Can you 4 season-fulltime in an Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Artic Fox 29-5T Fifthwheel
Can you 4 season-fulltime in an Escape?

Anyone fulltime in their Escape?
If so, what would you guess your highest and lowest outside temperatures were?
Any modifications made to do so?
Rosalyn
Rosalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not full time but camp in mine year round. Superbowl 2013 I was in W. Virginia camping where it got down to single digits, had no problem keeping warm with foam and thermal package. I recommend having electric available in case you run out of propane.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Personally it's too small for us to fulltime in, but I know of folks that get pretty close to it.

"Most" fulltimers try and avoid too hot and to cold, which is what we do. Go further south or north as required.

Other then the trailer options like Jim mentioned, we carry an electric blanket, small electric heater, and a dehumidifier. We do look for electric if expecting cold or hot.

Roughly over 90 and below mid 30's we look for electric, but your comfort levels will certainly vary from mine.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As Bob said, the advantage of a trailer is you can move to reasonable weather. I am at day 192 of a trip that had me spending the winter dry camping in Quartzsite, AZ. A few nights in the high 20's, many in the 30's, most 40°+. During December & January I was going through a 20 lb tank of propane every week & a half with the thermostat set at 58°F. No foam insulation on the bottom, but dual pane windows & the extra insulation package.

As to high temperatures, I tend to move to sites with electrical hookups so I can run the AC when the temperatures get over 95 - 100 degrees, but below that (at least in the dry southwest) the Maxxfan moves enough air to keep things comfortable. I suspect the more humid south would probably require the AC at even lower temperatures.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Artic Fox 29-5T Fifthwheel
Thank you all. I meet with Reace tomorrow to see the 19 and the 21. I will also discuss if the modifications I need for work can be done.
I was getting nervous when I read a post that discouraged buying an Escape for fulltiming. But I, like the majority of you, do not plan to remain in frigid or high temperatures. I will just move on.
I do not plan on the foam insulation on the underbelly as I want the ability to fix things as needed, without having to carve my way through foam.
I am feeling more and more confident with ETI's products. And now more confident I can do this.
Thank you all,
Rosalyn
Rosalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
So Jon, did you run into condensation issues this winter at all? If so, how did you handle them?
Daisy and I plan to full time once we pick up our 21 in August. I think that the space limitations are much over blown since we stay close together most all the time and with millions of acres outside there are plenty of places to go!
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

We had a little condensation a few times this winter between the bed and the walls, but we were in FL as opposed to AZ like Jon.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
So Jon, did you run into condensation issues this winter at all? If so, how did you handle them?
Daisy and I plan to full time once we pick up our 21 in August. I think that the space limitations are much over blown since we stay close together most all the time and with millions of acres outside there are plenty of places to go!
The desert is dry enough that condensation was generally not a problem. I did add a layer of Dry Mesh under my mattress to provide help with body radiated moisture. I also usually left the Maxxfan vent at least cracked to provide a bit of air flow. I do have that advantage that there is just one of me (probably an advantage for the rest of the world as well) and no pets, so there is less moisture producing bodies in my 17 than most.

I have noticed moisture on the window frames during very cold nights when camping in more humid parts of the country.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #9

What other challenges have folks run into full timing in their Escape?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
What other challenges have folks run into full timing in their Escape?
The wine cellar is too small!

While we don't ever intend to full time, we do plan to do lots of multi-month trips in years to come. Having read experiences here and at FGRV it seems the challenges that some meet, are completely different from others. It is great to hear though what challenges others deal with, especially those with trailers smaller than our Escapes.

Some searching at FGRV will also reveal a bunch of these obstacles full timers deal with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #11

Thanks Jim I have read ALL of the full timing posts on many sites including FGRV. Daisy and I are now at our three month count down with all the down sizing done and the basics identified as best we can. I am sure once we get on the road we will find out what we are missing. I guess that is really when the adventure starts!
Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
T I am sure once we get on the road we will find out what we are missing. I guess that is really when the adventure starts!
I think you nailed it there. Just do it! You will figure out as you go what works best.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalyn View Post
Thank you all. I meet with Reace tomorrow to see the 19 and the 21. I will also discuss if the modifications I need for work can be done.
I was getting nervous when I read a post that discouraged buying an Escape for fulltiming. But I, like the majority of you, do not plan to remain in frigid or high temperatures. I will just move on.
I do not plan on the foam insulation on the underbelly as I want the ability to fix things as needed, without having to carve my way through foam.
I am feeling more and more confident with ETI's products. And now more confident I can do this.
Thank you all,
Rosalyn
Rosalyn,
My wife, Dora, and I have been full timing in our 17' Casita for over a year now and have been perfectly happy with our new lifestyle. Escape has provided a great opportunity to have a little more room while retaining the fiberglass concept. We will be picking up a 2017 21' Escape on Jan.5th.

As some have mentioned, we go north in the summer and stay south in the winter. I have no plans for the underbelly foam.

Don't be discouraged, as I firmly believe you will do well!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think you nailed it there. Just do it! You will figure out as you go what works best.
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
I am sure once we get on the road we will find out what we are missing. I guess that is really when the adventure starts!
My $$ is on that once ur on the road you'll find out what to get rid of.
We'll be full time in our 19 in a few years, more than enough to be comfy. I'm with Jim just do it, rest will fall into place.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I seem to remember reading either from ETI material or on this Forum that ETI doesn't not recommend their trailers for full time use. So I'm wondering if there might be some warranty issues for someone using the trailer for full timing ?
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I seem to remember reading either from ETI material or on this Forum that ETI doesn't not recommend their trailers for full time use. So I'm wondering if there might be some warranty issues for someone using the trailer for full timing ?
I don't think I have ever heard that, Larry. I see no reason why they could not be used full time. I would imagine some of the lesser quality components might wear out quicker, but that is to be expected, and one of the reasons I am installing better ones myself. As far as the body and suspension goes, it should last out very well, I would think.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #18

I've heard of it in regard to light duty stick trailers, just not made to withstand the rigors of everyday use. In a year you put as much wear and tare on a trailer as most folks do in 10 years. Not something I'd be concerned about, I just wouldn't tell the manufacturer.

I don't see any mention of such in the Escape warranty. Chapter 2 of the owners manual does talk about "Prolonged Use"

"Your recreational vehicle was designed primarily for recreational use and short-term occupancy. If you
expect to occupy the coach for an extended period, be prepared to deal with condensation and the humid
conditions that may be encountered. The relatively small volume and tight compact construction of
modern recreational vehicles means that the normal living activities of even a few occupants will lead to
rapid moisture saturation of the air contained in the trailer and the appearance of visible moisture,
especially in cold weather."

It goes on from there.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From 2014 Escape manual.
Note use of the word "May".

NOTE: Your Escape Trailer Industries Warranty covers warrantable repairs that are performed by an
authorized Escape Trailer Industries dealer at their service center or facility only. It is important for the
owner to know that if you are unable to bring your unit in for repairs, Escape Trailer Industries is not
responsible for any costs incurred for the service call charge, or time accrued to come out to your unit.
Your unit is a recreational vehicle and not intended, nor manufactured, as a permanent residence. Longterm
or full-time occupancy may lead to premature deterioration and may, under the terms of the
warranty, constitute misuse and reduce your warranty protection.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Bingo thanks Glenn
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote