Battery Replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Battery Replacement

Hi Folks;
Our 2015 5.0 still has the original Interstate deep cycle batteries. I'd like to replace them before they become a problem. Does anyone have recommendations on good replacements?
Vin and Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Mine lasted 7 years and replaced with the same Interstate 6V from Costco. Under $100 each.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When replacing mine went to Sam's Club for a pair..........
Old 07-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Hi Folks;
Thanks for the replies. As I read up on deep cycle batteries, there is lots of talk on the benefits of AGM (advanced glass mat) style batteries - lighter weight, longer life, no spillage, less vibration concerns, etc. Does anyone have experience with this style battery?
Vin and Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin and Janice View Post
Hi Folks;
Thanks for the replies. As I read up on deep cycle batteries, there is lots of talk on the benefits of AGM (advanced glass mat) style batteries - lighter weight, longer life, no spillage, less vibration concerns, etc. Does anyone have experience with this style battery?
AGM are not lighter for the same Amp Hours and require a bit more TLC, but the advantages for those of us that have the batteries inside is you don't need to check water levels, and they don't set off your propane detector due to off gassing.

As to replacing your current batteries, it might be worth getting them load tested. While some of us kill batteries in a couple of years, many go over 7 years on a pair. It is unusual for batteries that get past the first year or so to instantly fail; they just slowly fade away.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
AGM are not lighter for the same Amp Hours and require a bit more TLC, but the advantages for those of us that have the batteries inside is you don't need to check water levels, and they don't set off your propane detector due to off gassing.
Another big advantage of AGM is their ability to hold a charge when not in use. If charged up at the end of a trip they will remain charged for the next trip. And if charged for the winter then they can remain in the trailer with only a bit of solar to keep them at 100% (necessary to avoid freezing.) Do double check that the battery disconnect switch is in the off position for winter storage if leaving them connected in the trailer. Sure beats hauling #140 of battery home.

And yes, they are as heavy as lead!

Regarding the TLC: The only thing I did for my 2015 AGMs is set the solar charger to no equalization, per the manufacture's literature. Most, but apparently not all, AGMs dislike being charged over 14.4V.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin and Janice View Post
As I read up on deep cycle batteries, there is lots of talk on the benefits of AGM (advanced glass mat) style batteries - lighter weight, longer life, no spillage, less vibration concerns, etc.
AGM is actually "absorbed glass mat", meaning that the liquid electrolyte (the acid solution) is absorbed (soaked up) in a mat of glass fibres, so there's no free liquid sloshing around. About the same amount of material is required, so they're not lighter for the same charge capacity, but the don't spill (they don't even have normally open vents) and they handle vibration better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
And yes, they are as heavy as lead!
... because they are lead-acid batteries.

Of course a lead-acid battery is far from completely filled with lead, so no lead-acid battery is anywhere close to as heavy as a lead block of the same dimensions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I replaced my 2 6volt with Trojan batteries.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I went the AGM route due to frequent propane alarms. They solved that issue. It is nice not having to refill water. In looking for AGM’s I zeroed in on the number of discharges or cycles they could do. What I found were several products that claimed 3,000. I choose one of those.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery