Broken bolts - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyuill View Post
I wonder if my flange was installed upside down? One fix would be to add a piece of rectangular tube sitting on the flange with the bolts going all the way through. No welding required.
I doubt the flange was installed upside down. Even if the flange is flipped you still have the same problem just the bolts have less unsupported length. I agree that a rectangular tube between the box and the flange with graded thru bolts could work well.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2012 19
Frame upgrades were done. I sent Escape photos and will report back. Thanks all

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I repositioned the bolts on top of the nuts and you can see that the box was not on the frame. The bolts broke at the top of those nuts. I may call Escape and I am thinking about putting a wedge between the box and the frame. I agree the fiberglass held up well. Thank for the input.

Graham
🤔 Just a thought, make a few spacers from iron pipe that level the box. Add washers to top, the bigger the better. Now when you tighten bolts they’ll be in tension while taking most of the shear load off.
Attached Thumbnails
7350A496-6798-4077-9313-E4A40FD74E84.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #24

Chotch
That would certainly be an improvement. Thanks
Old 05-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
�� Just a thought, make a few spacers from iron pipe that level the box. Add washers to top, the bigger the better. Now when you tighten bolts they’ll be in tension while taking most of the shear load off.

(1)My 2015 is as others have mentioned: flange is at the top and supporting the box.
(2)I agree with Chotch's solution for your particular case ( unless you want to go with a welded replacement flange ).
I would go with larger (1/2") replacement bolts, and pipe sleeves since you're supporting the weight and lateral motion of the box.
Components from top to bottom:
Bolt head
Fender washer (large outside diameter)
F/G box bottom
Fender washer
Nut

Washer
pipe sleeve
Washer
trailer Flange
Washer (option)
Lock washer
Nut - (I would use an elastic stop nut)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Another solution might be to use a piece of oak 2X4 planned or ripped to the correct thickness I’m sure it would last a long time before It rotted out. A permanent solution might be to make block from the plastic boards used as facier boards I think it is PVC. Our house has those and corner boards made from that stuff, very tough.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Use stainless bolts.
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Another solution might be to use a piece of oak 2X4 planned or ripped to the correct thickness I’m sure it would last a long time before It rotted out. A permanent solution might be to make block from the plastic boards used as facier boards I think it is PVC. Our house has those and corner boards made from that stuff, very tough.
This is actually the best suggestion so far. I wonder if those are really long threaded bolts or Ready Rod (threaded rod with nuts at both ends). Anyway, these "bolts" have been used as columns and the nuts on the threads above the the mount flange are used to level the box. Bolts are not designed to be columns. The way this installation works puts the bolts in bending every time the trailer moves (forward, back, or sideways. If you install new ones again the same way the constant bending will cause a fatigue failure right at the nuts again where the bending is highest. Putting a block in as AKCamper has suggested will stop the bending and the bolts will be loaded in shear and tension as bolts are supposed to be used. The holes through the block should be a tight fit the keep the joint loaded in shear. On new 19's the frame is flat in this area which is how the flange at the top is right against the box and loaded in shear so it is a different (and structurally better) installation.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #29

Thanks all. I like the oak block idea and also I am considering a 3” x 1” section of rectangular tubing. I have a call in to Escape and will report back on their suggestions.
Graham
Old 05-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jim the recall did not apply to 21's.
Quote:
Frame upgrades were done.
My bad. I somehow thought that Graham (gyuill) had a 21. I see now that it is a 19.

Please include some pics of your solution. This may help many others that have an earlier trailer with the front box. Some may want to do the mod proactively to prevent any future issues.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #31

Here is the response from Escape

“I have just received your voice mail, and the best solution is to simply change out the bolts with new bolts. There is no other solution that I would have for you.”

I had expected a little more from Escape and will look for some rectangular tubing.

Hello Graham,

I have just received your voice mail, and the best solution is to simply change out the bolts with new bolts. There is no other solution that I would have for you.“

I will look for some rectangular tubing snd will post photos of the repair.

Thanks everyone

Graham
Old 05-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Thanks all. I like the oak block idea and also I am considering a 3” x 1” section of rectangular tubing. I have a call in to Escape and will report back on their suggestions.
Graham
The rectangular tubing, and I assume you mean steel, is a good idea and quite simple. I may be easier to source 3" x 1" C channel than tubing and will work the same way, and you could bolt the channel to the box at the top, and to the angle at the bottom using shorted bolts. Most places you buy the tubing, or channel will cut it to the length you need.

Another solution, and how it should have been done in the first place, is take it to a welding shop. Have them remove the existing angle from the frame and put a new agle up against the box for the bolts to go through. The vertical flange of the angle will need to be long enough to weld to the frame. Then you can use much shorter bolts , just long enough to go through the box and the flange of the angle. This is similar to how the box is installed on new 19's.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #33

Done

I used a 12 inch length of 3 inch “c” channel. The legs on the channel are 1.5 inches. 1 inch would have been too narrow to use the existing holes in the bottom angle iron support bracket (with the c channel against the frame/ angle iron).
Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

Graham
Opelika Al
Attached Thumbnails
51C92ECC-DB16-4B0C-BBD6-BD28CABBD536.jpeg  
Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #34

Quote:
I used a 12 inch length of 3 inch “c” channel. The legs on the channel are 1.5 inches. 1 inch would have been too narrow to use the existing holes in the bottom angle iron support bracket (with the c channel against the frame/ angle iron).

Graham
Opelika Al
Much better
Old 05-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Graham
Opelika Al

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

Graham
Opelika Al
Nice! Don’t think you’ll have to revisit this problem. Think I would have used 4 shorter bolts instead of the 2 long ones. C channel to frame then box to C channel.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #37

Chotch. 4 shorter bolts would be easier and not require as exact placement of holes. But the inside surface of the leg is wedged shaped, not flat like angle iron. I am not sure if all c channel is made this way.

Graham
Opelika Al
Old 05-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
4 shorter bolts would be easier and not require as exact placement of holes. But the inside surface of the leg is wedged shaped, not flat like angle iron. I am not sure if all c channel is made this way.
Good point. Rolled C-channel made from a solid bar typically has this issue, but C (or U) channel bent from a flat plate does not. There's even channel which is rolled like the usual stuff with non-parallel flanges (called UPN sections) but has parallel flanges (called UPE sections). Angle iron comes both ways as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I'm gonna check our storage box. We have had two bolt failures on the scissor jacks. Replaced with stainless.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I'm gonna check our storage box. We have had two bolt failures on the scissor jacks. Replaced with stainless.
Stainless steel is typically used when rust-free application is desired, but stainless steel hardware does not have the tensile strength of carbon steel. Stainless steel hardware purchased from Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menard’s, or the local hardware store falls into this category. Grade 8 stainless steel can be obtained from companies such as American Racing Products but it is more expensive than that which is obtained from the previously mentioned retailers.