Check your brake wires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2023, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Check your brake wires

Doing an inspection before our last trip I found the two rear axle break wires pulled loose. They were clamped to the frame just above were they entered the brakes. So when the torsion axle went down it pulled the cheap crimp connector apart. We added some wire length and routed it up to the pivot point so the length wouldn’t change when the torsion axle flexed. Also replaced the cheap crimps with dual wall heat shrink/gluing style.
I suspect they had pulled apart shortly after we picked up the 5.0 last summer. I initially adjusted the brake gain but had to turn it down the second day - likely because all the electric was going to two brakes instead of four.
Suggest you check yours.
While I was impressed with most of the fit and finish of the trailer, I found several shoddy wiring issues. Mainly where they ran wires thru walls they added no protection from rubbing. Even the brake and light wires going thru the front fiberglass were unprotected. Short of taking all those wires loose and drilling a bigger hole for a grommet, I squeezed some dicor around them to help instead.
The solar panel pre wire was also rubbing against several sharp edges. Found it when we pulled the fridge out for some mods.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As you can see from the date on my photo this isn't a new issue.

Recently found one broken wire about 3 weeks ago.

First thing to check if you suspect that you're having brake issues.

If it's not already, it should be a stickie.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0245_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
If this was a car, this sort of thing would result in a manufacturer recall. But I guess randomly losing braking power in your trailer is "no big deal" from a safety point of view, so no recall?
hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
If this was a car, this sort of thing would result in a manufacturer recall. But I guess randomly losing braking power in your trailer is "no big deal" from a safety point of view, so no recall?
I have traveled interstate 80 between iowa City iowa and the eastern Indiana border for thousands of miles over the past 37 years. That takes me in proximity of Elkhart several times each year. I regularly count the dually pickups with the company name and the DOT placard on the drivers side as they meet me headed west pulling a new travel trailer or two or three. I also see semi trailer loads of trailer frames equipped with everything but the tires which are sometimes visible, crated up on the truck bed. For years I wrongly assumed all of those frames were boat trailer frames headed for boat dealers. Then I realizes they were also utility trailer frames, farm equipment frames, and yes perhaps a load of frames bound for trailer manufacturers not in Indiana but perhaps as far west as Chilliwack B.C. Now I don’t know that for sure, but I do know that many trailer manufacturers do not build their own frames. And that’s were the problem can begin. Weld up, wiring, axle alignment, all common problems. The solution is better work at the trailer frame level, closer inspection at the facility where the final disposition of the frame is achieved.
An understanding of the dynamics of towing, wear, vibration and even normal “abuse” need to be considered. Quality control especially as it relates to safety for the end user should be job one. Your opinion my differ, the way I see it the buck stops on the sales lot but the liability for poor craftsmanship should carry on and be an expected part of doing business.
YMMV as “Donna D” so correctly observes.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-07-2023, 07:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 E21C
"the liability for poor craftsmanship should carry on and be an expected part of doing business."

Can you say more? I'm not sure what you mean?

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I never had an issue with the brakes on my 19, but a couple pulled loose on my 5.0TA. I just took the 30 minutes necessary to use some good connectors and add some cable ties to the wires to hold them snuggly in place. I do also check once in a while too.

It is not just this potential issue, but check all bolts and screws on your trailer once in a while. I usually do this every spring after de-winterizing. These trailers do a lot more shakin' when on the road than the tow vehicle does.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
"the liability for poor craftsmanship should carry on and be an expected part of doing business."

Can you say more? I'm not sure what you mean?

John
I was agreeing with a previous poster that when a manufacturing problem is detected within a reasonable time after delivery, a recall should be the course of action in my opinion. When Reace learned of frame cracks on the 19, he provided a repair kit and either paid for its weld up installation or welded the plates in place at the Chilliwack factory. That’s follow up.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-07-2023, 08:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Thank you for the clarification Iowa Dave. I agree.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My old 21 had a broken brake wire discovered during wheel bearing service.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 5.0
I agree Escape likely buys the frames, perhaps with the axles attached. But who does the wiring for lights and brakes? Who knows, but a lawsuit would likely fall in Escape’s lap if a post-accident inspection showed faulty wiring.
I just hope no one gets hurt due to the issue.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Unfortunately I’d have to say check all your wiring connections you come across.
It has to be difficult for companies to find competent help nowadays, so many with too many hours on video games maybe.
I have a little knowledge of a bit of this and that, I wouldn’t want to in a position where I didn’t have this ability to do my own repairs. That is with the info from here-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7662.jpg   IMG_7604.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:05 AM   #12

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
I've done a complet change of my brake and found ou that Escape did a Wonderfull job in the connection of the brake. They use crimp connection with an and incorporate shrink tube. But at some place the shrink was damage. The worst connection is to the the ground and the trailer with a regular crimp connection that corrode.

It can't be much better....
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote