Black tank won't empty! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
All I know, if there's any liquid in the tank in my trailer, if the valve is open even a tiny sliver, liquid starts trickling out. At least that way, I'd know the valve is opening... some.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Evidently there must be a lot of fun devising a solution for a problem that you don't know if you have because it's seems to be a popular pastime.

By golly Donna, you're absolutely right, except for the two person part. Since I've never stuck my face up close to the cap end of the waste valve I didn't think you could actually see round the bend to see if the valve is open. That's why I suggested using a flexible wire to see if the valve was open or not.

But, since my valve is brand new and unused I tested it out. You're right, if you get up close and personal you can see enough of the slide to tell if it's open or not. Not bad to do on a new valve but on a used one.... maybe shoving a wire in might be preferable to some folks.

Ron
All you need is a mirror with an extendable handle and a flashlight to see around the bend in the sewer pipe. Far easier and more sanitary than sticking your hand up the pipe or your face for that matter .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
maybe shoving a wire in might be preferable to some folks.

Ron
I'm with you on that, Ron!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, bottom line is if you think that there's a problem with the valve opening, establish that before wasting a lot of energy solving problems you might not have.

But, really, snakes, flashlights and mirrors are so yesterday. Everyone nowadays has a phone with a camera. Just put it down close and the flash will light up the interior and tell you in seconds if the slides open.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Everyone nowadays has a phone with a camera. Just put it down close and the flash will light up the interior and tell you in seconds if the slides open.

Ron
I can buy a cheapy flashlight for a buck. No way in 'el am I putting my $800 phone close to "sewage" to get a some light. It's not waterproof so I can wash it off if needed!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can buy a cheapy flashlight for a buck. No way in 'el am I putting my $800 phone close to "sewage" to get a some light. It's not waterproof so I can wash it off if needed!
The "light" is the flash taking a photo that you can look at without putting your face anywhere near the outlet. The camera doesn't have to be all that close either. If there's stuff dripping out then it's a new ballgame.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
This thread has been an instructive and entertaining read this morning, much better than the regular morning intake of news as I listen to the snow plows in the street.
Gets me wondering about what awaits in a couple of months, ups the excitement factor.
I hope the fellow in Florida is a happier camper.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
The "light" is the flash taking a photo that you can look at without putting your face anywhere near the outlet. The camera doesn't have to be all that close either. If there's stuff dripping out then it's a new ballgame.

Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
This thread has been an instructive and entertaining read this morning, much better than the regular morning intake of news as I listen to the snow plows in the street.
Gets me wondering about what awaits in a couple of months, ups the excitement factor.
Jean-Pierre, I feel your "pain." I can still remember the sound of snow plows in the street and the sting of sub-freezing temperatures (not to mention the seemingly endless chore of snow removal) from my pre-1985 existence in New Hampshire. Cheer up, winter can't last too much longer!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #49

!
I think I'd rather be blowing the snow out of the driveway than sticking flashlights up my Escape's dark zone!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
!
I think I'd rather be blowing the snow out of the driveway than sticking flashlights up my Escape's dark zone!
Hi: JPSpins... You can fool your Escapes digestive tract... but "You can't fool Mother Nature"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
NO snow or snow plows but we do have -2 below zero F this morning. Spring is in the air , the sun is higher in the sky and our lake is starting to loose its' ice cover.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
NO snow or snow plows but we do have -2 below zero F this morning. Spring is in the air , the sun is higher in the sky and our lake is starting to loose its' ice cover.
Hi: steve dunham... That is the result of "Ice fishing" to extinction!!! Alf
Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Last gasp?

I blew the snow off the driveway about the same time this thread started and
I've been clean for two days. We had about 5 inches but the longer sun's rays
melted quite a bit on Moday afternoon. About 0 degrees F last night but 55 by Sunday.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2164.jpg   IMG_2159.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #54

It will go away eventually...so they say.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #55

What?! Pictures on the Escape forum without an Escape present? Yikes! Must find another thread.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #56

Quote:
What?! Pictures on the Escape forum without an Escape present? Yikes! Must find another thread.
Hi: JPSpins... It's out behind the shed. That way there's no room for Dave there.
Now back to the black tank dilemma. "Shine the light, oh, oh, oh, shine the light". Alf
Old 03-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #57

Trailer: 2006 17B
Wow. This thread sure meanders through the land of waste! I am happy to report that there is no problem with the sewer valve, although if I ever do have one, I will know what to check for and what not to do! After initial panic, and time to think, I did check that the valve was opening. I have concluded that I under estimated how full the tank was (7.5 gal. only) and that the monitor is faulty. Because we were camping 4 nights, we only used Escape toilet during evening and night and stopped flushing TP this year (habit one learns in Mexico where septics can't handle). Someone mentioned tanks don't empty well if not very full, and I think she's correct. I also am realizing how inaccurate the monitor is for grey and black tanks. So, I do appreciate all the advice, the quick response to my pleas for guidance and especially the video! Was that really Robin Williams? Also, I am not a "fellow", but a 63 year old woman who likes to repair things herself.....
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #58

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
Was that really Robin Williams?
Yes, from the 2006 movie RV. Truly a classic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The monitor will be inaccurate if TP gets hung up on a sensor. Most TP is safe for septic. Read the label and it will likely say. Start with at least a gallon of water in the black tank. Use Odorlos which deodorizes and breaks down solids and TP.
Attached Thumbnails
Cascades TP.png   odor.jpg  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
Wow. This thread sure meanders through the land of waste! I am happy to report that there is no problem with the sewer valve, although if I ever do have one, I will know what to check for and what not to do! After initial panic, and time to think, I did check that the valve was opening. I have concluded that I under estimated how full the tank was (7.5 gal. only) and that the monitor is faulty. Because we were camping 4 nights, we only used Escape toilet during evening and night and stopped flushing TP this year (habit one learns in Mexico where septics can't handle). Someone mentioned tanks don't empty well if not very full, and I think she's correct. I also am realizing how inaccurate the monitor is for grey and black tanks. So, I do appreciate all the advice, the quick response to my pleas for guidance and especially the video! Was that really Robin Williams? Also, I am not a "fellow", but a 63 year old woman who likes to repair things herself.....
Well, Riverplace, thank you for the entertaining thread you started! BTW there are a few devices you can use to spray the black tank out with some pretty fancy but I usually use a hose at the dump station to spray it out through the toilet opening. Can't always trust sensors... but hosing out the tank some when dumping seems to help. Also I was taught to dump the black first because the gray water will.clean out the dump tube. It is a crappy job but it beats not camping in style! Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote