Carlisle Tire Delamination - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re tire life and ratings... utility trailers and such rarely see anywhere near the mileage an RV is likely to see unless they are in commercial use day in and day out. one of our 2-3 week road trips can easily burn 1500-3000 miles. my old utility trailer I used for dump runs would see 10 miles maybe a dozen times a year.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I just had a new tire replaced this morning. A less than 2000 mile Carlisle got a ding in the sidewall and it was into the side plies.
Replaced it under Discount tire warranty with an Endurance tire. Big difference, same size tire has a much wider footprint.
Also made in USA.
Only had to pay tire cost difference.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought you would need at least one side with matching tread or there may be towing impacts cause by different tire treads?
Old 05-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I was under the impression that if the tire was same size and greater than C rating it did not make any difference. Especially on a tiny 21C lightweight trailer.

It would if different size on a vehicle axle.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #25

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Semievolved... Had the bearings repacked and the brakes serviced in prep for a trip to NFLD in 2019. When my RVTech took the wheels off he said not on these tires. They looked perfect but one had a crack running around the tire in the tread that you couldn't see when on the trailer. That sent me to the tire shop and the request for a set of Endurance. The shop owner wouldn't believe me they were made in USA but I insisted he get them. Shy knees tires were $90. ea. Goodyear Endurance were $130. ea. Peace of mind was priceless!!! I do air them down to 47#'s to soften the ride some. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Sounds like the endurance is a great tire, all good reports. Do you find they wear evenly at 47 psi long term?
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
tread is pretty much non-functional on a trailer tire. they are too skinny to hydroplane at sane speeds
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
Sounds like the endurance is a great tire, all good reports. Do you find they wear evenly at 47 psi long term?
Hi: Semievolved... So far there's no indicator of excessive wear by airing them down. They're already 1 load range higher than the ETI std. tires anyhoo!!! They took a pounding on the roads of Newfoundland and I took one for my use of the term "Shy knees" as a racial slur? The private message was a surprise to me and totally uncalled for IMHO. Nothing and no one is perfect!!! I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my humour. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Alf I wouldn't worry about it, I believe a lot of people don't understand your sense of humour. I sometimes don't and I thought I knew you pretty well
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
tread is pretty much non-functional on a trailer tire. they are too skinny to hydroplane at sane speeds
Just for laughs, get a set of slick tires, put them on your trailer, drive in the rain at legal highway speed... and report back if you survive.

These trailer tires are narrow by current car and light truck standards, but are typical for cars of a few decades ago... which all needed tread.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #30
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
...They took a pounding on the roads of Newfoundland and I took one for my use of the term "Shy knees" as a racial slur?
Holy smokes. It took a couple of Googles to find a suggestion that it might, very remotely, be interpreted as a slur. What the .... (fill in your own expletive)!
Yet there's some rock group with that title...the Shy Knees. Never heard of them, and most likely won't. I wonder if there's a portion of society that's slagging them via social media? Seems the world is rushing to render judgement on everyone else. Clearly some people just aren't busy enough.
I jumped to the conclusion that having a flat tire, anywhere, with older knees that are reluctant to work, or (apparently) replaced knees that you cannot kneel on...that that was what you were talking about.
I totally agree with your "uncalled for" assessment. Now watch me get slagged LOL
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alf, You’re one of the finest hosts for a rally that we have ever encountered. And a fine generous human who has shown no preference for the trailers people own, cars they drive or beer they drink. I have been accused of my fair share of transgressions including politics, legal harvest of fur bearing aminals, hunting, protected classes abuse etc etc. But growing up Bohemie, eating pigeon noodle soup and trapping pocket gophers for spending money as a kid made my skin thick and my determination stronger. I know the same is true for you so I wouldn’t worry about reprimands from people who can only punch a keyboard and probably haven’t done much honest work in their life either. Seems strange to be a big Northern European white guy these days. As Pat Benetar said “Hit me with your best shot” Fire Away
I Yam what I Yam : Popeye
Iowa Dave
Old 05-22-2021, 11:47 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My knees aren’t shy after working on them for a while, they down right scream loudly. More squats please.
By the way shy knees was a 1927 film and is a Leipzig rock band.

I think the person who pm Escape Artist may have misinterpreted it as a racial slur, plenty of that around also. I’m also an old white guy, but I’ve seen some not very nice behavior lately in the college town I live in, involving some nasty comments. That’s enough, trailer talk is better
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hi: Semievolved... So far there's no indicator of excessive wear by airing them down. They're already 1 load range higher than the ETI std. tires anyhoo!!! They took a pounding on the roads of Newfoundland and I took one for my use of the term "Shy knees" as a racial slur? The private message was a surprise to me and totally uncalled for IMHO. Nothing and no one is perfect!!! I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my humour. Alf
I have no clue what this is about Alf. But it sounds like you received a PM that breaks the Escape Forum Community Rules. AND, that's NOT okay. Send me a PM with the details and it will be taken care of.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
carlisle tires, delamination