Brake problem. Grounding issue? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron what is a copper buss wire ? Pat
This is what Ron did for all the grounds on his previous 19.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post232672
Old 10-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This is what Ron did for all the grounds on his previous 19.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post232672
Dave remember the picture post before ,but still in the dark . I see looks like a battery post ? How is it on the frame ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
I think I found the source of my problem. Inside I find all the pins have corrosion!

I'd still like to know how the trailer brakes are grounded since I didn't see any grounding on my brakes. However, the brakes do seem to be getting power, so there must be a ground somewhere.
Good trouble shooting. That was one butt ugly mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I assume you're not doing this in your driveway Ron.
Unless you've got a heated tall warehouse that I can use, yes. Lucky I'm doing this before Thanksgiving dinner this weekend. I can never refuse a second helping. I can just lie on my back and slide under the water tank to get to the center area, after a huge dinner, maybe not.

Quote:
Dave remember the picture post before ,but still in the dark . I see looks like a battery post ? How is it on the frame ? Pat
Pat, I drilled and tapped a hole and inserted a s/s bolt to act as a mounting stud. All the grounds lugs are on it. It was then coated with liquid electrical tape. The buss wire just picks up the various ground wires and takes them to a common point, a good solid ground.

To the upper left of the lug you can see a hole with a bit of rust. That's one of the original ground points. Metal screws into the frame cut into raw steel that will inevitably rust.

Yes Jim, I think that the spray foam would go a long way towards keeping the grounds in good condition.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PA100005_resize.jpg   IMGP0256_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Good trouble shooting. That was one butt ugly mess.

Unless you've got a heated tall warehouse that I can use, yes. Lucky I'm doing this before Thanksgiving dinner this weekend. I can never refuse a second helping. I can just lie on my back and slide under the water tank to get to the center area, after a huge dinner, maybe not.

Pat, I drilled and tapped a hole and inserted a s/s bolt to act as a mounting stud. All the grounds lugs are on it. It was then coated with liquid electrical tape. The buss wire just picks up the various ground wires and takes them to a common point, a good solid ground.

To the upper left of the lug you can see a hole with a bit of rust. That's one of the original ground points. Metal screws into the frame cut into raw steel that will inevitably rust.

Yes Jim, I think that the spray foam would go a long way towards keeping the grounds in good condition.

Ron
Ron I also did see the rust spot above . Ok I think I get it but is it ok to drill in the frame ? Remember Tom didn’t want me to do that for the dump valves . But because I need to ground things it has to go into frame ? Pat
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As so many of these answers go, it depends.

It depends on where on the frame and the size of the hole. Location plays a large factor in whether it creates a structural problem. For example, a vertical hole, through the top and bottom of the rectangular tube in a high stress location, think near where the tongue meets the body, is not the best idea. Misc. small holes in the side of the tube are unlikely to create a problem.

The transverse pieces of the frame can pretty much be drilled any which way.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
\ The ground wire exiting and attached to the bottom of the frame with a tiny sheet metal screw.
Thanks much Ron in BC for finding the ground on your trailer. I assume mine has one too, but I have yet to find it.

Today I cut off the two corroded connectors on my F-150 (see my previous post) and directly connected each wire. The trailer definitely has stronger brakes now. I still can't get it to lock up (as described in the F-150 owner's manual), but I can set the integrated brake controller so it is between the trailer pushing and pulling on the truck when braking. I'm happy.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and especially Ron in BC,
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:43 AM   #27

Quote:
As so many of these answers go, it depends.

It depends on where on the frame and the size of the hole. Location plays a large factor in whether it creates a structural problem. For example, a vertical hole, through the top and bottom of the rectangular tube in a high stress location, think near where the tongue meets the body, is not the best idea. Misc. small holes in the side of the tube are unlikely to create a problem.

The transverse pieces of the frame can pretty much be drilled any which way.

Ron
Thanks yet again for the knowledge ! Pat
Old 10-11-2019, 01:03 AM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... But because I need to ground things it has to go into frame?
There are two valid connections to the frame: one for the AC protective ground, and a single connection of the negative side of the DC system. There is no need for any other frame connections. The frame can be used as a negative conductor, and this is done in the automotive world all the time, but unless the connections are done well it causes more problems than saving a bit of wire is worth. Making good frame connections is a valid way to establish a negative circuit connection, but a self-tapping screw into a hole in the frame through a eye terminal on a wire is not a "good connection".

I don't recall ever seeing an automotive-grade frame electrical connection on a trailer, of any kind or brand, but there might be lots of them that I just haven't seen.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote