Carrying a waste water tote - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #21

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
does anyone carry a waste water tote such as a barker 25 gallon on there rear bumper?
We have a 5.0 and carry a 28 gallon portable waste container, a Camco, in the bed of our pickup. We recently bought it and it has come in very handy!
iamcmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Send a message via AIM to Farmerdoug
We carry a waste tote to state parks if staying more than a few days. We have found the gray tank fills up faster than the black tank (duh), and we have started flushing gray water down the toilet if the gray tank is likely to get filled up. We wash dishes in a small tub, which can also be used in the sink. It all goes down the same pipe when dumping.
Farmerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
I'm considering buying one of these because the black tank on our 2001 17B is only 10 gallons. Probably the 12 gallon like Red Dog has because it looks the shortest one I've found. The bottom of my waste dump is only about 9" off the ground. Is this high enough to get the stuff into this 12 gallon tank? Can you empty everything out? I've read complaints on some of these that no matter what you do there is always 1/2 gallon or so left in the tank. Also if there is any other way to increase the black water capacity of our trailer, I'd love to hear ideas.
77FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
I'm considering buying one of these because the black tank on our 2001 17B is only 10 gallons. Probably the 12 gallon like Red Dog has because it looks the shortest one I've found. The bottom of my waste dump is only about 9" off the ground. Is this high enough to get the stuff into this 12 gallon tank? Can you empty everything out? I've read complaints on some of these that no matter what you do there is always 1/2 gallon or so left in the tank. Also if there is any other way to increase the black water capacity of our trailer, I'd love to hear ideas.
10 gallons of waste in your 12 gallon tank will weigh about 80 lbs, plus the dry weight of the tank. good luck dragging that across a campground to a dump station, or lifting it up to pour into a toilet, UGH.

our Casita 16 had a fairly small black tank, but by minimizing the amount of flush water used, two of us could usually stretch it a week. if we're staying over a week at a non-sewer campground, we'd hitch up, drag it to the dumpstation, dump, then bring it back to our campsite, whole process takes maybe an hour, but typically we dont' stay more than 5-6 days in one campground before meandering off to another.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #25

There are 4 of us (wife, me, and 2 kids). We can pretty easily last 3 days. Might be able to stretch it to 4. Haven't tried yet. A waste tote seems like it might help us with the longer trips. My plan is to dump into the portable waste tank and just leave it in there until we pack up and dump it and the trailer at the same time. that way we could get to 6 days pretty easy. also 80 lbs is no problem for me. Lift more than that on a regular basis at work. Plus it has wheels so really shouldn't need to dead lift it. Maybe just muscle it around occasionally is all.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
There are 4 of us (wife, me, and 2 kids). We can pretty easily last 3 days. Might be able to stretch it to 4. Haven't tried yet. A waste tote seems like it might help us with the longer trips. My plan is to dump into the portable waste tank and just leave it in there until we pack up and dump it and the trailer at the same time. that way we could get to 6 days pretty easy. also 80 lbs is no problem for me. Lift more than that on a regular basis at work. Plus it has wheels so really shouldn't need to dead lift it. Maybe just muscle it around occasionally is all.
you'll need to muscle it in and out of your vehicle, and pray it doesn't slosh and leak.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #27
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Princess Auto in Canada had the 21 US gallon Camco Rhino tote on sale 2 weeks ago for CDN$169 (about US$130) and roughly half the price listed on Amazon.ca.

Bought one after viewing the pros, cons and usage on YouTube.
I don't want to limit camping options and attempting to abide by the Scout motto...be prepared.

Particularly when it comes to inevitable daily needs like breathing and eating and the anticipated result of the latter.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #28
Site Team

wow, 20 gallons, thats like 160 lbs. thats going to be a BEAST to roll on anything other than smooth pavement.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What's your Maximum Tote Rating?
Old 08-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #30
Site Team

Old 08-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve seen full blue totes, pretty good sized ones, rigged up to everything from a a bicycle to a 3500 series RAM pickup and being towed to the dump station. After many years of dragging dead animals across floors, through the woods and across creeks, I eventually invented the spoked wheel and things got easier. Yes I have my genealogy picture and Cro-Magnon is in there.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
77FJ40.
Hi there.Find somebody that can install an extra tank .That would also leave your grey water tank with its own outlet for rapid dumping.Get a Tornado flusher installed at the same time.
It would more then double your black tank capacity.We have done that on our 17 , now sold.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #33

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Thank goodness the wheel and leverage has been invented, and makes toting heavy objects a breeze. Thank the engineers of the world. No thanks to non productive, non producing individuals who do nothing but criticize with one liners.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Honeywagon works for us.

@77FJ40.
"A waste tote seems like it might help us with the longer trips. My plan is to dump into the portable waste tank and just leave it in there until we pack up and dump it and the trailer at the same time. "

Haven't received our 2022 Escape yet, but we've had a 19' Scamp (9 gal black tank) for 5 years. We typically are at any one site for 3 to 12 days.
Most honeywagons have a removable handle that makes it much easier to tote (that leverage thing) from the camper to the truck and then it just loops over the hitch ball; there is no lifting a full tank and they are sealed so no sloshing.
Even on rough camp roads you just creep at about 5 mph (that wheel thing) to the dumping station. It beats dragging the whole camper over every other day.
Right now we carry it (empty and sealed) in the truck bed, there are various carriers just for the empty wagon.

Regards, Bill
BillMcgTenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
77FJ40.
Hi there.Find somebody that can install an extra tank .That would also leave your grey water tank with its own outlet for rapid dumping.Get a Tornado flusher installed at the same time.
It would more then double your black tank capacity.We have done that on our 17 , now sold.
Alan, I'd love to hear more about this extra black tank you installed. Any more info or pictures?

Max
Old 08-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #36

I got no pictures, I found a couple of guys east of Vancouver that were doing plastic welding repairs and such and approached them about installing an extra tank.No problem, the quote was around $ 600, but ended up at $ 800.Very happy with the results.They installed it close to the existing tank and it had a separate drain.So when the first tank filled up it had connection to the second tank and filled that one.ETi did not like to try that solution at the time.Our 2005 had a 7 1/2 gallon black tank. (One and a half Jerry can)The Tornado flusher was installed on the opposite side and totally worked with lots of power.Just hooked up the same hose used to flush the other tank. Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #37

Sorry, ended up as a single drain.
What I am trying to say is.One drain for the grey tank and one drain for the black tank.
So you would have to disconnect the black and move over to the grey.No big deal, drained really fast.Straight flush.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #38

Wow! That would be really nice and totally worth the money. Thanks for the help and extra details. I've got to find someone around my area that could do that for me.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcmv View Post
We have a 5.0 and carry a 28 gallon portable waste container, a Camco, in the bed of our pickup. We recently bought it and it has come in very handy!
We are thinking of getting one for boondocking. I am concerned that any tote that has a capacity less than the tank being drained will be a problem. I worry that I will have a full tote and a full sewer line. Then what? Is it easy to monitor the fill level of these totes?
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #40

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Mine has a gauge, that from experience, I know when to stop and still have room to fill from the sewer hose. Test it with fresh, or at least gray water first. It’s in storage since we don’t have the trailer yet. It’s 10 gallons, blue, and was bought 15 or 20 years ago. The gauge screws into the water hose port. Hope that helps.