Changing batteries with solar question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Changing batteries with solar question

Quick electrical/solar question

Within the next few weeks I’ll likely be replacing my 2 6V batteries. I’ve read warnings about that solar panels always need to be connected to batteries.

So maybe a dumb question …. I’ll be taking in the old batteries to wherever I end up buying the new batteries … I just make sure the battery leads don’t touch each other right?

I don’t have to worry about my solar panels / controller ….

I’m having more than enough trouble trying to decide between flooded or AGM

thanks Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm in the same boat, I'll be replacing mine too. But with the same as currently in the trailer. I'd really appreciate a step-by-step list in how to safely remove the batteries (with the stock solar panel and controller), to how to reinstall! Like written for a third grader
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Some just cover the panels. I solved this problem (if indeed it is a problem) by installing a Blue Seas 50amp breaker/switch between the panels and controller.

When replacing/fiddling with the batteries, just turn it off and the panels are isolated. I think it was about $30 and easy to install
Old 05-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Donna … love your post. FYI. I think there is a battery lifter upper thingy to get the damn battery out of the box ….
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Donna … love your post. FYI. I think there is a battery lifter upper thingy to get the damn battery out of the box ….
I have that, but have decided to let the battery seller lift out the old ones and put the new ones in the battery box. I've had back surgery and it's not worth the chance of hurting myself.

BUT, I want to unhook the batteries and solar and reinstall all the 'wires' myself. THAT I don't trust to the battery seller to do properly.

HELP.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Covering the solar panels is easy to do (and is part of the "must do" directions for most all solar controllers).
1st time, I used a couple of towels. 2nd time, I used a piece of cardboard.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Either cover the panels or add some kind of disconnect between the panels & the controller. I added a 30 amp marine type breaker/switch to mine.

While it doesn't always happen, most solar controller manufacturers bury somewhere in their manual not to have the panels connected without a battery connected. Can let the magic smoke out...
Old 05-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I’ve read warnings about that solar panels always need to be connected to batteries.
Here's the only technical reason I can think of that motivates leaving the panels, controller and battery always connected.

There can be a spark when connecting the battery or panels to a solar controller. The solar controller has a large capacitors connected to both the solar input and the battery output. If the solar controller has been disconnected for hours or more the capacitors will have discharged. When first connecting the wires to the controller there can be a spark as the capacitor changes from zero volts to the voltage of the battery or solar array.

This is a minor issue, and not something you need to worry about when changing batteries, which is a relatively rare occurrence.

If done on a regular bases, the spark can be avoided by using a high wattage resistor. Here's a video showing that:

https://youtu.be/YcKO4ZhjJlk?t=205

Again, this is not something you should worry about when changing batteries. Just be aware that there may be a spark when first connecting to the solar controller.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
One could simply have the new battery(s) ready and wait until it gets dark.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Cover them panels and the voltage will be non existent. Capacitors in the controller seems to be a valid caution.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:48 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have that, but have decided to let the battery seller lift out the old ones and put the new ones in the battery box. I've had back surgery and it's not worth the chance of hurting myself.

BUT, I want to unhook the batteries and solar and reinstall all the 'wires' myself. THAT I don't trust to the battery seller to do properly.

HELP.
Donna,

Good call on having the battery seller pull the old ones and lower in the new ones. Our original Interstate 6 volt flooded lead acid batteries are taller and heavier than most car batteries. They were nearly 7 years old, and lately the inverter squealed whenever we used the microwave for more than a few seconds.

After reading as much as I chose to, I ended up buying two new 6 volt AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries at O'Reilly auto parts store. They have 5400 stores nationwide if I need a replacement, and my credit card doubles the 1 year warranty. List price was $201 each, and they sold them for $169 each when I asked for any discounts. Fit like the originals, and now I can turn on the propane detector's power switch that I installed. I couldn't find an exact replacement for the original Interstates, or I might have tried them again, but I think I'll like having AGMs. They weigh about the same, but I wasn't ready to go Lithium, yet.

Our local Costco doesn't stock 6 volt batteries, and the reviews of the people who bought 6 volt ones at Costco were disappointing.

Be sure to take a couple of pictures of the wiring connections before going to the battery store. Hooking back up was easy.

Whatever batteries you get, check the manufacture date. You don't want ones that are more than a couple of months old.

If you do get AGMs, there is a pretty simple change to make to the charging system.
It changes a single digit in the small panel so it properly charges that type of battery.
It takes 10 seconds to do, and the instructions are in one of your manuals.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Donna,

Good call on having the battery seller pull the old ones and lower in the new ones. Our original Interstate 6 volt flooded lead acid batteries are taller and heavier than most car batteries. They were nearly 7 years old, and lately the inverter squealed whenever we used the microwave for more than a few seconds.

After reading as much as I chose to, I ended up buying two new 6 volt AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries at O'Reilly auto parts store. They have 5400 stores nationwide if I need a replacement, and my credit card doubles the 1 year warranty. List price was $201 each, and they sold them for $169 each when I asked for any discounts. Fit like the originals, and now I can turn on the propane detector's power switch that I installed. I couldn't find an exact replacement for the original Interstates, or I might have tried them again, but I think I'll like having AGMs. They weigh about the same, but I wasn't ready to go Lithium, yet.

Our local Costco doesn't stock 6 volt batteries, and the reviews of the people who bought 6 volt ones at Costco were disappointing.

Be sure to take a couple of pictures of the wiring connections before going to the battery store. Hooking back up was easy.

Whatever batteries you get, check the manufacture date. You don't want ones that are more than a couple of months old.

If you do get AGMs, there is a pretty simple change to make to the charging system.
It changes a single digit in the small panel so it properly charges that type of battery.
It takes 10 seconds to do, and the instructions are in one of your manuals.

Bill
That’s a good price for agm batteries. Plus no hydrogen gas released.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
After reading as much as I chose to, I ended up buying two new 6 volt AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries at O'Reilly auto parts store. They have 5400 stores nationwide if I need a replacement, and my credit card doubles the 1 year warranty. List price was $201 each, and they sold them for $169 each when I asked for any discounts. Fit like the originals...
Thanks for the info Bill! Precisely which AGM batteries did you get from O'Reilly's?
Old 05-20-2021, 07:48 AM   #14

Donna,

The part number on their site is AGMGC2.

When you are on their site, do a search for GC2 (golf cart). It brings up a few including this AGM. The price is shown as $201.99. I paid $169.99 plus tax.

If I knew how to insert a link, I would.

The amp/hours are rated at 190. There are more expensive batteries with slightly higher amp/hour ratings, but they are from sellers that don't have stores all over the country.

Bill
Old 05-20-2021, 08:03 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Donna,

The part number on their site is AGMGC2.

When you are on their site, do a search for GC2 (golf cart). It brings up a few including this AGM. The price is shown as $201.99. I paid $169.99 plus tax.
This one?
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Old 05-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #16

That's the one. I haven't gone camping since getting them a few days ago, but fingers crossed.

If you get them, let me know and I'll try to find the instructions for setting the converter/charger to AGM.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
That's the one. I haven't gone camping since getting them a few days ago, but fingers crossed.

If you get them, let me know and I'll try to find the instructions for setting the converter/charger to AGM.
Well, you got me thinking about it. The Interstate direct replacement wet cell are $164. IF I can get AGMs close to that price...
And yes, I'd appreciate the instructions for setting the converter/charger to AGM too
Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #18

I have a Go Power unit mounted about 10 inches above the floor in the dinette passenger side. It has two yellow buttons labelled A and B:

Set the Battery Type/Charging profile by holding down the B button for 5 seconds. When the display shows a single digit number, release the B button. Set the battery type by toggling through the Charging Profile numbers 1,2, or 3 by pressing the B button. Confirm the Battery Type/Charging Profile selection by pressing the A button.

Done

Standard is 1.
You want 2, for AGM
Old 05-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #19

I am trying to attach my receipt for AGMGC2
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AGMGC2.pdf (159.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #20
Site Team

Thanks Bill!

Question, how soon after the new batteries are hooked up, does the change need to made on the converter/charger? AND is this done while the solar panel is still covered?