Changing batteries with solar question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The difference is not critical enough to need to be done prior to replacing the batteries or uncovering the solar panels, but I'd do it as soon as possible after the AGM batteries are in place.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I did notice in the Go Power owners' manual that for AGM recharging, equalization is eliminated. I don't even know what that means, but others on the forum do.

Since it's so easy to change, I'd just make the change before you remove the old ones, assuming you get AGMs. Or you could make the change after you put the new ones in. I doubt anything significant would happen if you put the new AGM ones in and then change the charge profile in the next little while.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Donna,

The part number on their site is AGMGC2.

When you are on their site, do a search for GC2 (golf cart). It brings up a few including this AGM. The price is shown as $201.99. I paid $169.99 plus tax.

If I knew how to insert a link, I would.

The amp/hours are rated at 190. There are more expensive batteries with slightly higher amp/hour ratings, but they are from sellers that don't have stores all over the country.

Bill

? is AGM for Solar "a thing" so if you focus on running via SOLAR you need a AGM for Solar ...

Reason I ask GoPower recommends 6 Volt Sun Cycle AGM Solar Battery GP-AGM-224-6V

https://gpelectric.com/products/6-vo...solar-battery/

the interstate battery doesn't say 'for solar'
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/gc2-hd-agm

Cash grab or a real thing

By the way ... thanks for all the info about covering up mounted solar panels when unhooked from batteries. much appreciated

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And for me, are AGM batteries "deep cycle" or do you need a specific "deep cycle AGM"?
Old 05-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
? is AGM for Solar "a thing" so if you focus on running via SOLAR you need a AGM for Solar ...
The choice of AGM or flooded is unrelated to the power source (solar or other). AGM batteries are popular with some solar system vendors, but there's nothing about solar power which requires AGM batteries.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And for me, are AGM batteries "deep cycle" or do you need a specific "deep cycle AGM"?
Glenn,

I’m not aware of deep cycle AGM.
I was mostly shopping for amp/hours plus eliminating the need to refill the cells with distilled water every few months. The AGMs I just got say they have 190 amp/hours. The originals had 232, I think, so slightly less, but close enough for me. Plus this allows me to turn the propane detector on again.
The off-gassing while charging the original batteries kept setting it off.

One place I read said AGMs charge quicker. I don’t know if that’s true.

Bill
Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Glenn,

I was mostly shopping for amp/hours plus eliminating the need to refill the cells with distilled water every few months. The AGMs I just got say they have 190 amp/hours. The originals had 232, I think, so slightly less, but close enough for me. Plus this allows me to turn the propane detector on again.

Bill
Lifeline makes a deep cycle AGM. You pay for it!
Old 05-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Sometimes you get what you pay for, if there literature is accurate, these are very good batteries. However it is approaching lithium costs.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #29

I'm thinking I will stick with my Trojab 27 TMX.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 1996 Frontier 5th (22')
When setting up my single panel (100 watt) solar system a couple years ago, I installed two of these 20 amp car stereo audio breakers.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The breakers go before the controller. One on the panel (PV) side, the other on the battery side. This style of breaker is available in larger sizes - 20 amp was ample for my situation. When connecting/disconnecting batteries, the procedure is always Batt 1st on, 1st off. PV last on, last off. I have the procedure and breakers perma-marked at location so I don’t mess up when taking the batteries out for winter and reinstalling in spring.

BTW, I just bought a new set of 6V GC batteries. Add me to the unhappy list for the Costco GC’s (apparently Interstate). I did get them to last 6 years, but half way through this span they started leaking acid, that I had to constantly keep an eye on. Very happy to be rid of that problem, I went with Crowns this time around. Picked up 2 CR-235’s for $160/each (Cdn) which was actually a few dollars cheaper than a new pair from Costco. I don’t miss the speed caps at all, actually quite glad to be rid of them. Handybob has only good things to say about Crown. I hope to get well more than 6 years from this new pair.
darrentoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:25 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
GC2 golf cart batteries are ALL deep cycle.

I changed mine middle of the day, and didn't bother to cover the solar. disconnected the ground first, then the jumper between the two batts, then the plus, then lifted them out (you NEED a golf cart batt strap for this), put the new ones in, and connected them in the reverse order, positive, then the jumper between them, then the negative cable.

if I was switching from flooded to AGM, I'd probably switch the power center and solar controller right after hooking the AGM up. or maybe even beforce disconnecting the flooded. I doubt its that critical.

I couldn't justify the cost of the AGM GC2's to myself, and got the cheap Costco/Interstate basic GC-2 flooded cells. I can probably replace these 3 times for the cost of 1 set of AGMs.

I check the water about once a year, and haven't had to add any yet. if I did an extensive road trip with a lot of dry camping and days of no-sun so the batteries got run down repeatedly, I'd probably check the water after getting home.

with the interstates, the water plugs are on a parallelogram sort of seal, you turn the middle one and it unlocks all three, lift the plug assembly and you can check all 3 cells, top off and replace plug, and turn the middle lever back, done. 10 seconds if you don't need to add H2O. *ALWAYS* use distilled water, not deionized and most certainly not tap water!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
*ALWAYS* use distilled water, not deionized and most certainly not tap water!

UNLESS you live in Vancouver.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:17 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I see they meet mil-spec requirements. That is expensive!
Old 05-21-2021, 06:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Glenn,

Bill
I believe golf cart batteries function in a similar manner as a battery labeled as a “deep cycle AGM” battery. Golf cart batteries are designed to allow multiple discharge/charge cycles. AGMs do seem to charge faster, but under heavy charge there may be some offgassing so having AGMs may reduce false propane alarms caused by hydrogen, but will not necessarily eliminate them. But IMO, AGMs are superior to flooded lead batteries. I will never go back to flooded lead batteries in my trailer.
The price of the O’Reilly AGMGC batteries is definitely a bargain compared to the price charged for Lifeline AGMs, probably by $400 US (or less than 50%) for two 6v batteries.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #35

While the Lifeline AGM batteries have a good reputation, and, if I hadn't decided to go with lithium, I would have used them to replace my flooded batteries, at least one member of the Escape family has had problems with another high end AGM manufacturer (Crown) & switched to SiO2.

There are lots of choices & technologies available, probably with more to come.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
True Confessions: about 18 months ago I swapped out the batteries that came with the trailer and replaced them with AGM batteries. Since I hadn't read the manual for the solar charger, I didn't do anything like covering the solar panels or otherwise disconnecting the solar charger. But there seem to be no ill effects. s

The only downside was taking the old batteries out. I knew they were leaking gas (and causing problems with the propane detector), but didn't realize that some of the battery acid had gotten down the sides of the battery cases. Until a day later when I noticed some new holes appearing in the front of my jeans. I presume it is from lifting them out in the confined space.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I've read opinions on both sides of the argument about disconnecting the panels when fiddling with the battery but I've never read about any adverse consequences from not doing it.

I disconnect mine with a switch but am not convinced it's a problem.

Anyone have any first hand experience with a problem from not disconnecting the panel?
Old 05-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
While the Lifeline AGM batteries have a good reputation, and, if I hadn't decided to go with lithium, I would have used them to replace my flooded batteries, at least one member of the Escape family has had problems with another high end AGM manufacturer (Crown) & switched to SiO2.

There are lots of choices & technologies available, probably with more to come.
Curious with the lithium switch, did you get one or two? Also which brand
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Curious with the lithium switch, did you get one or two? Also which brand
Three Battleborn GC2's. The original installation description is here. I added the third battery this spring.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
True Confessions: about 18 months ago I swapped out the batteries that came with the trailer and replaced them with AGM batteries. Since I hadn't read the manual for the solar charger, I didn't do anything like covering the solar panels or otherwise disconnecting the solar charger. But there seem to be no ill effects. s

The only downside was taking the old batteries out. I knew they were leaking gas (and causing problems with the propane detector), but didn't realize that some of the battery acid had gotten down the sides of the battery cases. Until a day later when I noticed some new holes appearing in the front of my jeans. I presume it is from lifting them out in the confined space.
I'm impressed. Leon. Those suckers were heavier and taller than I expected. Sounds like the upper body is hanging in there, even though you're a bike rider.