Bug screens?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Plan to give them a crap review online tomorrow.

That will complement all the five-star reviews and happy customers in the film, television and photography industries.
Can also advise to not rip the tape off quickly. Pull it slowly or you can damage the surface.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
2 DIY bug screens for $3 Part 1

I decided to DIY for the bug screens on the water heater vents and the fridge vents after reading all the problems with wasps building nests inside those areas. I've never had problems in the past 3 summers I've owned my 17B but I'm traveling to the Midwest this summer and want to eliminate any obstacles I can.
I spent less than $3 on galvanized metal screen - I bought a foot at the local hardware store. I had some galvanized wire already but used less than a yard of it, more like 2'. The tools I used were a scissors, a needle nose pliers, a duck nose pliers (mine is from stained glass projects), regular pliers and small wire cutter.

I installed the customized screens but cutting strips of wire and wrapping them around logical locations.

I like that the covers went in smoothly without any bulky wires in the way. I also like that nothing was sticking out on the outside of the trailer for someone to "accidentally" bump off or take off.

There aren't any gaps to let big bugs in but I think small spiders or tiny gnats can still make it through that screen as they come through that same screen in my house during the summer. But wasps will go somewhere else. I like that it took me less than 2 hours total to customize these screens and I only spent less than $3.
Attached Thumbnails
1ToolsNeeded.jpg   2RemovecoverWater.jpg   3WaterHeater.jpg   4InsideWaterHeater.jpg   5OutsideWaterheater.jpg  

6NothingstickoutWAter.jpg   7Moldedwiresidesfridge.jpg   8FridgeFAstenwire.jpg  
Old 04-24-2021, 11:30 PM   #23

Talking 2 DIY bug screens for $3 Part

Here are the rest of the photos of my DIY bug screens.
I said that there are 2 bug screens but I meant it was for 2 covers. The water heater vent covering has 2 separate covers for it if you purchase a kit from Camco or other place, so really its 3 bug screens.

Again, I am happy it was super easy to make and didn't cost me the $25-$45 for the screens per listings on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
9FridgeCornerwier.jpg   10FridgeComplete.jpg   11OverlapCoverFridge1.jpg   12OverlapCoverFridge2.jpg   13NothingShowingfridge.jpg  

14Snugwirefridge.jpg  
Old 04-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My 2015 5.0TA has A Dometic RMD8555, and ETI (at that time) used a Norcold outside vent, specifically the 620505 PW. My first attempt to prevent bug invasions was to use a layer of fiberglass peeled from an air conditioning filter, strategically zip tied to the inside of the louvered cover. That lasted for quite some time, but it got rather dirty. A couple of years ago, I replaced the fiberglass with aluminum window screen, cutting and shaping to avoid the two fastening clips and again used zip ties to attach it, but also strips of duct tape to seal it around the edges, to eliminate any possible entry points. I really wasn’t happy with either method I used, even though they both seemed to work. I then saw Jim’s (CPAHarley) post, and he confirmed in a PM that the refrigerator bug screens he had posted required trimming to fit before zip tying them in place. So I went onto Amazon to order them snd chanced upon what is shown in the photos below. It fits the opening perfectly, installs BEHIND the cover, and is held in place by the louvered cover. No zip ties and easily removed for brushing off/cleaning. It was $25.17, yes more than a homemade screen, but no cutting, no fitting, no zip tying. Just one heck of a lot less effort and superior bug exclusion. I highly recommend it.
Edit: Sorry they are sideways.......
Attached Thumbnails
2BCF4E74-D1DE-4857-BC41-0D6ABF8CC44Ca.jpg   434CAD0B-E602-47D2-B3C9-80EE4E775A2Ca.jpg  
Old 04-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I added a bug screen today to my 21C's battery vent cover, just in time to see a wasp land next to it!
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape E21C
also, some types of wasps are lured by the smell of propane. It's a inexpensive precautionary mod.
gshadel795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Gaffer tape

The first roll of GT I had 3 yrs ago was great..used it to keep the outside shower door closed while trailereing, after hearing several folks talk about the door popping open when a 18 wheeler passed, and they subsiquently "ran over" their shower hose! Worked great for MNTHS. This ;last roll(different brand) was scrap...
was used under the cpver 4 months to hold temporary covers in place and never exposed to sun or ice..dried terribly and was a bear to remove. I am trying to find out what brand we had 3 yrsago!!

The covers nd screens didn't get tight enuf w the supplied springs, so I substituted twisted copper wire..worked well and easy to install.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You need to choose the right tool for the job. Gaffer tape is used in film industry to temporarily hold items in place.
One doesn't use a butter knife as a scalpel.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
The first roll of GT I had 3 yrs ago was great..used it to keep the outside shower door closed while trailereing, after hearing several folks talk about the door popping open when a 18 wheeler passed, and they subsiquently "ran over" their shower hose!
While I haven’t kept up with all of the “improvements” ETI has made in trailer components, I’m guessing (??) from this comment they are now using a different outdoor shower assembly. My outdoor shower’s door has never popped open and the hose does not fit inside the compartment. It is attached via a QD fitting. There is no way you could run over it unless you forgot to remove it. When did ETI make this change?
Old 04-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #30

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You need to choose the right tool for the job. Gaffer tape is used in film industry to temporarily hold items in place.
One doesn't use a butter knife as a scalpel.
Like I said..the first brand of GT I used was flexible for months on the OUTSIDE of our Casita..this new brand is sCrap
I am just reporting on how GOOD was the first brand, which of course we used up in 1 year for things.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #31

NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
While I haven’t kept up with all of the “improvements” ETI has made in trailer components, I’m guessing (??) from this comment they are now using a different outdoor shower assembly. My outdoor shower’s door has never popped open and the hose does not fit inside the compartment. It is attached via a QD fitting. There is no way you could run over it unless you forgot to remove it. When did ETI make this change?
I was referring to the shower on my old CASITA 17..their door pops open when a big truck is passed sometimes..and the ATTACHED hose flops out and allows the shower head(attached) to slip under the driver-side tire at speed..ergo the gaffer tape as "insurance". The E21-C we have now, has the std detached hose, wh is what we like.
If we have any problems with the installed outside screens, I will switch to screens cut from metallic screen material and mounted inside. We'll see.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Like I said..the first brand of GT I used was flexible for months on the OUTSIDE of our Casita..this new brand is sCrap
I am just reporting on how GOOD was the first brand, which of course we used up in 1 year for things.
You need to contact the manufacturer, they may have made changes to their product.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 21’ Escape
Quote:
Ordered and received a set of screens for the vents on the frig in my 2019 21C..they came today but with no instructions..they are a set of three screens and not a clue..do I stick them on the inside of the vent or try to jury rig some claptrap to the outside?? I am also looking on youtube. thanks
If it is of any help, we created a "how to" video on installing bug screens last month that we loaded onto YouTube. We showed how we installed the refrigerator vent with zip ties and then we used a couple methods to install the other screens. The description on the video also has links to the screens on Amazon if anyone needs to actually purchase some.https://youtu.be/vBCQrAFFCi8
Adventures in Nomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That will complement all the five-star reviews and happy customers in the film, television and photography industries.
Can also advise to not rip the tape off quickly. Pull it slowly or you can damage the surface.
As a musician I have used gaffers tape for years. It is meant for temporary applications and is designed not to leave residue on cables. I use it to secure microphones on instruments also. It was never designed for semi permanent applications. It will decompose quickly exposed to the elements.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #35

That was a very helpful video. Even if I made my own screens. ;-)