bed in the 21 Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: planning to purchase
bed in the 21 Escape

A little concerned the bed in the 21 not alot of room. Has anyone found it quite an adjustment from a Queen bed at home. We both get so warm,. . We live in Canada. Has anyone felt they did not have enough room, We are 250 pounds and 160 pounds. This is probably abit of a dumb question, but is waying on our decision to weather to go for the 21. Escacpe. We love the trailer and are so on the fence with this. Thanks.
northside2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would not let the size of the bed be the road block in your decision process
We find. the bed in the 21 to be quite comfortable
At least we haven’t lost any sleep over it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The larger queen bed in the 19 has the climb over issue, whereas the 21 bed does not.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We didn't go with a 21 due to the bed size. Got lucky when ETI built the 5.0TA with a full queen not long after the 21 came out. It is of course a big change going from a trailer to a fifth wheel, it's not for everyone.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i'm 230 lbs 6' tall, my wife is 200+ (won't tell me, which makes planning weights difficult) and 5'2, and we both fit fine on the 21's bed. I'm on the street side, and get out of bed by skinnying down along the wall, while she's on the curb/bath side ... i tend to drink more beer than she does, so I'm doing more middle-of-the-night bathroom runs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Our weight ratio is the same n we have plenty of room no issue for either one of us getting out of bed
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jimmy Dean sang the song. Kinda wide at the shoulders and narra at the hip. He wasn’t describing me. It’s kinda broad at the shoulders and lots broader at the hip. We have no problems with the 21 bed. It would be nice if you could at least lay on the beds at a rally and get an idea.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It would be nice if you could at least lay on the beds at a rally and get an idea.
Iowa Dave

A variation on "Torque my nutz" ?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We have a queen at home, and do not find there is much of a difference at all. In fact, we bought the same pillows that we have at home and it's just like sleeping in our own bed! We did get the extra insulation as noise usually keeps us awake and it's pretty quiet inside, even when we had some partiers beside us. I believe the bed in the 21 is as long as a queen, so at 6' tall, you shouldn't have a problem with the length. You also have the opening window beside the bed, so whoever is sleeping on the driver side of the trailer can open it. There's also the option of A/C, but the max fan does a pretty good job as well. If you are considering the 21, and being in Campbell River, it would definitely be worth the weekend trip over to check them out at Escape. You would likely be able to see the 19 and 5.0 as well to compare.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jimmy Dean sang the song. Kinda wide at the shoulders and narra at the hip. He wasn’t describing me. It’s kinda broad at the shoulders and lots broader at the hip. We have no problems with the 21 bed. It would be nice if you could at least lay on the beds at a rally and get an idea.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I'm a perfect 40. 40 chest, 40 waist, and 40 hips. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We didn't go with a 21 due to the bed size. Got lucky when ETI built the 5.0TA with a full queen not long after the 21 came out. It is of course a big change going from a trailer to a fifth wheel, it's not for everyone.
Hi Padlin, can you elaborate on "It is of course a big change going from a trailer to a fifth wheel, it's not for everyone."?
Thanks, Ronn
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
1) 5th wheel HAS to be towed by a truck without a shell as the hitch goes in the middle of the truck bed. this greatly limits what you can carry in the tow vehicle, for instance, I wouldn't be able to haul my astronomy gear.

2) 5th wheels, the primary bed is 'upstairs' and requires some climbing to get into and out of , something my wife with her bad knees won't do.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have a queen bed at home and had a queen with our 19'. While climbing over my husband to get out was okay, what got to me was the fact the bed is rather high off the floor in the 19' and more than once I had a hard landing. The double bed in our 21' provides more than enough room for us and my husband has no problem getting out in the middle of the night. You really need to check out both the 19' and 21' in person to know what would suit your needs.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I worried about the same thing except that we have a king bed at home. I LOVE the bed in our 21. I always have the best sleeps when camping. I tend to sleep warm and stay on the driver side right up against the wall if it gets too warm. There is plenty of room for both of us. Having said that We do notice each other moving around more than we do at home. Then again we seem to sleep deeper when camping. We added a 2” thermapedic topper to the bed, use top quality linens and a soft fluffy duvet. It’s a wonderful cozy place to sleep!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
We have a queen at home and started with a 17 originally. However it definitely wasn’t big enough, being too narrow and too short especially as the male in the pair is 6ft. So we decided to upgrade. The biggest choice was the bed issue and decided that the easiest option was to go for the 21 as it avoided the whole climb over issue. However, we did go to the factory and try the bed in the 21 several times first and decided that the loss of width (but not length) compared with our queen bed would not be an issue. Admittedly, we don’t have our trailer yet, but as we survive fine on the narrower double beds when on European holidays, we believe the bed will be fine.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
We have only spent two nights so far in our new to us 21', we sleep at home in a queen size bed, we found the bed in the Escape had plenty of room. Of course we've also spent many nights in a 2 man back pack tent and we were comfortable (at least at the time LOL).
I'm pretty sure the bed in the 21' is the size of a full in width so even if you can't find an actual trailer to try maybe go mattress looking and lay on a full size to see what you think.
One last thing, I'm in my mid 50's and one thing I was taught while growing up was you never ask or talk about a woman's weight or age, of course it was my mother that taught me that.
Safe travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
1) 5th wheel HAS to be towed by a truck without a shell as the hitch goes in the middle of the truck bed. this greatly limits what you can carry in the tow vehicle, for instance, I wouldn't be able to haul my astronomy gear.

2) 5th wheels, the primary bed is 'upstairs' and requires some climbing to get into and out of , something my wife with her bad knees won't do.
I have a tonneau cover on my truck, which is closed all the time when not towing, but if there is any one complaint about using a 5.0TA is the limited storage in the bed. The layout of the trailer is fantastic though, the whole reason for getting one, and still find this to be true after 2 years.

Other than a bit taller risers, you go up and down the stairs just like you would at home. Lots of room to stand. You do need to crawl (scootch) into place a bit in the loft, no different then on the driver side of the 21.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
We have a queen at home and started with a 17 originally. However it definitely wasn’t big enough, being too narrow and too short especially as the male in the pair is 6ft. So we decided to upgrade. The biggest choice was the bed issue and decided that the easiest option was to go for the 21 as it avoided the whole climb over issue. However, we did go to the factory and try the bed in the 21 several times first and decided that the loss of width (but not length) compared with our queen bed would not be an issue. Admittedly, we don’t have our trailer yet, but as we survive fine on the narrower double beds when on European holidays, we believe the bed will be fine.
Good point about the beds in Europe. We recently slept in a double bed in a hotel for 3 nights and Did not sleep well at all. The bed itself was uncomfortable and felt really small maybe because we couldn’t sleep on the edges? Anyway after that experience i think the comfort of the bed is more important than the size at least in our situation.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
I think the way the bed is "boxed-in" on the 21 makes a difference. My wife and I normally sleep on a queen bed at home. We do not sleep well on a regular double bed when travelling. However, we sleep best in our Escape 21. Being surrounded by walls on three sides provides a sub-conscious feeling of safety. Even while sleeping, you don't worry about rolling out of bed and I personally sleep right next to the wall with no problems.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Much depends on what one (or a couple) is used to. When my wife was alive, we both slept on a full size bed for 42 years. No problems, no complaints, so I have no problem sleeping single on the Escape full side bed in the 21.

I know there are many couples that want/need the queen that the 19 provides, but if you are comfortable with a full size, the 21 makes it a bit easier for the middle of the night trips to the head...