Bug screens?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Bug screens??

Ordered and received a set of screens for the vents on the frig in my 2019 21C..they came today but with no instructions..they are a set of three screens and not a clue..do I stick them on the inside of the vent or try to jury rig some claptrap to the outside?? I am also looking on youtube. thanks
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
If they are the long - thin screens I purchased from Amazon, then I used cable ties to hold the screens to the frig vent on the outside. I also purchased a set of screens for the HW heater and the furnace vent. For the HW heater and furnace vents, I used thin wire to secure the screens.
MVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
If they are the long - thin screens I purchased from Amazon, then I used cable ties to hold the screens to the frig vent on the outside. I also purchased a set of screens for the HW heater and the furnace vent. For the HW heater and furnace vents, I used thin wire to secure the screens.
The screens for the furnace, and water heater vent come with springs designed to attach them & a tool to use to put them in place.

The refrigerator screens are usually "stuffed" into the front of the vents and held in place with small plastic cable ties.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Question Why bug screens?

Why are you putting screens on your fridge and hot water heater vents? I have not had bugs come inside that way in 3 years of camping. Maybe I just haven't gone where they are bad. But I am going to MN and northern WI this summer.

Do you recommend getting some screens? CAn I just get screen from the hardware store and DIY?
Thanks so much.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirCedar View Post
Why are you putting screens on your fridge and hot water heater vents? I have not had bugs come inside that way in 3 years of camping. Maybe I just haven't gone where they are bad. But I am going to MN and northern WI this summer.

Do you recommend getting some screens? CAn I just get screen from the hardware store and DIY?
Thanks so much.
We are in NM and unfortunately paper wasps built a nest in our air conditioner "squirrel cage" fan. The furnace vent especially was concerning to me since the furnace intake is just an open vent to the backside of the cabinet. Not good if the wasps had built a nest there. Just preventive for us. I would recommend the ones that Vermilye posted. Fit tightly.
MVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #6

MVA,
Thanks I think I'll look into this.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Ordered and received a set of screens for the vents on the frig in my 2019 21C..they came today but with no instructions..they are a set of three screens and not a clue..do I stick them on the inside of the vent or try to jury rig some claptrap to the outside?? I am also looking on youtube. thanks
If they are the camco screens off of Amazon like the ones I got then they should come with a small pack attachment pins with springs, they're a bit tricky to get on but work well. I noticed after attaching all my screens that I still did not have full coverage on all the openings for the furnace so I'll Jimmy rig something this year. Don't want to end up with a nest of "murder hornets" in my trailer!!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
If they are the camco screens off of Amazon like the ones I got then they should come with a small pack attachment pins with springs, they're a bit tricky to get on but work well. I noticed after attaching all my screens that I still did not have full coverage on all the openings for the furnace so I'll Jimmy rig something this year. Don't want to end up with a nest of "murder hornets" in my trailer!!!
The screens do not rust, but the springs do......
Old 04-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
ok another buy on Amazon- seems when i read posts i seem to buy something new ....now bug screens! not much of an issue here but next year i plan on much more travel
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #10

I noticed some screens at the Ace hardware store in Delta, CO the other day. I am going to measure my vents and see if any of those will work. I was wondering about just buying metal screening by the foot and putting it on the inside of the vents with zip ties. Anyone else done that?
Old 04-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirCedar View Post

Thanks so much.
As already mentioned they keep wasps from building nests in there.

The other thing is spiders are drawn to the smell of propane and their webs can clog the propane venturi tubes.

This Google search (spiders in propane burner tube) brings up mostly articles about them in propane BBQ grills but the same thing applies to your trailer's propane appliances.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Even with the 'store-boughten' screens, the coverage wasn't complete on the fridge vents...so I bought some stainless steel screening on Amazon and cut pieces to fill in the gaps and cable-tied them in place. Cheap insurance!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #13

I found the Camco screens provide full coverage on the refer vents and have installed them on my Escapes https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flying-...9037480&sr=8-9
Attached Thumbnails
71TLRCwlt5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
Old 04-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
In addition to all the places people installed bug screens, I installed a screen over the battery vent. I found that the attachment wires that come with the screens are not that secure, and impossible to install on some of the plastic vent caps. I used stainless steel thin wire wrapped around the vent attachment screws (you have to loosen the screws, wrap the thin wire around the shanks, then tighten the screws) then fed through the screens and twisted to make a tight fit.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #15

All screens came today, but...help!!

Finally received all my bug screens today..they seem like they will to be easy to install, like they were on our old Casita...BUT..the daggone white gaffer ["Gaffer's Choice Pro-Series" ] tape I used to stick some plastic sheeting over vents for this past winter has left a residue, even tho it was covered by the Escape Cover the whole 4 months.
Alcohol did not touch it,
Magic eraser + Dawn..did not get it off,
Goof-off did not get it off.
Grrrrrr
I am afraid to use acetone on my gelcoat.. What to do Disappointed in the gaffer tape!! Any ideas?
Old 04-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Dustin, ETI Customer Service told me I can use Acetone to remove tape residue when I asked him.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:22 PM   #17

Acetone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
Dustin, ETI Customer Service told me I can use Acetone to remove tape residue when I asked him.
I remembered a compound that I used on my fiberglass boats yrs ago [and have used on my plastic auto bumper fascia for 'bug smears' ] in the past.....WD-40

Tried some on the gunky residue w a soft cloth and a bit of elbow grease..voila', it worked...and no scratches. I guess I'll put on the screens tomorrow, as I now have wasted a whole freakin afternoon. Dang.

Lesson..do NOT frikkin buy "Gaffer's Choice Pro-Series" tape ever again. Plan to give them a crap review online tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I used the same fine mesh stainless screening I used to fill in where the Camco screens left gaps, to add to the wider factory screen on the water heater door - see pix.
Attached Thumbnails
26D6A8F4-C88F-4842-83EE-6B9EE7ED9CFE.jpg   3BEE9299-0C22-43B3-9BCC-91E089E21CD9.jpg  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I used the same fine mesh stainless screening I used to fill in where the Camco screens left gaps, to add to the wider factory screen on the water heater door - see pix.
I did the same, just make sure you use metal and not plastic screening near the water heater......
Old 04-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post

...Lesson..do NOT frikkin buy "Gaffer's Choice Pro-Series" tape ever again. Plan to give them a crap review online tomorrow.
Gaffer's tape is fine for a couple of weeks, however, as you discovered, after a couple of months, it will leave residue the same as duct tape.