Camping World Crap - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
In reality, is anything made today with the quality things were made years ago?
Yes. Lots of stuff is better than it was when I was a kid - particularly automobiles.

Lots more stuff is made very poorly, but then it is far less expensive than the same type of product was decades ago. I think most people are unwilling to pay for quality, especially in products which will be functionally obsolete or out of fashion before a high-quality item would be worn out. If you are willing to pay, you may not have much choice, since you are in a small market segment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
did you wash it like the OP mentioned?
Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Like Jim, I've never washed mine. Although at the Oregon Gathering the longest rug did soak up an entire dark beer, so outside it went, got hosed off, dried and reinstalled. No problemo.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
In reality, is anything made today with the quality things were made years ago?
Yep, my trailer is made just as good as the fiberglass ones of years past.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, my trailer is made just as good as the fiberglass ones of years past.
I would debate that. Are all the components such as the Dometic refrigerator or the furnace or the water heater and windows all the same quality products they were 30 years ago? If so, why the threads with everyone complaining about the 6.7 cu ft refrigerator. No offense intended to anyone, but too many Chinese made parts nowadays. And part of it can be blamed on consumers with the Walmart mentality....buy cheap. I personally would prefer to buy quality products, but sometimes do not have that choice.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thirty years ago there wasn't the internet...
Old 10-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Thirty years ago there wasn't the internet...
yah there was, but not really much use to anybody outside of computer science departments. Its a lot more fun now..... and chocked full of "information"

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
If it is any consolation, my Dad purchased a new motor home after he retired in 1976. He paid all of $10,000 for it, and I remember thinking "Boy that is a lot of money! -- hope he enjoys it". He had it for 20+ years, but about a year after he bought it he replaced the "piece of @#$%#@" Norcold refridgerator with a Dometic (or vice-versa, my memory fails me).

Like everyone here, I am hoping for a good fix on the refrigerators from Reace and Dometic. But fridge complaints aren't a new thing.

Also, when I was young, "cheap" stuff came from Japan. But by the time I bought my first new car, Japanese autos were leading the quality parade. There is some bad cheaply made stuff from China, but there is also high quality stuff being made in China as well. In full disclosure, I just ordered a new Mac Mini to use as a home server. It was shipped today from Shenzhen.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
What's a Mac mini?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #29

I'm not criticizing all Chinese made stuff but if you buy something and it breaks within the first two weeks or doesn't work properly there is a high probability it was made in China. Case in point. Gotta replace the wheel bearings on your trailer? Are you going to specify Chinese bearings or would you prefer a Timken that has been manufactured in North America, even though even Timken is now manufacturing some stuff in China. I buy Chinese made merchandise, but would buy American if it were possible. And yes, refrigerators have always had a tendency to be problematic, but the failure rate for common items such as capacitors, etc. made in China is higher than the failure rate before all this manufacturing relocated to China, IMHO.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm not criticizing all Chinese made stuff...
I understand your point, as a lot of crappy built stuff is made in China, BUT they do so because as consumers we demand having cheaper things to buy, and China is more than willing to do it for us. I also know of some machinery that is extremely well made, built in China, as this is what was asked for.

Remember when "Made in Japan" carried the same negative label?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

small Mac computer.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #32

Jim, I think I said the same thing in my earlier post. I do remember wham Made in Japan meant you were getting shoddy products. But in those days I think it was due to the emerging Japanese manufacturing economy that could not measure up. With China today I think it is driven by a general and widespread acceptance of lower quality as long as it is inexpensive. All I am saying is that those who are willing to pay for quality should be able to do so, but the producers of quality stuff stop producing because they can't compete with an overwhelming acceptance of low quality merchandise.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
What's a Mac mini?
It is a small macintosh computer, about 7" square and 2" high. Unlike all other mac computers you have to provide your own display, keyboard, and mouse. The good news is that it is relatively inexpensive (for a mac), starting at $499. The bad news is that it is still a bit more expensive than some alternatives, and you have to have all that other stuff.

On the other hand, If I am sitting at my desk, I use a keyboard that a rip-off of the old keyboards that used to come with IBM terminals, complete with the mechanical springs under the keys. It will break one of these days, and I won't be able to replace it, but it is my favorite thing for doing lots of keyboarding. It was made in Taiwan :-)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hey.. I WAS "MADE IN JAPAN." And, I'm stellar!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
You are stellar. I'm not sure I want to ask about the rest......

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Those dirty little rugs make good RAT fodder , and nesting material . And if you forget to pack the KD you can cut off a piece and make a soup base .
Old 10-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Obviously, some top notch, superior quality things have been made in Japan and exported to America! Great import; way, way better than a Toyota or a Lexus. :<)
Old 10-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #38

I think this is what my old boss referred to as "violent agreement"
Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think the point of the Mac Mini comment is that this Apple computer - a premium product in the opinion of buyers - is made in China. In fact, all Macs, iPhones, and other Apple products are made in China... by a Chinese company, not by Apple Computer at all. I agree with other comments that whatever quality you demand (and pay for) is available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the point of the Mac Mini comment is that this Apple computer - a premium product in the opinion of buyers - is made in China. In fact, all Macs, iPhones, and other Apple products are made in China... by a Chinese company, not by Apple Computer at all. I agree with other comments that whatever quality you demand (and pay for) is available.
I agree to a point. China will manufacture to specs. That's why some stuff is good, while some is, as the title of the thread mentions, crap. The quality is determined by who is providing the specifications. Apple demands quality and gets it. But many outsourcing manufacturers demand what has an "attractive" price so that it sells readily, while those who market a similar product of higher quality may lose out at the cash register. Problem is that the lower quality item is subject to malfunction. Let's say you buy a hydraulic bottle jack. There are two available. One for $16 at Walmart and one for $40 at Autozone. Many people would choose Wally's. Then they get a flat somewhere in a remote area and the bargain jack doesn't work. What kind of a bargain is it? In reality, I don't think it is China driving the quality. China is fully capable. They will have astronauts on the Moon within 10 years. I think it is big retailers like Walmart that drive quality down, and in putting local businesses out because they cannot compete, deprive us all of higher quality choices. However, some items must be higher quality. Consumers would not buy Apple products if they were poor quality. They would but a lower quality carpet on the other hand because after all, it's just something you walk on. But if nobody chooses to produce a higher quality carpet, you can demand and be willing to pay for it, but you are not going to get it. I think years ago the mindset of retailers was geared more to quality and profits rather than just profit.