Best cargo hitch rack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Best cargo hitch rack

Hey all,

Another “Best of” question: what are your favorite trailer cargo racks?

I’m looking at these two specifically:
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...ier-92655.html
Seems like a great deal and gets great reviews - but assembly may be a pain? Durability? Etc

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...rt/C18113.html
Great reviews, simple assembly,, looks totally quality - all metal (no plastic corners) — but more than twice as much.

A case of getting what you pay for?
Or the Harbor Freight one a better option?

I’m looking aluminum for longevity and weight. I would prefer a folding unit but I don’t see any aluminum that fold and get decent reviews.

Curious what you all recommend!
Thx.
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I have one a lot like the first one (Harbor Freight) from Amazon and it wasn't that bad to put together. The main thing with it was that I had to drill a second hole in the shaft as it was sticking out way behind the trailer. This is the one I have. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have had a folding aluminum rack for 4-years with no problems, and it had to be assembled, which I did in a campground in Petoskey, MI. I bought it at Menards.
Reviews are subjective and not necessarily appropriate for purchasing decisions. Just read a few on Amazon: “I rated this wastebasket one star because it looked smaller in the picture and it didn’t fit in the space where I wanted to put it.”

Are we getting an opinion on actual quality or just a statement based in stupidity? Really, “best” is a subjective at most.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
While I would trust Curt to make a $200 unit that's better then an $85 Harbor Freight, your only looking to haul 125 lbs (figuring the rack weighs 25 lbs) max on a rack that's rated for 500. If you have a local Harbor Freight you can buy it and if it turns out to be too cheesy to use, you have 90 days to return it. You don't want it bouncing around back there.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Reviews are subjective and not necessarily appropriate for purchasing decisions. .
Gotcha. But I have gotten pretty good at sussing out the useless from the useful. If a bunch of people say a rack rattles like crazy, I’m gonna be wary - that was the case with a lot of the aluminum folding racks.

If yours is working well, could you share manufacturer/model info?

And thanks Padlin, good point on the Harbor Freight model.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Gotcha. But I have gotten pretty good at sussing out the useless from the useful. If a bunch of people say a rack rattles like crazy, I’m gonna be wary - that was the case with a lot of the aluminum folding racks.

If yours is working well, could you share manufacturer/model info?

And thanks Padlin, good point on the Harbor Freight model.
Sorry, but I don’t remember the manufacturer’s name. However, the rattle is generally caused by looseness in the receiver, and there are devices that address this problem. Being able to fold up the rack when not being used was important for me, actually the prime consideration. Not at home, but tomorrow I will check the rack for manufacturer’s name and post a photo of anti-rattle device.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #7

Thanks. These reviews often mentioned that an anti rattle device didn’t help so I’ll be glad to get info on yours when you can.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #8

Dan, I cannot wiggle my rack by hand hardly at all with the anti-rattle device in place. But seriously, I find it difficult to understand how anyone could even hear a rattle at 50 or 60 mph several feet (depending on the length of the trailer) behind the tow vehicle on the rear of the trailer. Perhaps someone tailgating 6-feet behind you might hear it. As I stated earlier, I assembled the rack and started using it in Petoskey. My anti-rattle device was at home in Florida, and I didn’t add it until I returned home. Yet I never heard a rattle for the remained of that trip.
I will still post a photo as soon as possible.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Sorry, but I don’t remember the manufacturer’s name. However, the rattle is generally caused by looseness in the receiver, and there are devices that address this problem. Being able to fold up the rack when not being used was important for me, actually the prime consideration. Not at home, but tomorrow I will check the rack for manufacturer’s name and post a photo of anti-rattle device.
I forgot- mine does not rattle but does sag to one side. I got one such device but it wouldn't work (I forget why but it wouldn't fit somehow with the 17b back bumper and hitch). It hasn't been a problem but it is something to consider. And yes, folding would be nice.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I forgot- mine does not rattle but does sag to one side. I got one such device but it wouldn't work (I forget why but it wouldn't fit somehow with the 17b back bumper and hitch). It hasn't been a problem but it is something to consider. And yes, folding would be nice.
Sagging a bit on one side was why I added the anti-rattle device, not rattle. But I rarely remove the rack. I didn’t really purchase it to carry cargo although I have done so; I use it mainly to store things off the ground when set up in a campsite. So most of the time when traveling, it is folded up as shown in the photos I promised Dan.
Attached Thumbnails
BA7A388F-DB51-4DD7-9F0C-799E960C5770.jpg   38132388-9F44-47A9-8894-1F0D241CD326.jpg  
Old 09-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #11

Thanks so much, I’ll look into this. And for the record, this is Elizabeth, not Dan

With gratitude!!
Old 09-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Thanks so much, I’ll look into this. And for the record, this is Elizabeth, not Dan

With gratitude!!
Sorry Elizabeth. Typically it is the hubby (another assumption on my part!) asking this type of question. I can tell you that there is very little wiggle in my rack with this particular anti-rattle device. The only negative is that in the event I need to use the spare, I have to remove the rack to facilitate removal of the spare.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 - 19’ -- Our ‘Red Wagon ESCAPE’
Send a message via Yahoo to IBOACRES
Haven't used it yet on the Escape -- but it was nice on the Casita.
Attached Thumbnails
001 (Mobile).jpg   002 (Mobile).jpg   003 (Mobile).jpg   004 (Mobile).jpg   005 (Mobile).jpg  

006 (Mobile).jpg   007 (Mobile).JPG   008 (Mobile).JPG  
Old 10-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
This is ours
https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Black-R...dp/B001G4Z5J0/

It has done the job well.
-Dave
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black
We have one of these from our old trailer will be putting it on the back of her 5.0.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Boy, I look at the one from Harbor Freight and don't think that I could fabricate one for that price. Looks like a good deal to me. I'm going to be building a rear box about the same size as its' width and length. Tempting, too bad we don't have a Harbor Freight in Canada.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 15A
The best-made one I have seen is the Pakmule: https://pakmule.com/product/pakmule/

Not cheap though.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora;354562
I’m looking at these two specifically:
[url
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html[/url]
Seems like a great deal and gets great reviews - but assembly may be a pain? Durability? Etc
I have the Harbor Freight one.

I added a tailgate light bar with running lights, brake lights and turn signals to the back bottom edge it for safety.

I'm not sure how hard it was to put together, my wife did it.

I've only got a few thousand miles of actual use on it, but, it is holding up fine.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I bought a “Hitch Hauler” when one of my daughters went off to college because we couldn’t get all her stuff in a Dodge Dakota with a topper and the rear seat removed. I built a large reinforced plywood box that fit tightly in the frame and bolted through the the box to the inside for security and stability. I used the four pin on my hitch and put a set of lights on the hitch hauler as the box slightly obscured the tail lights. When I stopped at a rest stop, a state trooper complimented me on the lights, how I had secured the box and thought my ratchet straps were overkill, he liked them too. I’ve tried hard not to have to use it when I go camping although I’m sometimes tempted. I think the lights are essential especially if your cargo obscures the tail lights on the trailer. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 10-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and thought my ratchet straps were overkill, he liked them too.
Dave you sure he was not not referring to your suspenders you sometimes wear? ..........