Battery Smell and Access Problem - 21C - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Escape has used a number of different battery boxes. My 2017 21C used a long, narrow box that held the 2 6V batteries "end to end" rather than "side to side". It had the same problem if trying to fill the left most cell of the left battery; I added a watering system.

All gone now - I converted to lithium...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1265.jpg  
Old 10-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #22
kym

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
We have a 2017 5.0TA. Regarding access to check fluid levels in our U shaped dinette it is not possible to see the last few cells for fluid level check or to easily top up (2 6 V batteries). I drilled another hole in the plywood seat above the hidden cells large enough to see the cells with caps off and also large enough to allow a battery hydrometer to pass. With a flash light into the hole I can easily see the fluid levels in the cells as I add using the hydrometer after drawing distilled water from its container with the hydrometer. Cost $0 as I already had the hydrometer, no spilling and easily topped to the correct level.
kym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I replaced the battery box weather strip with automotive type years ago. False alarms on propane detector went away and I don't get any odor. That said, other issues might be going on to cause odors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
81Vh816JQPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #24
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Following the response from Escape, I removed the lid of the bench. The opening from the edge of the plywood to the edge of the battery box is ~10". The width of the battery is at least 12", which doesn't fit through the opening. How have other 21C owners removed the battery from the box? Thanks for any advice!
I trimmed the wood so that the battery would fit through. It was fairly easy to do, and allowed me to change out the flooded batteries with AGM's.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access, battery, smell