Camp Chef Oven - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Camp Chef Oven

I am thinking of buying a camp chef oven/ stovetop...I have the quick connect on our trailer which we use for our Baby Q. ( could not get the pizza stone idea to work, it wouldn’t go above 250 degrees once I put the stone in...)
What I am wondering is....does the camp chef oven have the regulator installed, so it can only be used with the big tanks...we do have the proper hoses for that, as mainly they are used with the small disposable tank.
We carry another tank because of our fire pit...
Old 07-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
On my home grill, the pizza stones can take well over 30 minutes to heat up. I check the stone with an infrared thermometer as opposed to the lid thermometer. My Q takes a long time to heat up the grate, even without a stone in place.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We have a Camp Chef oven that we always take with us. Use a pizza stone at home, yet have not tried it on the road-but will while at home to check out. Made a couple of pizzas last trip out and would caution
to place on top rack as to not burn the bottom. The oven will heat up to 500 degrees yet can struggle after putting something in it- eapecially if there is a wind. We've pulled it inside a few times to negate that effect.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Not to be contrary, but my approach to pizza is to “go commercial.” There are so many pizza shops (maybe not after COVID-19), but I have always enjoyed trying the “local” spots. If I’m in the mood for pizza, I will ask the campground host or the locals for a recommendation. BTW, the Camp Chef oven doesn’t get the greatest reviews and it is somewhat bulky when it comes to storage. If I were making my own pizza, I think I would stick with the stone even if it took 30 minutes to get up to the proper temperature. YMMV!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Not to be contrary, but my approach to pizza is to “go commercial.” There are so many pizza shops (maybe not after COVID-19), but I have always enjoyed trying the “local” spots.
Agree- and especially love the wood fired pizzas. Great spot in Strawberry, AZ. The oven is a bit bulky- yet fits well in the back of our SUV, along with two inflatable kayaks and some other 'tings
Old 07-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I want to use it for oven capabilities, not for pizza!

I am going to buy a lasagna then for tomorrow and heat up the Q with the stone in it for a longer period before I decide final on the Camp Chef stove...

And I think if we get it we’ll just use it as it comes and hook it up to the 20 lb tank we use for the fire pit...
Old 07-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #7

Have used it for a pork loin and turned out great. For lasagna we do a Dutch oven inside using a cast iron diffuser to keep temp low.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I want to use it for oven capabilities, not for pizza!

I am going to buy a lasagna then for tomorrow and heat up the Q with the stone in it for a longer period before I decide final on the Camp Chef stove...

And I think if we get it we’ll just use it as it comes and hook it up to the 20 lb tank we use for the fire pit...
After using a Q for years (I have the original Q100, not the current Q1000) I have learned how to bake in it. We have made brownies, cookies, and corn bread in it. And we have baked ziti In it. We have a small (well used) baking pan that has a wire grid which provides an airspace underneath the throw-away aluminum pans. Unlike a stone, it heats up fast and works well. But we don’t bake things often and it works well when we do. But the frequency of our baking doesn’t justify a separate oven. Amazon sells a small baking pan similar to what we use.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
...does the camp chef oven have the regulator installed, so it can only be used with the big tanks...we do have the proper hoses for that, as mainly they are used with the small disposable tank.
The oven comes with a regulator, which is why it works with any size of tank; of course if you're not using one of the small cylinders that screws directly onto the hardware which comes with the oven, you need suitable hoses and adapters.

As with most portable propane appliances, the regulator that comes with the Camp Chef portable oven is screwed onto the oven, and is specific to Camp Chef. Unlike most, there is also an adapter available which can be used instead of the regulator, and the oven runs on the standard low pressure used by RVs, so you can run it from the Escape's low pressure propane port.
RV Hose to Disposable Adapter
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree with Carl. On our last marathon drive out to Chilliwack in 2019 we stopped in Wisconsin the first night and had the best gas station fuel stop pizza ever......it was the cheese of course and we still talk about it........ On edit found a picture.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0188.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Not sure on the performance of a Camp Chef oven, but having some way of baking is great. With our 19 I baked in our Dickinson BBQ outfitted with a stone a lot. Now with the oven in the 5.0TA, we just use that for when we wish to bake.

We very rarely go out to eat when camping. It is just nice to sit around the trailer while cooking great food, often with good scenery, saving some money, and not dealing with the rush around of going out to a restaurant, along with the often long wait times to get your food served. The main reason though is the fact it would often take one heck of a long time to make the trek to a restaurant due to being so far from one. We do eat out a bit, but mostly when out on a road trip near stores.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote