Capacitive touch Dometic Thermostat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Capacitive touch Dometic Thermostat

Frustrating. Our brand new 19 sat for a month under cover in the cool weather. The thermostat worked fine a month ago. Now it's sporadic at best. Took 15 minutes of finger touch maneuvers to get it to finally cycle through to the furnace setting. Took about 20 minutes of finger maneuvering to turn it off. Had the same thermostat in our Class C and it worked fine. Old fingers perhaps? Warmed up my hands with a space heater and it seemed to help. Anyone else have a finicky Dometic thermostat? Heading out for a few days at the ocean next week (with a space heater backup). Happy Thanksgiving.
travelinmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I haven't been all that pleased with mine - at times is seems responsive, and at others difficult. I've ordered the Dometic version that includes Bluetooth & expect it to arrive around December 6th (although I have not had much luck with Dometic parts arriving on schedule). If it arrives and the weather is good enough for me to make the change I'll report on how well it works.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I haven't been all that pleased with mine - at times is seems responsive, and at others difficult. I've ordered the Dometic version that includes Bluetooth & expect it to arrive around December 6th (although I have not had much luck with Dometic parts arriving on schedule). If it arrives and the weather is good enough for me to make the change I'll report on how well it works.
Thanks. I'll look for the update. Let me know how easy it is to install. I think my bad boy is going away.
travelinmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have also experienced frustration with this thermostat. It did all manners of crazy things including rapidly running up and down the scale when trying to set temperature. For what it's worth and I am certainly no electrical expert, I popped off the cover and drilled holes in it big enough to fit a finger at the up and down arrows and the mode button. I then replaced the cover. Now when setting I am directly touching the prongs instead of touching the plastic cover. I have had no issues since doing that. I will probably have to blow the dust out of it periodically and it ain't pretty but it seems to work. Perhaps one of our resident electricians can explain it .
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Send a message via MSN to kwthere Send a message via Yahoo to kwthere
Several years ago, I purchased a Honeywell Digital, Non-Programable Thermostat. It is battery powered (2 AA). It was very easy to wire - on my 5.0 TA, there are two wires. I always use lithium batteries as alkaline batteries drop their voltage output as temp drops into the 30's.
Although the thermostat is designed for home use, it works very well in my trailer.
Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat
kwthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
when I 1st started using my thermostat I was fairly frustrated too. I also took mine apart and read the manual. maybe not your issue, but the thermostat requires a very soft touch, applying any pressure is not good, as I understand it. at 1st I really missed the old manual thermostat in my 2004 Casita. it was a dinosaur, but worked great for me. I even took it apart every year to freshen up the connections so it would keep working, and also knew how to adjust the spring tension. now that I'm used to the new one, it has been working great, I definitely like the new one better. maybe something is wrong with yours, hope you can get it working better. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our Dometic capacitive touch thermostat failed ( Display was difficult to impossible to read and would not hold settings ) I called Dometic and they agreed to replace the Tstat N/C ( evidently a common problem ) I installed the new thermostat and a year later we are back at step I . Looking for a good mechanical thermostat , not concerned with accuracy as much as reliability.and ease of use .

Some of the newer Honeywell digital thermostats no longer have an anticipation setting only CPH dip switches . Temperature drift / variation is all over the map (6 to 10 deg) Digital doesn’t always equate with accuracy
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I don't particularly like the capacitive touch thermostat but I've not had any problems with it functioning as designed. I would be interested in hearing back from Jon if he has received and installed the Bluetooth replacement.
I would prefer a thermostat that showed both the ambient and set temps.

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthere View Post
Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat

Thanks for this recommendation. I had replaced my mechanical thermostat with a White-Rodgers digital thermostat and it failed, as did its replacement: both could not find the correct ambient temperature and would be off by several degrees. I purchased the furnace-only version of the Honeywell thermostat and installed it recently. It seems to be working okay, although I've only used it a few times. So far so good.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I don't particularly like the capacitive touch thermostat but I've not had any problems with it functioning as designed. I would be interested in hearing back from Jon if he has received and installed the Bluetooth replacement.
I would prefer a thermostat that showed both the ambient and set temps.

Walt
not sure yours works like mine, I have 2018 Escape 21, but if you cycle through the settings, the one after furnace is off, and will show the ambient temp. one drawback for me is highest ambient temp reading is too low, maybe only 90 degrees as I recall. in the summer, I've seen 120 degrees in my trailer. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Well, it seems that Dometic has stopped making the Bluetooth version of their capacitive touch thermostat so my order was canceled. Still looking for a better solution. As far as I know, a household thermostat, even battery powered so it doesn't need the 24V AC connection, won't work in the newer trailers that use a combined AC & furnace thermostat.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #12

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Well, it seems that Dometic has stopped making the Bluetooth version of their capacitive touch thermostat so my order was canceled. Still looking for a better solution. As far as I know, a household thermostat, even battery powered so it doesn't need the 24V AC connection, won't work in the newer trailers that use a combined AC & furnace thermostat.
Micro-air seems to make a bunch of thermostats. I don't have any experience with them, but I have used one of their soft-start units.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...32199143555156
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #13

Although Dometic stopped making their Bluetooth thermostat, Micro-Air (the maker of the easy start module for air conditioners) also makes a replacement thermostat that has both Bluetooth & WiFi. They have models for most versions of RV thermostats. I ordered a ASY-351-X01 in black (white is also available) and installed it. Had to splice some smaller gauge wires since the wires into the Dometic thermostat don't fit the connectors on the Micro-Air thermostat.

After downloading the app for the thermostat, I was able to use either the touch screen (which works much better than Dometic's) or the app on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1886.jpg  
Old 03-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Jon, what was the initial difficulty you were having with your Dometic thermostat? It seemed you were having on and off problems. Do you ever note what was associated with the difficult times?

One of you mentioned that it requires a light touch, and I found that to be the case for me. Now my only problem with it is that for the readout to be easily legible, I’ve got to be just face on.

Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Although Dometic stopped making their Bluetooth thermostat, Micro-Air (the maker of the easy start module for air conditioners) also makes a replacement thermostat that has both Bluetooth & WiFi. They have models for most versions of RV thermostats. I ordered a ASY-351-X01 in black (white is also available) and installed it. Had to splice some smaller gauge wires since the wires into the Dometic thermostat don't fit the connectors on the Micro-Air thermostat.

After downloading the app for the thermostat, I was able to use either the touch screen (which works much better than Dometic's) or the app on my phone.
I see it's from Hutch Mt. I installed their Propane Conversion Kit on my Honda 2200 and really like it. Good products!
Old 03-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Jon, what was the initial difficulty you were having with your Dometic thermostat? It seemed you were having on and off problems. Do you ever note what was associated with the difficult times?

One of you mentioned that it requires a light touch, and I found that to be the case for me. Now my only problem with it is that for the readout to be easily legible, I’ve got to be just face on.

Jonathan
It was annoying that sometimes a light touch worked fine, and the next time it would skip through settings, or not do anything until you tried a different amount of "touch". It was also difficult to see, and didn't show the actual temperature in the trailer. Once it was set it worked fine.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I don’t know if one of these would work to replace our thermostats.. I’ve used them on a number of projects on my boat. Inexpensive if it will do the job.
Bob

https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-Heatin...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Bob, this thermostat looks interesting. But I’m wondering how to mount it (on the refrigerator side bulkhead in my 17B). Seems too deep, or what do you think?

Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
10x10 cm in the description....
Old 03-23-2021, 06:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Bob, this thermostat looks interesting. But I’m wondering how to mount it (on the refrigerator side bulkhead in my 17B). Seems too deep, or what do you think?

Jonathan

My thermostat is surface mounted on fridge bulkhead. I don't have air conditioning, but even so, I have no idea why the one linked needs to take up so much space.
Attached Thumbnails
Therm2.jpg  

Tags
capacitive, dometic, thermostat