Boss Audio System - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Question Boss Audio System

Our new trailer came with a Boss Audio system. This unit apparently will play DVDs. I have not been able to discern how to connect the television to the player (model BV6654B). The tv has a port for HDMI while the player appears to have a USB port on the front. I am not able to see the back. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ray it looks like it the component style jacks on the back for video output, the two yellow ones.
Attached Thumbnails
BV6654B_REAR.JPG  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I, too, struggled with this as I was getting darned frustrated. I think I finally either called Reace or asked him when I took the trailer up to Chilliwack for something else. At any rate, with my system all I have to do is plug two cables from the television into panel below the counter (see picture). The cable from the "Cable (or Satellite) Input" on the television goes into the white jack on the left and the audio cable Audio In (or maybe Audio Out--can't remember from here) from the television goes into the yellow jack on the right. Then, of course, the television has to be set to the correct input on the screen to "know" that it's a DVD (and not Satellite/Cable to be viewed.

I was making it way too difficult at first, trying to go from my audio system directly to the television. It was already hardwired during the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert-010.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

My trailer only has the plug for the co-axial cable. There is no HDMI jack or yellow video plug. I will have to call Escape. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #5

Well, nuts. I thought my situation was similar to yours and the fact that I was making it so difficult at the start (trying to go directly from my stereo/DVD player to the television) sounded like what you were attempting. And yes, the yellow jack is video input, not audio. My trailer is is storage for the summer so I couldn't remember.

Good luck!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Ray you will have to access the back of your stereo and plug a wire into your video out rca jack (see Thor's picture above) then plug the other end into a video input on your tv. This will allow you to play the DVD in your stereo, watch it on the tv and the sound will come from the stereo.

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

I guess I don't understand if the trailer is new and came with an ETI-installed sound system, why the video output from the system wasn't hardwired in from the get-go like mine?? Maybe mine was cable/satellite ready or something? I just don't remember.

I don't envy Ray trying to access the back to plug in cables. I even bought one of the mirrors-on-a-handle thing and I had a heck of a time trying to do this. At any rate, it was a non-starter as I found out later.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Boss Audio System

Karen you must have ordered TV ready or another TV option that ETI had then. If Ray didn't order any TV option then ETI wouldn't prewire for TV . If the Boss is mounted under a cabinet like mine in our 21 is, then the mount is easy to just unscrew and get full access to the back of the unit.

If Ray did order a TV ready package then ETI forgot to do that wiring and I would contact them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Yes, the trailer was supposed to be tv ready. We have the jack antenna, cable port on the outside and inside and DVD player. I will call Escape later today to get their advice.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
Yes, the trailer was supposed to be tv ready. We have the jack antenna, cable port on the outside and inside and DVD player. I will call Escape later today to get their advice.
Ray, check the plate which has the coax and Jack amplifier switch on it if there is an RCA jack that will be the video out from the DVD player, the audio is played via the sound system. That is how mine is wired.
Attached Thumbnails
021.JPG  
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #11

Thanks. There is no RCA jack on the plate. Just the coaxial jack and the switch for the Jack antenna.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thanks. There is no RCA jack on the plate. Just the coaxial jack and the switch for the Jack antenna.
What is that item on top of the coaxial in the picture?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

In the pictures that were provided by Karen and David there is a yellow RCA jack. It sounds like this would normally be the connection between the television and DVD player. This seems to have been omitted in my trailer.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes with my 17 i just plugged the connector in to the wall next to the TV everything was right there and the sound/DVD connection was right there. I hoping my new one will be the same that is why i got the Escape DVD player/sound system TV ready package it was easy and worked well.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #15

I spoke to Escape Trailers today and was told that they no longer offer the DVD/tv connector (RCA jack) due to complications with running the wires. It was suggested that I remove the DVD player to get access to the rear of the machine for connecting the television. It did not really make sense to me. I have to take another look at the trailer to see if there is an easy way to pull the DVD player forward in the housing to see if there is access. It is frustrating in that I thought TV Ready meant that it would be easy to connect the tv to the DVD player. I admit that it was easy to connect the coax cable and the photos that people have shared with the coax, jack antenna switch and yellow video plug look pretty sweet. For some reason it appears that Escape has stopped doing that.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #16

This is so disappointing. And I don't understand it either.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-10-2017, 07:12 AM   #17

Ray where is the Boss mounted on your 19'? On the 21 it hangs under a cabinet and is quite easy to take the mount loose and gain rear access.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #18

Thanks for all the comments. I still don't have this sorted so may stop into Escape Trailers when I am in the area in October. For those who have been able to connect their tvs to the Boss DVD player can you please describe the connector cable. I am particularly interested in connecting a yellow video out RCA jack to an HDMI plug on the television. Is this possible?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
I am particularly interested in connecting a yellow video out RCA jack to an HDMI plug on the television. Is this possible?
Ray you'd need something like one of these: RCA to HDMI Converter

Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am particularly interested in connecting a yellow video out RCA jack to an HDMI plug on the television. Is this possible?
The data on the DVD is digital; DVD literally means "digital versatile disc". That means that you would be converting the digital data to a really low-quality type of analog signal (which comes out of the yellow RCA jack), then back to digital either in some cheaply made adapter or in the TV (since all flat-screen monitors are inherently digital).

I'm sure that it can be made to work. It would be easiest to avoid the extra converter box and just let the TV do the conversion, by connecting the yellow video cable to the corresponding input of the TV, but you can only do this if your TV has that input - most do.

There is a manual in this forum's Files collection: Boss Audio BV6654B (perhaps from earlier in this disussion).
Unfortunately, it suggests that the Boss Audio System does not have the HDMI output which any reasonable DVD player would, so you can't avoid the conversions to that old analog video signal and back. I suppose this is the result of being intended for use in a car. If this is not the right manual, and there is a correct one, I would be interested in seeing it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote