Burned propane smell & CO in Camper… - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
In the face of it all I have nothing to offer but blood, sweat, and rose petals in my eyes and out my ears.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Mine too, Myron. This will be the second set on ours. Wonder if the stainless braided would be any better. These aren’t subject to UV either as they’re under the tank cover.
One thing just occurred to me about the stainless braided covers...you would not be able to visually inspect the hose and see if any of the rubber started to crack.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In automotive hoses, a stainless steel overbraid is mostly for appearance, but also for abrasion and cut resistance. Aside from appearance, I don't see a point on an RV, and the failures we are seeing here are breakdown of the rubber with age, not cuts. Maybe it's shielding the rubber from ultraviolet light?

A propane hose could use stainless steel as the functional reinforcement (instead of the fibre they actually use), but even then they should have a protective rubber layer on top. Since it is only the rubber which we see degrading (no one has reported a hose blowing apart due to failure to withstand pressure, as far as I have seen), the reinforcement seems to be something that doesn't need fixing or upgrading.

I would have to see a good technical description of these "stainless steel" propane hoses to be convinced that the steel braid is doing anything other than hiding degraded rubber. I'm pretty confident that companies such as Mr.Heater will never provide that information... if they even know it (since they get all of this stuff from some cheap overseas supplier). When one of these starts leaking due to rubber degradation, it would be interesting to see it cut apart.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have stainless steel washer supply hoses in my house as I have seen first hand damage caused by a blown/burst rubber water hose and water running until turned off. I thought stainless reinforced propane supply hoses would be a step in the same direction?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have stainless steel washer supply hoses in my house as I have seen first hand damage caused by a blown/burst rubber water hose and water running until turned off. I thought stainless reinforced propane supply hoses would be a step in the same direction?
But we haven't seen any propane hoses burst... and the cheapest junk propane hose available is built to higher standards than a typical washer hose.

They're all rubber hoses, with the rubber ad the liquid-tight layer; the difference is in the reinforcement and the protective cover.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But we haven't seen any propane hoses burst... and the cheapest junk propane hose available is built to higher standards than a typical washer hose.

They're all rubber hoses, with the rubber ad the liquid-tight layer; the difference is in the reinforcement and the protective cover.

Here's a random stainless propane hose:
https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Sta.../dp/B07JGQDC5D
To the credit of this supplier, they only claim as a feature:
Quote:
Made of stainless braided to prevent animals bited your hose, such as dogs, cats, raccoons etc.
The steel is for external protection, not ability to handle propane pressure. I haven't noticed anyone reporting that animals are chewing their pigtails.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I don't think my propane hose has burst, but I do think now it's old enough and looks ugly enough to replace, as a preventative maintenance issue. Also think the steel overbraid looks prettier, but that's it.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
One thing just occurred to me about the stainless braided covers...you would not be able to visually inspect the hose and see if any of the rubber started to crack.
Very good point, David. I think I’ll just stay with the standard pigtails.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I have 2018 Escape 21, took delivery Jul 2018, great trailer, I love it. However, recently I also experienced water heater exhaust fumes inside the trailer. The 21 trailer has the water heater under the bed on drivers side. I can smell the fumes coming from under the bed, especially if I open the inside access doors on the side of the bed frame.

I think my water heater was probably installed improperly, inside seal apparently leaks on a windy day. The seal on the outside lip of the water heater assembly to the outside body of the trailer appears good. The water heater assembly seal to the inside body of the trailer I think may be leaking.

I've been looking at it close, and so far haven't found anything obviously wrong that would cause the fumes. Best I can tell, the water heater is still mounted properly, hasn't moved or shifted to break the inside seal. I did see vid on how to adjust the burner flame, so will look at that next time I get the chance. All in all, I think everything is working properly, except the water heater inside seal is letting in outside air on a windy day.

At the Quartzsite Rally 2020 I asked around and found another very new Escape 21 that had the same issue.

Appears would be big job to pull water heater assembly and reinstall, so probably will not attempt that. I did like the post about Plug Duct Seal Compound. I was racking my brain how to seal up the inside and what to use. "Plug Duct Seal Compound" seems perfect for this job. I plan apply it from the outside of the trailer inside the water heater assembly lip that is up against the inside wall of the trailer.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed. Cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:29 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sounds like a good solution. We have not experienced the problem but that does not mean it may not be there. Please post pictures of your of your fix here for others like myself may need it. including the source of the product, thanks.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #31

Thanks for reply.

Pics, don't know how to easily post pics. I believe you have to link to a website where the pics are stored. I don't want to subscribe to such a site, and don't want to use such a service. Last time I checked, the problem was I had to provide too much personal information, and all my pics were open to the public. If I'm not correct, and it's easy to post pics, please direct me to instructions?

Link to the product (Duct Seal Compound) was posted previously, and is in this thread above. As I recall, product is available at Home Depot for approx $3. Thanks
Old 03-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
Pics, don't know how to easily post pics. I believe you have to link to a website where the pics are stored. I don't want to subscribe to such a site, and don't want to use such a service. Last time I checked, the problem was I had to provide too much personal information, and all my pics were open to the public. If I'm not correct, and it's easy to post pics, please direct me to instructions?
It's really easy.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...otos-9057.html
Old 03-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #33

Quote:
I have 2018 Escape 21, took delivery Jul 2018, great trailer, I love it. However, recently I also experienced water heater exhaust fumes inside the trailer. The 21 trailer has the water heater under the bed on drivers side. I can smell the fumes coming from under the bed, especially if I open the inside access doors on the side of the bed frame.
When it comes to exhaust fumes and potential for CO poisoning I am reluctant to suggest any DIY solutions. I would have it checked out by a reputable RV shop after talking with ETI. I would also consider mounting a CO detector directly under the bed for the short term until you are confident the issue is resolved.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #34

Thanks for reply, this is what I got when I followed your instructions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1011.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	45446

thanks!

My trailer is stored, so next time I'm out there, I will take some pics. Actually, there is another thread that I'm supposed to post some pics to, so now maybe I can do that too?

and, thanks for your concern about CO poisoning. Actually, the smoke detector did go off one time. I'm not too concerned, since I infrequently use propane for the water heater, and always turn it off after using to conserve propane.

cheers
Old 03-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Thanks for reply, this is what I got when I followed your instructions.

Attachment 45446

thanks!
There you go! This forum is a better place when members can attach photos and properly quote each other.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Actually, there is another thread that I'm supposed to post some pics to, so now maybe I can do that too?

There is a limited amount of time to edit a post so you probably can't add them, but you could make a new post, with pix, in that thread.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #37

I finally took some pics to show where I think the water heater installation is leaking. the water heater is open to the outside, and should be sealed to keep any fumes from entering the inside of the trailer (in my case 2018 Escape 21 water heater is under the bed). note that the heater is installed into the trailer as a unit, and has an outside frame that seals to the external side of the trailer. the frame should also be sealed to the inside of the trailer where it fits over the water heater unit, see 1st pic with arrow pointing to where potential gap and leak may be, all the way around the inside edge of the frame.

I now have some Gardner Bender Duct Seal DS-110 I plan to roll into some spagetti pieces and cram into the space between the outside frame and water heater unit, see 1st pic arrow. I'm thinking this will solve the problem, maybe originally caused by faulty installation at factory? Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0605.jpg   IMG_0604.jpg  
Old 05-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I finally took some pics to show where I think the water heater installation is leaking. the water heater is open to the outside, and should be sealed to keep any fumes from entering the inside of the trailer (in my case 2018 Escape 21 water heater is under the bed). note that the heater is installed into the trailer as a unit, and has an outside frame that seals to the external side of the trailer. the frame should also be sealed to the inside of the trailer where it fits over the water heater unit, see 1st pic with arrow pointing to where potential gap and leak may be, all the way around the inside edge of the frame.

I now have some Gardner Bender Duct Seal DS-110 I plan to roll into some spagetti pieces and cram into the space between the outside frame and water heater unit, see 1st pic arrow. I'm thinking this will solve the problem, maybe originally caused by faulty installation at factory? Cheers
Thanks for pointing this out. I sealed all the other openings I found, but didn't see this one. I still have CO in the trailer when there is wind against the water heater...
Old 05-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Do any of those with the cracking hoses store the trailer under cover? I noticed most that posted about it, if not all, are from the SW.

I just replaced the originals on my brothers outdoor stored 2007 Jayco, the hoses themselves were still fine, the brass joints were leaking.
I spend the winters in Arizona, summers in upstate NY or traveling, and just replaced cracked propane hoses on my 2017 21.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:

Thanks for the pictures. I have a 2018 21 also, have never noticed the same issue but might try out the duct seal as a preventive measure. Something to add to my list after I get it out of storage.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote