campfire in a can - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
campfire in a can

flames started shooting out where the hose meets the unit. I'm guessing we have a leak.... . Can i wrap something round the leak area? to seal it?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You need propane tape to seal the threads, I believe it is yellow. https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x...403D/202078116
Old 09-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
No you can't. You need to make the right deal at the connection. It's this at a flare connection, the type with a semi domed end. No sealant, either pipe tape or pipe dope, should be used on this connection either. A threaded pipe connection does use tape or dope.

Can you share a photo indicating exactly where it is leaking.

These are flared connections.

Attachment 50726
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
This is why I am not going to connect a propane device to a camper. It's just not worth it. Fire out of the fitting?

As I have said before I just carry a one gallon propane take for just such a situation.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
This is why I am not going to connect a propane device to a camper. It's just not worth it. Fire out of the fitting?

As I have said before I just carry a one gallon propane take for just such a situation.
That does not make any logical sense at all. The stove, furnace, and water heater all have connections and are as susceptible to fire as much as anything “connected to the trailer.” That is, assuming that I understand the point you are trying to make.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
flames started shooting out where the hose meets the unit. I'm guessing we have a leak.... . Can i wrap something round the leak area? to seal it?
A closeup photo of the area leaking would be helpful. And Campfire in a Can is a specific item made by a company out of business. Is it a real CIC or is it a Little Red Campfire, or some other brand?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Like Carl said, this does make no sense. The issue is not at all related to where it is fed from. I have 6 appliances that feed from my trailer propane, and have never had a safety issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
That does not make any logical sense at all. The stove, furnace, and water heater all have connections and are as susceptible to fire as much as anything “connected to the trailer.” That is, assuming that I understand the point you are trying to make.

The point I was trying to make is concerning the propane attachment for gas grills. Plus a separate tank gets the cooking and grease away from the trailer. Everything else is no problem. Permanent connections are no problem.

In fact I love the entire way the propane system works. We were out for 17 nights and only used 1 and 1/2 tanks. It's still on and we have been back for two nights.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No you can't. You need to make the right deal at the connection. It's this at a flare connection, the type with a semi domed end. No sealant, either pipe tape or pipe dope, should be used on this connection either. A threaded pipe connection does use tape or dope.

Can you share a photo indicating exactly where it is leaking.

These are flared connections.

Are there flair connections in the trailer? I have never used a flair fitting smaller than 1 and 1/2 inches. I am just wondering where that type of fitting would be used. Flexible copper and flair fittings work very well together, so I could see why that would use it.

Jim is correct, flair connections never receive dope or tape. Only threaded connections.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Are there flair connections in the trailer? I have never used a flair fitting smaller than 1 and 1/2 inches. I am just wondering where that type of fitting would be used. Flexible copper and flair fittings work very well together, so I could see why that would use it.
The regulator outlet is pipe threaded, but there may be an adapter to flare between that port and the hose. The connection of the hose from the regulator to the tubing under the trailer is a flare. All of the tee connections in the distribution system of copper tubing under the trailer are flares, as well. Appliances (refrigerator, water heater, furnace, stove) typically have flare inlet connections. All of this is likely 3/8", because that's the tubing size.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #11

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Are there flair [sic] connections in the trailer? I have never used a flair [sic] fitting smaller than 1 and 1/2 inches.
The low-pressure LPG supply connection at the stove/cooktop, refrigerator, water heater, and furnace are all flared fittings. I know the cooktop supply is nominal 3/8" tube, not sure about the rest but probably similar.

Most common in the built-in low-pressure gas-appliance industry because they're very secure and safe for copper-tubing-to-appliance connections. Nope, no 'dope', tape, or sealant of any kind used for these connections - they rely solely on the very robust-and-forever integrity of the metal-to-metal flare interface, for tubing down to very small nominal diameters.

Maybe (likely) in other places, too, as in any "Tee" or reducer fittings, etc. in the copper tubing low-pressure gas distribution system downstream of the main regulator at the supply tank (starting where the system is rigidly mounted to the trailer chassis).
Old 09-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #13

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is concerning the propane attachment for gas grills. Plus a separate tank gets the cooking and grease away from the trailer. Everything else is no problem. Permanent connections are no problem.

In fact I love the entire way the propane system works. We were out for 17 nights and only used 1 and 1/2 tanks. It's still on and we have been back for two nights.
Tim, I understand. But using a 10 or 15-foot hose also gets the cooking and grease away from the trailer. I have a total of 40-feet of propane hose and I can assure you o have never cooked close to the trailer nor have I gotten grease on it. So-called temporary connections are just as good as those that you consider permanent. If they weren’t as good, they would not be approved for use. And please note that I am not downplaying or criticizing your preferences; we all have our way of doing things.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Tim, I understand. But using a 10 or 15-foot hose also gets the cooking and grease away from the trailer. I have a total of 40-feet of propane hose and I can assure you o have never cooked close to the trailer nor have I gotten grease on it. So-called temporary connections are just as good as those that you consider permanent. If they weren’t as good, they would not be approved for use. And please note that I am not downplaying or criticizing your preferences; we all have our way of doing things.

No worries, I appreciate your opinions. I have been corrected several times so far and I appreciate the new information and respect the person taking the time to enlighten me. Really!

In fact I did put that quick connection on my rig too. And maybe some day I will trust it. I have several small propane tanks available so I use that.

I agree it is safe or they would not continue to install and sell it. But fire out of fittings is the stuff of nightmares. Did we ever find out where the fire was coming from?
Old 09-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 E19
If something is made by man, it can malfunction. A flared fitting that becomes a roadside flare? Yikes! But weird stuff happens.