Battery + Distilled Water ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2022, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21C
Battery + Distilled Water ?

I have a new to me2019 Escape 21C. The previous owner told me that I would need to add distilled water to the battery periodically.

I am wondering about this whole process and yesterday I winterized my trailer. I don't see anything on the battery and winterization. Any tips or tutorials would be appreciated.

A video tutorial on this would be great if there is one out there somewhere?
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
I have a new to me2019 Escape 21C. The previous owner told me that I would need to add distilled water to the battery periodically.

I am wondering about this whole process and yesterday I winterized my trailer. I don't see anything on the battery and winterization. Any tips or tutorials would be appreciated.

I don't have a video, but the process of adding water to the battery is a regular year round maintenance item, not specific to winterization. Pull the caps off the cells, and add distilled water so the plates are covered, but not quite up to the top of each cell. Check the water level and top up at least 2 or 3 times a year.

I am assuming you have a wet cell (lead acid) battery, it can be left in your trailer over the winter if it is fully charged. If you have power where your trailer is stored, you could attach a trickle charger to help keep the battery charged. If not inconvenient you could remove the battery to a warm storage area. I have a mild winter, and a solar panel to keep my batteries charged, they simply stay in the trailer. There are quite a few different opinions and threads on this topic in the forum.

I don't have lithium batteries, they have different requirements for winterization. Others can chime in on this topic.

Edit: Of course you have flooded lead acid batteries, otherwise no need to add water. DOH!
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:

We check our 6volt batteries every 6 months and if the cells are not covered with water, we add distilled water until the cells are covered with about 1/8" to1/4" of water over the cells. Our battery stays charged all winter with just solar charging, and we live in Southern California so no winterizing just camping.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

After removing the on the battery caps. If the electrolyte level is below the fill level indicator collar extending down into the battery cell as depicted in this photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-cell-2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	65502

Add distilled water.

Name:	Batteru fill 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	65501

Until the electrolyte just touches the fill level indicator collar as depicted in the photo below.

Name:	Batteru fill.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	65500

Note: you don't want to fill the battery past the bottom of the fill level indicator collar as this may cause the electrolyte to boil over. In the first photo you can see the slots in the side of the fill level indicator collar this provides the necessary spacing to prevent boil over.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 21
For those of us where one battery is had to get to like in our 21 I use this
Attached Thumbnails
4584BF9A-2F0D-45CA-B4DB-F92A8B3E9AD6.jpg  
Old 10-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
A turkey baster works well for battery watering
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
A turkey baster works well for battery watering
If you call it a "battery syringe filler" you can charge more for it.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 21
Regular Turkey basters do not last that long the one I pictured, I have used for 12 yrs now on all my vehicle and tractor batteries. Spend a little more n not worry about replacing for a long time
Old 10-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I hope mine lasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Regular Turkey basters do not last that long the one I pictured, I have used for 12 yrs now on all my vehicle and tractor batteries. Spend a little more n not worry about replacing for a long time
I just used the same battery electrolyte topper baster doodad to remove gasoline from a rototiller for winter storage. Dried it out well to minimize any degradation.

I decided, with Thanksgiving coming up soon, not to use the kitchen turkey baster for this task, although it works well too. 86 octane turkey may not hit the spot.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I just had some hose and primer bulb laying in the garage. They were NOS for me, so it’s how I fill my batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
1EDB25D5-8518-4475-BB7F-D95C47991553.jpg  
brroberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My current solution is/was to switch to lithium batteries, but when I had a pair of 6V wet cells with at least one of the filler holes under the seat, I added a battery watering system. It works like an outboard motor gas system - pump the bulb until it won't pump anymore & you are done for a couple of months.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I just used the same battery electrolyte topper baster doodad to remove gasoline from a rototiller for winter storage. Dried it out well to minimize any degradation.

I decided, with Thanksgiving coming up soon, not to use the kitchen turkey baster for this task, although it works well too. 86 octane turkey may not hit the spot.
No, But it would make for interesting table conversation!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yes, indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
No, But it would make for interesting table conversation!
Haranguing me would be more enjoyable for some than talking politics at the Holiday dinner table, that's for certain.

Pass the bumpkin pie, if you please.

I once lived in a rural spot where a nearby underground gasoline tank leaked. The well water there was like 8 octane. I didn't drink it, but you could smell it. I did wash things with it. No fires or explosions from the kitchen tap, luckily.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
One of the tasks I had for our city in the late 80s and early 90s was the removal of 14 underground gasoline and diesel storage tanks at park and other shops. It was a learning experience to be sure. Superfund cleanup applications, disposal of contaminated fuel, disposal of contaminated soil, installation of monitoring wells. And so on.

It was an eye opener for me but all worked out well in the end. It did give me a lot better perspective on underground contamination. Then came the clean water act and the installation of over 100 backflow prevention devices. Again, learning curve but with determination for the doing the job for the citizen.

As for me, Separate bulb for turkeys, siphoning liquid out, putting liquid in Thank you very much. Next pesticide application and finally certified pubic swimming pool operation and handling 150 lb. cylinders of gas chlorine a la Bhopal. Retirement is better.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I use distilled water in not only the flooded lead acid batteries, but also with my vehicle antifreeze coolant. Not needed in the Escape though.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #16
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
For flooded lead acid batteries, I have always used a paper 3 oz Dixie cup that can be creased to form a thin pour spout. The cup is one-use and thrown out due to potential contamination from sulfuric acid. I do have a hydrometer to test the specific gravity of the battery acid. The hydrometer is thoroughly rinsed after use and stored in a ziploc bag.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #17

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for all the replies. I have a much better understanding of the situation now. I definitely might need a turkey baster to get to it. I will tackle this as one of my next projects.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #18

I like this solution!!
Old 10-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #19

Thanks so much for the photos!!!!
Old 03-25-2023, 06:49 PM   #20

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
TTMartin: Thanks for providing the photos. I needed them today