Buying a Ford F-150 - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #201

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I use downloaded maps for when out of cell range and the GPS on my Samsung Note 8 works great. I remember back to the first smart phone with GPS, which was very sketchy showing precise location.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #202

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Unfortunately, as recently discussed, mobile phones have traditionally had only Assisted GPS, meaning that they depend on network servers to help them determine location from the signals which the phone receives from the GPS satellites; that makes them non-functional for location when off of the mobile network.

I didn't know about Assisted GPS, so I did an experiment. I have a cheap Samsung phone sold by TracFone, I forgot what it's called. It has GPS, and I have an app called My Location. I put the phone in "airplane mode", recorded my lat/long with My Location, then went for a walk. A ways down the road I stopped and checked My Location. I had to fiddle with it a bit, but eventually it showed me that my location had changed. It was still in airplane mode and not using the network. So if I had maps built into this phone I wouldn't need the cellular network to find my location with the phone. As it was, Google Maps was cached on the phone and My Location brought it up to show my new location.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #203

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Every year I always purchase the Rand McNally us/canadian road atlas "Large print" edition and carry it with us as well as using my Rand McNally road trip GPS for rv's which allows trip planning on your computer and then uploading it to your GPS. You type in your total length of trailer and tow and their directions eliminate issues with gas stations or stops that will not work with your length.For those who travel with pets, their POI include veterinarians.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #204

You can buy campground POIs in CoPilot's format from The Ultimate Campground Guide, and CoPilot is supposed to have the ability to import them, but I haven't been able to get this to work, so far. Copilot also has its own collection of POIs.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #205

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
You can buy campground POIs in CoPilot's format from The Ultimate Campground Guide, and CoPilot is supposed to have the ability to import them, but I haven't been able to get this to work, so far. Copilot also has its own collection of POIs.
I download the 39,000+ public campgrounds from the Ultimate Public Campground site into my Garmin GPS unit before setting out on a trip. Once they are downloaded, no internet or cell phone access is necessary for the GPS unit to lead me to my destination. Costs $5 for a years subscription with monthly updates.

https://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/index.php

Works well for our needs since we strongly favor public camping areas over private ones.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #206

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

I’ve tried to do this as well, but despite manipulating the db in a spreadsheet to get the format to match CoPilot’s requirements as closely as I could, I’ve not yet managed to get it to import. Would love to hear from anyone who has managed this. Might make a good separate thread.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #207

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
maps.me App works without a cellphone connection providing you have previously downloaded the latest maps. They do go down to quite a loe level pdf detail. And, as a bonus, its a free download.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #208

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I didn't know about Assisted GPS, so I did an experiment. I have a cheap Samsung phone sold by TracFone, I forgot what it's called. It has GPS, and I have an app called My Location. I put the phone in "airplane mode", recorded my lat/long with My Location, then went for a walk. A ways down the road I stopped and checked My Location. I had to fiddle with it a bit, but eventually it showed me that my location had changed. It was still in airplane mode and not using the network. So if I had maps built into this phone I wouldn't need the cellular network to find my location with the phone. As it was, Google Maps was cached on the phone and My Location brought it up to show my new location.
Good test I was planning to do the same thing with my phone the next time that I drive somewhere.

So this one has standalone GPS, but once you have been out of mobile network long enough to get out of the area covered by the cached map, you've got a location on a blank map. Fine for short outages... but how far ahead does the cached map data cover? A downloadable map (such as maps.me that Chris & Patricia mentioned) fixes that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
but how far ahead does the cached map data cover?
Not very. I'd need an app like CoPilot with its integral map on the phone to do mapping. In fact, I should buy a second CoPilot license for the phone.

If I were in a jam out in the boonies without cell service, I could use my ham radio to call in and give the lat/long info from the phone. This was why I wanted to make sure that the phone's GPS worked independently of a cell network. Of course, nowadays portable ham radios are starting to be equipped with GPS anyway, so pretty soon it might not matter. The one I use in my trailer (Icom 7100) will take GPS input, for instance.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #210

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
If I were in a jam out in the boonies without cell service, I could use my ham radio to call in and give the lat/long info from the phone.
Well, we always have Plan B with us.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-12-02 18.17.37.jpg  
Old 12-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #211

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
heh, I still have my 1965 F100, totally stripped base model truck with a 300CID I6 and 3-on-the-tree ... the seat belts have the old 'atomic era' style Sears Roebuck logo on them as I don't think the truck came with belts from the factory. the heater knob is a bowden cable directly connected to the heater valve under the hood... AC? whats that? roll down the windows and open the wind vents!

I really should sell it to someone who'd restore it and drive it, its been parked for years in my driveway neglected.

huge difference between that and my 2002 F250 XLT, hah. and the newest trucks are even more full of 'luxo' content and digital touch screen infotainment nonsense.
Brings back memories . Had a 1963 F100 with a 292 cu engine and 3 on the column. She started out Carribean Turquoise , went to Adult Ed and painted her Wimbledon White , (Ford White ) loved the wing winds which are on our 1992 F250 too. Rolling down the windows and your wind wings yup that was your Ac on the 1963 . The f250 has Ac and air bags which is a improvement ,but sure loved the 1963 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #212

Well, by "in a jam" I meant stuck / broke my leg / got chewed on by a bear, etc., and need to call for help. Not merely being lost. When traveling I really want to make sure that I can call for help and that people can know where I am.

I have one of those atlases as well; they're nice.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I’ve tried to do this as well, but despite manipulating the db in a spreadsheet to get the format to match CoPilot’s requirements as closely as I could, I’ve not yet managed to get it to import. Would love to hear from anyone who has managed this. Might make a good separate thread.

Good idea. I'll start one.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #214

Trailer: ?
Quote:
If I were in a jam out in the boonies without cell service, I could use my ham radio to call in and give the lat/long info from the phone. .
We got an earlier model of one of these years ago and still carry it with us just in case.

No matter where we may be, we can be in touch with help should the need arise.

Can send and receive a text message or in a true emergency, use the SOS feature.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #215

Quote:
Well, by "in a jam" I meant stuck / broke my leg / got chewed on by a bear, etc., and need to call for help. Not merely being lost. When traveling I really want to make sure that I can call for help and that people can know where I am.

I have one of those atlases as well; they're nice.

We have one of these as our ultimate get out of jail cards, particularly when far away from cellular coverage: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	35506

It works worldwide. Turn it on and search and rescue heads out. Of course, it’s illegal to do so without a bonafide emergency.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #216

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Rolling down the windows and your wind wings
Pat
OK, you got me, what are wind wings? The only thing that I can think of is those little vent windows of yesteryear.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #217

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
My first impression of the Ford GPS is that it's pretty good. Like being able to swipe sideways etc. to see what's just out of view on the current screen.

If they ever want money for updated maps it'll probably be no sale.

I still have my TomTom, the last 2008 version of MS's Streets and Trips on my laptop, which I really like. Even though it's outdated most streets in the big cities haven't changed location. And I have Navfree on my phone. I like it because I can download maps for different countries as needed.

All these GPS's, how did I ever find places in the old days.

Actually, on the water I used a sextant before Loran C, Sat Nav and GPS. Not too practical on land though.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We have one of these as our ultimate get out of jail cards, particularly when far away from cellular coverage: Attachment 35506

It works worldwide. Turn it on and search and rescue heads out. Of course, it’s illegal to do so without a bonafide emergency.
Interesting. Is it a one-time purchase or does it require a subscription fee?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #219

Buying a Ford F-150

Quote:
Interesting. Is it a one-time purchase or does it require a subscription fee?

No subscription, unlike the Spot and similar devices. The ACR is a true Personal Locator Beacon, operating via government owned and operated satellite network - the same network used by all boat and aircraft transponders (also unlike Spot, which is on a commercial satellite network).

It’s a one time investment, and costs more up front, but it is a Hail Mary device. There are other technical reasons why I strongly prefer a true PLB to a Spot-type device (of which there are many now on the market), but it all boils down to reliability to function in an emergency. If I only have one device for such in the wilds, it will be a PLB, not a Spot.

On the other hand Spot does stuff no PLB can, so if budget is no issue, get both as they each do different things well.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #220

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Well, we always have Plan B with us.
I don't compute, what is a map? Never use them any more!! Like what is a letter? Is there still such a thing called pony express?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote