Bungee Cord Refrigerator while Traveling? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have the two-door fridge in my 21. I have had the latch on the freezer compartment jam shut a couple of times so I don't use it anymore. I screwed footman loops to the wood on either side of the freezer door and secure it with a small bungee and a sponge (to keep from marring the door) when I'm towing. On my recent trip to the Midwest I forgot to do this and the freezer spat out a bag of frozen vegetables onto the floor, which I didn't notice until the bag had thawed. Arrgh.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
the freezer spat out a bag of frozen vegetables onto the floor, which I didn't notice until the bag had thawed. Arrgh.
At least it wasn't anything edible.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't the newer fridges have a lock feature that works? Tammy showed it to me on first 21 they built and took to the rally.
FWIW when David Murphy looked at my 'just delivered' 2021 5.0 built in August he commented that the refrigerator door catches were different from those on his 2019 model year (built December 2018) 5.0 and seemed 'more secure'.

We both have the Dometic ~6.5 cuft reefer standard to the 5.0 in our respective model years; I'm sorry but not being familiar with his I can't explain the difference, just that he made the comment. Nor do I know if David has ever had a problem with his.

Mine has two 'catch points' associated with each handle:
Attached Thumbnails
August 2021 6.5 cuft Dometic.jpg  
Old 09-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #24

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This works for me.
That's what we do too. Had our door broken off the hinges on a long washboard road. No worries any more.
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 17b
We had our fridge door come cemetery off the hinge when traveling on a bumpy road. My inlaws have been rv'ing for 30 years and they said that everyone uses some secondary form of fridge closure. I purchased heavy duty Velcro (2" width) and fasten the fridge with that. The Velcro mounted permanently around the outside of the fridge are then used to mount other kitchen and trailer stuff.
JamieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
With the dinette table in place, the lower door of my fridge will not open wide enough to remove the plastic shelves in it. The bin at the bottom of the fridge is in a "D" shape presumably in order for it to be turned and removed.

Last year I mistakenly took my poor trailer down a very rough road in Humboldt County, California. Afterward I went inside and saw that one of the flat plastic shelves had somehow been ejected from the fridge and was laying on the floor. I can't figure out how that happened. Even more amazing, the fridge wasn't damaged.

From now on I'm going to bungee both fridge doors when traveling.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
RM 8555 will fail you

I've had my RM 8555 come open a couple of times, and even had the whole door come off during travel.

I do a lot of forestry roads with my original 5.0, but this particular series of Dometic fridges just aren't very good; mechanically or operationally. They don't like rough roads, they don't like elevation, and they don't like warm temperatures.

I've re-inforced the hinges and corners, re-built the latch, improved on the original mounting by Escape, including the venting and insulation... but it still kinda sucks... or is not "cool", so to speak.

On the other hand, we also have a 98 Bigfoot, with an older Dometic, that works no matter what, without me having done anything.

If you've got an 8555 series, I'd go with some extra security on the door.
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As instructed in my Dometic 2510 fridge manual, I keep the door shelves light when travelling rough roads. I also bungee the door. I'm not sure the bungee is required on fridges that have a lock function.
I do thus too. Works well.
I didn't do anything untill mine came open and I enderd up mopping up a bit of soy sauce that was in one of those pour bottles that are often found on tables in Asian restaurants....