Bears breaking into windows? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2022, 06:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B Wannabe
Bears breaking into windows?

Does it make any difference which windows you have, framed (sliding) or unframed, as far as bears breaking in is concerned? I've seen bears break open windows on cars which were left open only a small crack, just enough for the bear to get their claws in and pull.

Has anyone had trouble with bears breaking in?
Terrell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
This guy was hanging around the campsite next to us in Jasper last summer.

Wasn't interested in us at all despite us just having eaten our dinner outdoors. He was too busy eating dandelions.

Never worried about a bear breaking into the trailer and if he tried then he'd get a bit of bear spray.

I'd guess if a bear tried to break in that the framed windows would be much more difficult. On a frameless window one claw under it and it could probably be wrenched off.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
26-07-2021 8-32-41 PM_0585_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:44 PM   #3

Wow, that's a big one! Thanks for the response. I am interested in the 17B (have not bought one yet), and am wondering about which windows to order. I love camping in the Rockies, and have seen (and experienced bears) many times. They are super smart, strong, and hungry.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’d agree with Ron after living in Alaska for 25 years. I’ve ever had trouble with them hiking or camping although they did frequent our deck and driveway during the 10 years we lived in Ketchikan.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:46 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the bears are more afraid of humans than vice versa.....
Old 05-04-2022, 07:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I don't think you should make decision of which windows based on how easy it is for a bear to open.

A bear can easily pop the windshield out of a Suburban or take a window frame out of a cabin. They could easily take the door off an Escape. Maybe not a small or young black bear but a larger bear would have no problem.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bear with me for a moment.

What type of bear? Black, brown, polar?
If they want in, they'll get in. It seems to be only a matter of time difference between window frame removal, but frameless may speed things up.

Walk softly, and carry a big can of bear spray.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am one who never worried about bears, and have had lots around me when backcountry camping, and while camping in a trailer. While proper caution should always be used near bears or even in bear country, I find it easy to accept they are there and love watching them when possible.

To be fair, in the backcountry they do everything they can to avoid humans, not so much near civilized areas.

It has never crossed my mind to worry about a bear getting in my trailer windows, though if they really wanted to...........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Per the recommendation of people living with bears in the Lake Tahoe region, we wipe down the outside of doors and windows with full strength Pine Sol each night (both trailer and truck). Apparently they do not like the smell of Pine Sol. We have had bear tracks outside of our trailer and truck, and once a huge pee spot...but not even a scratch on either the trailer or the truck.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY II View Post
Apparently they do not like the smell of Pine Sol.
But, they choose to live among the pines, and use them as back scratchers.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But, they choose to live among the pines, and use them as back scratchers.
You made me curious, so I went looking and found an article from Colorado Parks & Wildlife that says in part:
If you keep small livestock, keep animals in a fully covered enclosure. Construct electric fencing if possible. Don’t store livestock food outside, keep enclosures clean to minimize odors, hang rags soaked in ammonia and/or Pine-Sol around the enclosure.

So maybe there's something to it after all. However, I also saw a comment on an Amazon review, claiming that Pine Sol no longer contains any pine oil; Wikipedia concurs. I think King Pine still contains the real deal.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I also saw a comment on an Amazon review, claiming that Pine Sol no longer contains any pine oil;
Making it "organic"?
Apparently, bears are attracted to white pine.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
I spend time in the Rockies, and there are always bear sightings where we camp.

I really have no knowledge re easiest window design for bears to break.

But understand that bears have an incredible sense of smell. Consequently, it’s important to remove all garbage from your trailer & TV. If they have reason to believe there is food near your trailer, they will return to your campsite. Keep coolers inside the trailer. Garbage needs to be placed in a bear proof receptacle. If you’re using a Grill, burn/scrub all food off it and stow the grill section inside the trailer. Don’t wring moisture from towels outside of your trailer.

Bear spray is a good investment, but understand/learn where to aim it.

Bear attacks occur when they are surprised by hikers. So make noise when you’re hiking to alert a bear so they can move avoid you. I usually talk to my dogs or sing a song.

I’m going to check out @ROWDY II Pine Sol suggestion. Though it does not seem like something I’d actually do n a daily/nightly basis.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #14

While camping in the Rockies with our daughter, in the morning when I woke up she said, "Dad, didn't you hear the bears and all the noise?" I asked, "What noise?" She said, "Car horns, car alarms, people shouting, and I was yelling, 'Dad! Dad!' trying to wake you up." A sow and her two cubs had climbed all over our car, leaving paw prints and scratches. You could see from the scratches and muddy prints that they had tried all the windows and doors. Fortunately for us, they failed to get in, and went down the line and broke the window on a truck and tore open the sliding door on a van. I've had many experiences of bears opening "lunch boxes on wheels," but so far have not "served" them any food. Have any of you had a bear break into your trailer?
Old 05-06-2022, 07:14 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember we are intruding upon the bear's habitat, so they may not be the friendliest of hosts.....
Old 05-11-2022, 11:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Well, bear in mind, the frameless windows are indeed more “attract”ive. 😀

…and remember when hiking you can use bear bells, or as the bears call them, “dinner bells”. 😋
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell Smith View Post
Does it make any difference which windows you have, framed (sliding) or unframed, as far as bears breaking in is concerned? I've seen bears break open windows on cars which were left open only a small crack, just enough for the bear to get their claws in and pull.

Has anyone had trouble with bears breaking in?
We had a bear try to get into our trailer last summer in the Mammoth area. He tried to get the frameless door window off but was unable to. He did however scratch up the gel coat pretty good, but I was able to repair it like new again. I had never seen so many bears in the this camp ground before.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I think the best advice I would have coming from Alaska and camping most of my life in a tent is “Don’t eat bacon in your tent “. I’ve been woken up when a brown bear sow and cubs was going through a campground getting food from careless campers and after the commotion gone back to sleep in my tent. Not that I am fearless of bears, but they roam campgrounds for one reason FOOD. I wouldn’t cook burgers on our grill in an area with a lot of bears. If I did I think putting it in a large garbage bag and leaving it outside would be better than putting it in truck or trailer. I have a bear proof cooler and it stays outside. I would rather a bear destroy my grill and scratch up my cooler than mess with my truck or trailer.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfjb View Post
We had a bear try to get into our trailer last summer in the Mammoth area. He tried to get the frameless door window off but was unable to. He did however scratch up the gel coat pretty good, but I was able to repair it like new again. I had never seen so many bears in the this camp ground before.
A lot of these issues are due to poor camp cleanliness practices by park users and lack of enforcement by the operators of these areas. In the mountain national parks in Alberta, they are very strict about adhering to good camp cleanliness practices and bear issues are much less frequent (although bears are still around).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
“Don’t eat bacon in your tent “
Right. Don't eat ANYTHING in your tent. Nor have anything with a smell in the tent, such as toothpaste, soap, snacks, etc. I could tell a number of stories about what happens when people ignore this rule in bear country. Bears have a very good sense of smell. And can peek in car windows to see what's inside, even when it's pretty dark. And they have learned how to open cars. Trailers?

Tags
bear, framed, unframed, window