Charger? Victron vs Progressive Dynamics vs ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2023, 10:29 AM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Charger? Victron vs Progressive Dynamics vs ?

Trying to decide between the Progressive Dynamics 45 amp charger or a Victron Blue Smart IP 22, 30 amp charger. I'm more interested in balancing the batteries than max charging rate. There will be a minimim of 400 watts on the roof.

Victron Blue Smart IP 22
Pros
  • Bluetooth
  • Works with any battery (flooded, AGM, SiO2, LiFePO4)
  • Works with my other Victron equipment
Cons
  • Only 30 amp
  • Slightly larger footprint
Progressive Dynamics 45 amp charger
Pros
  • Exact replacement for existing PD charger
  • 45 amp
Cons
  • Only for LiFePO4
  • Not programmable
Is there another stand alone I should consider?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 01-04-2023, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Victron Blue Smart IP 22
Pros
  • Bluetooth
  • Works with my other Victron equipment
Given max charging rate is not a priority ^that^ would probably tip the scale for me - I find the relatively consistent style of the Victron system Bluetooth interfaces and the info they provide helpful as a user, even if only used for occasional status checking / troubleshooting.

Congrats on your Bigfoot, wishing you continued good health and fun with your travels!
Old 01-11-2023, 10:21 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I’ve ordered the Victron 30a Blue Smart charger.

Since my original post, after talking to Progressive Dynamics, if I purchased PD’s Charge Wizard ($15) the existing Progressive Dynamics 6245 charger that came with the camper would charge the two SOK 100 ah batteries to 80-90%, but not balance the cells. This winter I’ll use the Victron charger to initially get the batteries to 100%, but then disconnect till I get home and use the PD charger for the rare times we’re in full hookup sites.

Our new Bigfoot has 160 watts on the roof, with a GoPower controller identical to the one installed by ETI when we purchased our 5.0. We also have our Renogy 100 watt portable and the matching Victron 100/20 controller with a SAE port that will be installed when we get to Gilbert Ray Campground near Tucson. I doubt that’s enough solar to balance the cells though. At least 400 watts will be added to the roof this summer.

Electrically, the Bigfoot is basically the same as our 5.0, but with a larger 12,160 btu furnace vs 9,120 btu in our 5.0. It uses 3.5 amp an hour same as 5.0’s Atwood. Don’t complain about the noise from the smaller Atwood furnace Escape installs! This furnace is quite loud, but a low, earthy loud.

Since we mainly boondock we want those 200 ah batteries full when we leave full hookup sites. We’re expecting the existing solar to try to keep up, but losing 5-15 ah’s a day when boondock. We currently have no inverter, but one will be added this summer (2023). In 2021 I thought I was done with camper projects.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
And, if your alternator has enough available output and your battery can accept more current you can parallel as many Victron 30A chargers as you need.