Bluetooth problem with audio unit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Bluetooth problem with audio unit

We opted for the ETI installed BOSS audio unit (BV6656B) in our 5.0TA. It is supposed to be bluetooth compatible, which includes the ability to connect with mobile devices like phones and laptops so audio sources can be broadcast to the speakers. Yesterday I was trying to do just that but could not get the unit to become discoverable (I have a lot of other BT devices that easily connect). In other words, it would not show up as a bluetooth device to either of our phones (iphone and android) or macbooks. I called up BOSS tech support and ran through the procedure with them but to no avail. In fact he told me I needed to have the unit replaced and to open a ticket to do that. So I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem or had some special procedure?
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Another bluetooth issue thread

Here is another thread about bluetooth issues with BOSS audio system. Turned out to be a defective radio which ETI replaced under warranty.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #3

Thanks. I also contacted BOSS and have sent them the radio for repair/replacement. It must have been defective from the factory as we haven't used it at all.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I had the same issue with my brand new unit on our first camping trip this last week. The odd thing is that I knew it worked because I successfully connected my iPhone X to it at Orientation the week before. Reading the Boss manual it says it is discoverable when first turned on.

It was a pain but this is what worked for me.

I disconnected from shore power, then turned off the battery disconnect switch, effectively turning off all power to the Boss unit. Let everything sit for a minute or two, then turned the battery switch back on, reconnected shore power, waited for the EMS to cycle. I then opened the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone so I was ready and turned on the Boss radio. It showed up in my iPhone and connected.

After that I was able to connect the two units normally while camped. I haven’t tried to use the Boss radio since we retuned home. I will try again later today and report back.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

I actually tried to disconnect from shore power and then pulled the 12V fuse for it. Turned everything back on but still wasn't discoverable. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We've also been having issues connecting Bluetooth with our Boss picked up Dec 6th. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I like the idea of completely powering it down (dead) to see if "toggling" the radio helps. I'll give it a try.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

Fixed BOSS Radio BT issue.

For those with the factory installed BOSS Radio, it sometimes does not connect to bluetooth. Per my post below, I discovered that completely disconnecting it from all power, restores BT function. But disconnecting shore power and cycling the battery disconnect switch is a royal PIA.

So I added a toggle switch to the back of the housing and now it is really easy to power down the radio. As part of doing this mod and researching the wiring, I discovered the issue. The BOSS assumes it will be installed in a car or truck and that it will be powered down when the ignition is turned off. The radio does it bluetooth pairing or reconnecting during the power up cycle. But the way it is wired in the trailer it always has power. A toggle switch on the back was an easy solution.

I apologize for not taking photos of the process, but it is pretty easy to do. There is plenty of room on the lower rear of the housing to install a switch. There are two wires, red and yellow from the radio to the trailer 12V+ lead. Just cut that lead and install the switch leads inline. I used a sealed switch that already had leads so I wouldn't need to extend any of the existing wiring.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/bep-m...1?recordNum=44

The added benefit is that my wife doesn't like the blue glow from the radio faceplate during the night. I used to remove the faceplate before bed. Now, I simply turn off the switch.

Edit: would an admin kindly flip the middle photo right side up? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
1F354932-A127-4ED7-81FF-2257A06BE0BD.jpg   99BC873B-6EBD-4317-BC7D-C649E99112B2.jpg   BEA53340-2349-4C56-8265-6B30E38C0563.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
What a great idea, Arnie! We don't use the bluetooth feature, but do hate the bright light at night, we made a black felt flap attached with velcro to hang over the faceplate at night...too much trouble to keep removing the face plate. But a simple toggle switch will be so much better, I am definitely stealing this idea.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
There are two wires, red and yellow from the radio to the trailer 12V+ lead. Just cut that lead and install the switch leads inline.
Nice solution but I have a question. If the yellow lead is BATT 12V+ (Constant) and red is ACC 12V+ (Accessory) shouldn’t only the red wire be switched? If you are cutting power on the yellow wire you will lose any settings.
Attached Thumbnails
99D02F7B-5D8D-4232-A719-825F8FE19D98.jpg  
Old 04-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Nice solution but I have a question. If the yellow lead is BATT 12V+ (Constant) and red is ACC 12V+ (Accessory) shouldn’t only the red wire be switched? If you are cutting power on the yellow wire you will lose any settings.
You may be right. But in practice the radio stations assigned to the buttons are all I care about and they still work. I don't use the clock. Escape has both Red and Yellow wires connected to the single 12V + source. So I just installed the switch on that single source wire rather than make multiple connections. Also I wanted the display lights to go out. I did not experiment to see if they would go dark if just the red wire was switched.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
You may be right. But in practice the radio stations assigned to the buttons are all I care about and they still work. I don't use the clock. Escape has both Red and Yellow wires connected to the single 12V + source. So I just installed the switch on that single source wire rather than make multiple connections. Also I wanted the display lights to go out. I did not experiment to see if they would go dark if just the red wire was switched.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Question for those who had Escape install their radio’s ? What kind and where did Escape install the radio’s antenna ? Thankyou in advance . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
On our 2018 19'er, the antenna for the Bose is right thru the hull from the radio on the top side of the trailer. The one question I have is why is the antenna slanted back at a 45 deg angle, and not straight up? And it's keyed, so one can't set it straight up without breaking the sealing caulk and loosing the antenna's mount. I would think most radio signals are vertically polarized.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4793.jpg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
On our 2018 19'er, the antenna for the Bose is right thru the hull from the radio on the top side of the trailer. The one question I have is why is the antenna slanted back at a 45 deg angle, and not straight up? And it's keyed, so one can't set it straight up without breaking the sealing caulk and loosing the antenna's mount. I would think most radio signals are vertically polarized.
Thankyou again Greg for quick response . I guess I would assume it is slanted at 45 for going down the road . Is is a rubber antenna or ? If you eve get a picture would be very interested ! Sounds like they made a hole in roof ? Pat
Old 04-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thankyou again Greg for quick response . I guess I would assume it is slanted at 45 for going down the road . Is is a rubber antenna or ? If you eve get a picture would be very interested ! Sounds like they made a hole in roof ? Pat
Here's a photo of the antenna on our 5.0TA, I assume the mounting is pretty similar on all models. Small hole in the side up high - the radio is right on the other side of it. I've never handled it but it does look like a somewhat flexible rubber covered antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna.jpg  
Old 04-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Here's a photo of the antenna on our 5.0TA, I assume the mounting is pretty similar on all models. Small hole in the side up high - the radio is right on the other side of it. I've never handled it but it does look like a somewhat flexible rubber covered antenna.
Thankyou David for the picture ! Yes looks like a flexible rubber antenna . Pat
Old 04-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Mine is in the same place as David's on my 5.0 but it is not keyed. It rotates easily but with some friction so it stays where you put it. You can see in this picture when I was waxing my trailer a few weeks ago, I had it positioned horizontal to keep it out of my way while waxing the roof.

Oops. Photo needs rotating.
Attached Images

- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Mine is in the same place as David's on my 5.0 but it is not keyed. It rotates easily but with some friction so it stays where you put it. You can see in this picture when I was waxing my trailer a few weeks ago, I had it positioned horizontal to keep it out of my way while waxing the roof.

Oops. Photo needs rotating.
Thankyou Arnie ! Pat
Old 04-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thankyou Arnie ! Pat
LOL! I just looked out the window at my trailer and it is still horizontal. I forgot to put it back to 45 degrees.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
LOL! I just looked out the window at my trailer and it is still horizontal. I forgot to put it back to 45 degrees.
Pat

Tags
audio, bluetooth, stereo