Brake Locks Up... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Brake Locks Up...

Let me set the stage: Our 2018 Escape 19’er has 16,000 miles. I just had the wheel bearings greased and brakes check. The shop indicated that the brakes auto-adjust (or some such), so I think they didn’t “touch” them.

We’re from dry Colorado. We were camped in south central Missouri along a backwater to a large lake. In the morning there was fog on the lake indicating a lot of moisture in the air. I’m not sure any of this is relevant to the brake locking up.

We had just departed our overnight campsite, and I was gently applying the brakes as we slowly came to a stop on a short down grade and one of the 4 wheel brakes locked up. The tire wouldn’t spin. Since we were in the middle of the intersection, I powered the trailer with the seized brake to the side of the road.

I, initially thought the break-away brake controller might have failed. And was checking that when a gentleman who we met at the campground stopped to help. I told him we had a locked up brake, he asked if we have drum brakes, and said... “just back up a little”. That’s all it took to un-seize the brake. And everything has worked fine since in over 1,500 miles.

So... I guess the moral is... If a brake seizes up, back up to release the brake shoe.

I’m very interested in any insight or experience you might have along these lines.

Thank you, in advance for your thoughts.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Let me set the stage: Our 2018 Escape 19’er has 16,000 miles. I just had the wheel bearings greased and brakes check. The shop indicated that the brakes auto-adjust (or some such), so I think they didn’t “touch” them.

We’re from dry Colorado. We were camped in south central Missouri along a backwater to a large lake. In the morning there was fog on the lake indicating a lot of moisture in the air. I’m not sure any of this is relevant to the brake locking up.

We had just departed our overnight campsite, and I was gently applying the brakes as we slowly came to a stop on a short down grade and one of the 4 wheel brakes locked up. The tire wouldn’t spin. Since we were in the middle of the intersection, I powered the trailer with the seized brake to the side of the road.

I, initially thought the break-away brake controller might have failed. And was checking that when a gentleman who we met at the campground stopped to help. I told him we had a locked up brake, he asked if we have drum brakes, and said... “just back up a little”. That’s all it took to un-seize the brake. And everything has worked fine since in over 1,500 miles.

So... I guess the moral is... If a brake seizes up, back up to release the brake shoe.

I’m very interested in any insight or experience you might have along these lines.

First off - the brakes Escape installs are not self-adjusting.

Second - It sounds like your brakes need adjusting. The manual that came with your trailer says to adjust your brakes "after the first 500 kms of operation and every 5,000 kms thereafter." (PAGE 24)

https://escapetrailer.com/wp-content...ersManual1.pdf

I've been there too. I noticed one tire was wearing more than the rest on my trailer and sure nuff, one wheel was doing more of the braking. A little time with a brake tool and all was well.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander

Quote:

Drum brakes can get sticky. I would have thought at a minimum that your service provider would have put a shot of lubricant on the pivot surfaces in the brake assembly. They can get rusty or a little corroded from moisture and road dirt and brake dust. Both our 19 and 21 would hang up once in a while. I spray them each spring with brake lubricant ( sounds counter intuitive I know) and it’s clear that the lube isn’t used on the shoes or the drums. Just my opinion and practice
Iowa Dave
Old 06-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I just had the wheel bearings greased and brakes check. The shop indicated that the brakes auto-adjust (or some such), so I think they didn’t “touch” them.
Even self-adjusting brakes need an initial rough adjustment after removing and replacing the drum (which is required to inspect the bearings or to fully inspect the brakes).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:13 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
First off - the brakes Escape installs are not self-adjusting.
Perhaps the brakes on the 19 are not self-adjusting, but the brakes on both our first axles and our replacement axles are self-adjusting. Once the Dexter warranty runs out they will be going in to our axle guy and have the self-adjusters removed and manual adjusters installed. He did this to our Lance axles and says he can do this to our Escape axles too.

Enjoy,

Perry