Breakaway problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Breakaway problem

Forum,

My breakaway switch is very "sticky". The force needed to pull the pin is very high. Do I replace the switch or do you recomend lubricating it, and if so, with what?

Thanks
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
By design

I believe they are made that way, to insure an inadvertent actuation does not occur. They are needed when a catastrophic event occurs, and not made or intended to be "hair trigger" sensitive.

Replace if you want, but don't lubricate.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
MVA

I appreciate that, but the force needed to pull the pin is high enough that the loop on the pin could break. The force is much higher than a new switch. Probably will replace it for $10.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Would it be possible to put a sturdier loop?
Old 06-24-2021, 11:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Mine was the same. I lubed and cleaned it with DeoxIT electrical contact cleaner to get it back to normal. I also spray a little on the 7 pin connector prior to a trip.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
Forum,

My breakaway switch is very "sticky". The force needed to pull the pin is very high. Do I replace the switch or do you recomend lubricating it, and if so, with what?

Thanks
The breakaway switch will have the entire weight of the trailer pulling on it if it needs to be automatically activated. Unless you are the Incredible Hulk, if you can pull it out by hand, it is not too "sticky".
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The breakaway switch will have the entire weight of the trailer pulling on it if it needs to be automatically activated. Unless you are the Incredible Hulk, if you can pull it out by hand, it is not too "sticky".
I agree, it needs to be hard to pull out. That's the trailer's job, not your arms and hands.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
I appreciate that, but the force needed to pull the pin is high enough that the loop on the pin could break. The force is much higher than a new switch. Probably will replace it for $10.
The loop is supposed to pull out before the pin is pulled from the switch. The loop is there to prevent accidental activation of the breakaway switch.

The switch is activated if the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle to keep it from rolling down the highway without you.

As I said above if the breakaway switch is needed it will have the entire weight of the trailer pulling on it.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
The only possible weak link in the chain is the the wire that connects it to the truck. I would assume it has been designed/spec'd with sufficient safety factor in mind...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

One more comment for those who think it should be easy to pull out.

The last thing you want is the breakaway switch accidentally activating.

You don't want it so easy to pull out if the cable snags on something like could happen when going around a curve that it pulls out and locks up the brakes at highway speeds.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #11

The pin should be hard to pull, I use a sharp and forceful tug to get it to pop free. But it should not be so hard to pull that the wire or ring might break. I clean and lube mine with DeoxIT electrical contact cleaner.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #12
MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Mine was the same. I lubed and cleaned it with DeoxIT electrical contact cleaner to get it back to normal. I also spray a little on the 7 pin connector prior to a trip.
Thanks for the tip. I will try it.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I will try it.
Your welcome!
Old 06-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I agree, it needs to be hard to pull out. That's the trailer's job, not your arms and hands.
Hi Donna...I respectfully disagree with the part about it's the trailers job to pull the pin. It is good practice to pull out the breakaway pin to test that the switch activates the brakes prior to a trip. I think this is an often overlooked item. I'm guilty too as I never tested the breakaway when I first started towing my trailer. But I have added this to my checklist and test it now. It's good to know that the switch works properly in the event of an emergency where your trailer departs the tow vehicle...yikes. The test only takes about a minute or less to do.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Donna...I respectfully disagree with the part about it's the trailers job to pull the pin. It is good practice to pull out the breakaway pin to test that the switch activates the brakes prior to a trip. I think this is an often overlooked item. I'm guilty too as I never tested the breakaway when I first started towing my trailer. But I have added this to my checklist and test it now. It's good to know that the switch works properly in the event of an emergency where your trailer departs the tow vehicle...yikes. The test only takes about a minute or less to do.
She was agreeing with my statement that if you are able to physically pull it out by hand, it isn't too 'sticky' and that it is the trailer that will pull it out if needed. I didn't take her statement as meaning you shouldn't be able to pull it out by hand.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I didn't say anything about not testing. Everyone has different capabilities. Some can bench press hundreds of pounds, others have a hard time lifting 25lbs of bagged potatoes. It's important that any newbies reading this thread understand it should be difficult rather than easy to pull the pin.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
A reminder here, be sure to attach the breakaway wire to the tow vehicle to withstand the effort to pull the pin. Cheap key ring carabiners will not do. I found some 1200Kg carabiners that I now use.

https://www.amazon.com/GEEZO-Aluminu.../dp/B08JJDV7M8
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Forum,

Thanks
I find that having some slack in the line and then a quick hard pull works best.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #19

Quote:
I didn't say anything about not testing. Everyone has different capabilities. Some can bench press hundreds of pounds, others have a hard time lifting 25lbs of bagged potatoes. It's important that any newbies reading this thread understand it should be difficult rather than easy to pull the pin.
Oops! Sorry about that. I thought you were saying that the trailer would be the only thing to ever pull the pin (in the event of the trailer coming off the ball).
Old 06-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Up against the wall!!!

Quote:
Oops! Sorry about that. I thought you were saying that the trailer would be the only thing to ever pull the pin (in the event of the trailer coming off the ball).
Hi: flynfrfun... Once I pinched the brake away wire in the rollers of our 5th. wh. slider hitch. Took a while and some serious revving to realize the rig wouldn't budge. What's that pin doing in the box of the truck? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote