Canoes and the 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Canoes and the 5.0TA

After seeing someone lugging 2 Kayaks on the roof of an F150 I finally broke down and picked up new feet for my Thule roof rack. Installation is not as quick as when vehicles had rain gutters, but it seems to work okay once you do it a couple times. The canoe is 14'8" (4.5m), centered on the roof rack. have about 10" between the canoe and the trailer. Don't see why a 16'er (4.9m) wouldn't work, you could always slide it a bit forward if you want.

Did have to sit down and think about how to get the canoe up there if doing it solo. Not a big deal but I wouldn't want to do so if I were 80. Loaded it before hooking up to the trailer. As it sits, the back of the canoe is in line with the kingpin, at least it is by eye.

Won't know till tomorrow how it travels.

Keep in mind this is an 8' truck bed.
Attached Thumbnails
canoe1.jpg   canoe2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That brings back memories of carrying a 16' canoe on a roof rack on the hardtop of a small sports car when I was young and more foolish. The roof racks were a little bit closer together than yours. All worked well for many, many miles until one day I encountered a severe cross-wind. Seemed like the canoe wanted to make like a helicopter rotor. Good thing it was tied down by bow and stern lines also. It was a bit unnerving.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice looking canoe, Bob. What model is it?

I had considered going that way, but don't think I will because on extended trips it would be sitting there in the open a lot. Pretty sure I am going to get the Sea Eagle Travel Canoe. I would wait though until I head to the US, and have it delivered free to a friend's place. Save on $440 USD for shipping and taxes to my place. This canoe would replace my river canoe too.

If I knew I was going to do a big flatwater trip where I was headed, I certainly would look in to a setup like this, though my tripping canoe is 17' 6" long.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

It's a stripper, plans are from John Winters, designed many of the Swift canoes, as was this one. Paddles fast and straight, great for leaning. It's the first one I built, has more mistakes the you can count, but paddles so nice I hardly use any of the others. Just under 50 lbs.

Swift Canoe & Kayak - People Who Know, Paddle Swift
Old 04-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

I had wondered if it was an Osprey. Do you only paddle it solo?

The canoe I put on hold is nearly identical, it is the Kite, which is basically an Osprey with chine reworked. I got the plans HERE. That s a Kite on the front page.

Here are some photos of my Kite to near where it is now. I stretched it out to 15' 0". I am almost ready to glass the inside, but it is now sitting in the rafters as other projects took priority.
https://bearleealive.smugmug.com/Pro...oe-Build-Kite/

Do you have any more photos, including build ones, of your Osprey>

My flatwater tripper is also a John Winters design, the Swift Winisk. This is why I went with the plans for the Kite, as this boat is great on flat water, very fast.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

My canoe (in its rough form) on my old truck, along with my old Escape.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Wow! What gorgeous canoes!

I love admiring them, but I'm only a little green with envy. I know that when I get only a few weeks a year in Minnesota to use ours, I'm happier with our Wenonah Spirit II 17' composite that weighs 54 lb, and requires near zero maintenance. We were amazed how much easier a modern canoe paddles compared with the rugged Grumman aluminum canoes we used at Boy Scout Camp in the 1950's.

Also, I'm not bothered by all the museums fighting for the right to display ours.

Art
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
For those of you who like canoes, you may want to look at Hornbeck Boats.
A 12' canoe is about 21 lbs! Several of my full timing friends have them and love them.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On a club canoe trip, one couple were ordered by the trip master to get off the river. They had to wait on the highway to be picked up. The water level was very shallow and their Grumman aluminum stuck on every rock instead of sliding off like fibreglass, Kevlar and Royalex. The cedar strip guys left their boats at home.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #10

Oh man, that's a long time ago. I took a quick look on my external drive and I have images back to 2000, so the Osprey was before that. I;ll have to go dig up one of my old hard drives and see what's on it, that is as long as I can bring it up on a windows 10. Don't even know if I had a digital back then.

I can tell you I built it almost identically to how you did, no little holes to fill with tooth picks. Took a long time to glue up doing 1 strip at a time.

Here's a few
1. The 15' Hiawatha hull, built in 2001, it was the third and last one I did.
2. Hiawatha in use, or about to be.
3. Obviously the Hiawatha on top, 12' Rob Roy and the paddle I carved for it, you sit on the bottom and use a kayak paddle. Not nice in cold water. In the foreground are 2 paddles I carved this winter along with a repair job. Started varnishing yesterday.

Almost forgot, I picked up a Kevlar Swift Mattawa, cause I liked the Osprey so much. Figured I'd still be able to lug it around as we get older. Nice but not as nice as the cedar, I don't use it much.
Attached Thumbnails
Hiawatha_hull (768 x 512).jpg   Dallas in Canoe (768 x 512).jpg   IMAG0310 (960 x 576).jpg  
Old 04-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Beauty.