Carrying a waste water tote - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
Carrying a waste water tote

does anyone carry a waste water tote such as a barker 25 gallon on there rear bumper?
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tote

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
does anyone carry a waste water tote such as a barker 25 gallon on there rear bumper?
I do not own a tote but have been contemplating buying one. I have a Yakima four place bike rack that I acquired at very little cost. I talked to my brother who was a certified welder at one time and he was pretty sure we could use the bike rack receiver and some tubing to fabricate a “cage” for transporting the tote (empty of course). I do camp on occasion where there’s a dump station very near the campground and wouldn’t mind the ability to empty the grey and or black tank “mid stay”. Can’t help much more than that but have contemplated the transport concept. Thought maybe the bike carrier adaptation would give you some ideas. I think a person could soften the tote contact with the metal cage with pool noodles or foam pipe insulation.

In South Carolina one time I was camped and relaxing when I heard the low rumble of a 3500 series dually Dodge diesel pickup going by. He was pulling a medium sized tote to the dump station at about 5 miles an hour. He had quite a drop hitch rigged up to be able to tow the tank. About 30 minutes later I heard the same crunchy tote tire sound on the campground road again. I looked up. A tote pretty much identical to the first one was going by towed by a guy about 45 years old on a ten speed type bicycle. He was headed for the dump station, elaborate towing frame off the seat post and all, at about 7 or 8 miles an hour. Ironic was my thought at that minute. Takes all kinds.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I carry a 10 gallon. It’s as heavy as I want to deal with. I do not have my Escape yet, so I don’t know where it will ride. In the past, depending on RV, I have used shower, truck bed, roof, ladder, bumper, and tongue. Obviously it went out of the shower when we stopped. It really just depends on your space and how you can utilize it to help you
Old 01-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
We have a tote that holds about 12 gallons. We took it on a trip and pulled it to the dump station behind a bike. After making 2 trips to the dump station to empty the black tank, I decided it didn't save any time over hitching up the trailer to go to the dump station.

We still use the tote when the black tank gets full at home by dumping it in the toilet (filled about 1/2 full).
Old 01-05-2021, 11:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape Shopping
We looked into the various totes to supplement our 13 gallon gray tank in our 16 ft Casita. My pickup bed has a hard tonneau cover, which prevents event the smallest tote from being carried on its side (empty), requiring too much valuable bed space. My solution was two 7.5 gallon fresh water containers from Walmart (called an Aqua-Tainer) and a short hose and a few fittings. They double my gray capacity and are short enough to store in the truck bed and still close the cover. Also, they are light enough when full to pick up and place in the truck bed, making it easy to dump them on the way out of the park when we go for an excursion. It appears that I have not posted enough to attach pictures, but I have included a link to the container below.

P.S. This is not my idea. I’ve seen other threads on various forums showing these containers used for the same purpose.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/045...0&odnBg=ffffff
Scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I have a 12 gal. unit that came with my first gen 19. Have mixed feelings about it after using it a few times.

It is heavy when full, yet doesn't have enough capacity to take the full volume of the grey water tank, so you have to watch to not overfill and spill since the sewer tube cannot be locked on to the tote--it just slides into the hole. If you've emptied the black tank first, then overfill with the grey, you've got a real mess on your hands. Also, the vent on the tote is too small, so if you open the gate fully on your trailer tank, the air pressure builds inside the tote and blows the slinky tube right out of the tote. Yuck!

Hopefully, the newer models have dealt with these issues, as they are quite expensive even if poorly designed.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Many years ago I had a 15 gallons one I stored on the roof of my stick trailer, used it just for gray water. With the limited space of the e19 I carry a 5 gallon drinking tank dedicated for the same purpose, but with the small tank I don’t need a dump station, just carry it to the nearest camp bathroom (when available), two trips and we can use our shower few times.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
One must consider that a waste water tote is akin to a sewer hose in terms of pathogen breeding and dumping and rinsing them after use is about as pleasant as a standard trip to the dump station.
I have the largest Barker made, but I have never taken it with me on a trip. It has pneumatic tires and is easily towed. I typically dump the holding tanks when departing a campground or upon arrival in certain situations. I learned years ago that Sunday checkouts often result in long lines at the dump station. I no longer will wait if there is more than one trailer in line. If I am going to another camping destination, I usually arrive after all the departures and dump after registering. If not, when I arrive home, I can usually get the contents of both the black and gray tanks into the Barker, drag it to my septic clean-out, and then rinse it out. I typically then pour some bleach in it, refill, and let it sit for a few hours. After draining and drying, it goes back into the shed.
If I were staying at a location seasonally, I would likely bring it with me. Unlike a previous poster, I do not consider hooking up the trailer for a dump station run and then having to go through the setup process a preferable choice. Rather than trying to affix it to the bumper, I would likely transport the portable waste tank in the truck bed behind my 5th Wheel hitch, or strapped to a luggage rack in the trailer’s receiver.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
When traveling full time, one must be prepared for all situations. So, I installed a 12-gallon Thetford tank. I carry it under our 21’ TT.

SmartTote2 Portable RV Waste Tote Tank - 2 Wheels - 12 Gallon - Thetford 40505 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P66C7Y..._H6C9FbS4YFXYX

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5222.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	53034

Name:	IMG_5221.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	53035

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
When traveling full time, one must be prepared for all situations. So, I installed a 12-gallon Thetford tank. I carry it under our 21’ TT.

SmartTote2 Portable RV Waste Tote Tank - 2 Wheels - 12 Gallon - Thetford 40505 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P66C7Y..._H6C9FbS4YFXYX

Attachment 53034
Attachment 53035

Fred M.
Fred,

How is the frame held up? Is that a bungee holding it up?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have a 25 gallon tote that we take when we know we will be in the same spot for a few weeks. It pulls behind our truck to the dump just fine. Takes a few trips to empty the tanks but no big deal.We rinse it out at the dump, refill with water and a bit of OdoBan, dump that, and are fine. It rides in the back of our truck. I wasn’t sure we would use it much but I found it at a thrift store for $4, and we have used it probably 6 times in the past 2 years. For that price I couldn’t go wrong, and it had never been used.
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
I used one with horse trailer because dump stations were not always available. I would just empty it in the restroom. Since it was just me and only on weekends, the size was not a problem. If we decide to try boondocking I might take it just in case we need it.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bungee

It looks like a bungee strap holding the frame and tank up. I see 2 pipe strap/clamps retaining the pivoting end of the frame.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Fred,

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Fred,

I drilled holes in the angle iron and attached to the existing frame bolts.

I also used a plastic coated chain.

I painted the frame black to kinda hide it.

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 01-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
I had been looking at buying one. With this summer's RV rush the one I wanted was out of stock.

This thread reminded me and I ordered the Camco Rhino Heavy Duty 15 Gallon Portable RV Waste Holding Tank (39000) today. It was $83 with free shipping from Walmart. Don't let the $60 plus shipping that comes up initially scare you like it did me. When you get to the actual checkout it really is free shipping.

I figure 15 gallons is a good size if I dump at half a tank, it should be plenty big, and light enough to muscle and dump it in a regular toilet.

Quote:
I like Fred's PVC rack. I also was thinking about a loop of PVC pipe that slips over the top 1/4 of the spare tire and hanging it by it's hook to that, and securing it with straps.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Camco Rhino Heavy Duty 15 Gallon Portable RV Waste Holding Tank (39000)
I was looking at those too, but hesitate because it's 13" tall. Will the tanks flow out into it? I think it mostly will, but maybe not completely. We'd certainly be left with a full hose afterwords and no free supply of rinse water.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
I was looking at those too, but hesitate because it's 13" tall. Will the tanks flow out into it? I think it mostly will, but maybe not completely. We'd certainly be left with a full hose afterwords and no free supply of rinse water.
It comes with a plethora of fittings and accessories.

Name:	Rhino 15 gal accessories.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	53080

Including a shorty dump hose.

Name:	Rhino 15 gal shorty hose.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	53081

And a shorty grey water hose that attaches to my upgraded cap.

Name:	camco sewer cap.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	53082

I'll let you know how it all works when I get it. On my last trip our last night was spent at a Bass Pro, a couple hours from home. It was getting late and I didn't want to push it. So, we've got a days worth to dump, when it arrives.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
I drilled holes in the angle iron and attached to the existing frame bolts.

I also used a plastic coated chain.

I painted the frame black to kinda hide it.

Fred M.
I really like the idea of storing the tank under the front of the trailer. Would like to find something slightly bigger that could take half of the grey tank. Most start getting a lot thicker in bigger sizes than this 12 gallon that you use. I have a 25 gallon Tote-N-Store that takes up too much room in the truck bed and is too big too go under the front of the trailer. In addition it traps about a gallon of liquid in the area around the connector that is impossible to get out - gross.

Anybody find anything that fits under the trailer? If not I will go with the 12 gallon. It can stay under there full time. That leaves room for the fire pit, grill, chairs etc.

I like the Rhino shown above but I think it would hang down to far and get damaged.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Attachment 53034
Attachment 53035

Fred M.
Great job Fred! I might have to copy your idea for the front of ours.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Great job Fred! I might have to copy your idea for the front of ours.

Ha Ha! Like I copied your plan! I really liked how you had yours on your Scamp!

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"