Bouncing While Towing - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Ok so the previous step by step instruction was very helpful to me. I'm with you through the point of measuring a fixed point over the axle. What would you recommend doing after that? Following the remainder of the instructions but continuing with a goal of keeping both the front and rear fixed points over the axles level with their starting point?
You can't do anything about the height at the rear axle (it will end up lower than without the trailer, but not as low as with the trailer and no WD).

The goal for the height at the front axle is to end up close to its starting point, but no lower. That means that the front axle load (weight carried by the tires) is about the same as without the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
so I guess we would check the tongue weight while empty, then would I first measure the weight of things before adding, then see how to tongue weight changes compared to the total weight of what I've added?
Yes, that's it.
The estimate of weight added can be rough - you only want to be adding moderately to tongue weight as you add load... just not reducing tongue weight or adding most of the load to the tongue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #43

Trailer: Still Deciding
I'm considering a 21C which will be pulled with my 1st gen Tundra TRD 4X4, 7100 lb tow rating and 1330 lb CCC. The truck is kept mechanically and visually close to "showroom new"
My camping will be mostly off the grid on BLM, State & Federal parks.
I am going both airbags and a equalizer WDH set up. My thought is for hwy the airbags at 10lbs for cushion and some leveling and the WDH in place. Off road the WDH will come off and enough air in the bags to bring the trailer near level.
I can see off road with a WDH attached it could be possible to bend the WDH bars or damage the trailers frame when going through a draw with a incline going into the draw or coming out of it.
Just my thought.
For the original poster.....check tire air pressure for the weights. I have Michelins and can call them with my axle weights and they will tell me what tire pressure to have.........very handy
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote