City Water hook-up - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 - Escape 19
City Water hook-up

Here with another newbie question - this time on city water hook-up.

1st time at a camp site with water hook-up. Connected regulator, filter, then hose to Escape 19. If I remember the ETI video, the plumbing on the RV will “automatically” accept the city water over the pump (which is off). No water from faucets… if I turn pump on, normal water pressure.

Plenty of water from hose when disconnected. What am I missing? Do I need to manually switch a valve somewhere? Maybe bypass the pump?

My site/area has very limited internet, can’t access ETI videos an owners manual says nothing except “connect city water…open faucets …”

Any help would be appreciated. Again, steep learning curve…
tsdanforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Well I am new myself.

But there may be a by pass under the table seat that isolates the Hot water tank. Look for two valves near hot water tank inside.

But there are others here more in the know.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Sounds like the check valve that switches sources is stuck. I remember a thread about that try a search on the site
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Tsdanforth, your problem is a puzzler.

The way I read your post I'm not sure if the regulator is at the spigot end of the hose or the trailer end. Put the regulator at the spigot end, then the filter, then the hose. If water is coming out of the hose (not blocked by regulator or filter) and going into the trailer fitting then it should be running out of the cold water faucet. If it is not, then can you hear it filling the water heater or filling the fresh water tank? If it isn't going anywhere, then look at the piping inside the trailer to see if there is a valve along the supply line close to where the water comes into the trailer. I don't know if some trailers have valves that need to be opened. Maybe yours does.

If you don't find any valve between the water inlet and where the supply line connects to the hot and cold lines, then it could be a defective check valve at the water inlet. It would be rare. I hope you find a simple fix.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:21 AM   #5

Fixed!

I think that the issue might have been a sticky check valve or might simply been a kink in the inlet hose. I disconnected everything this morning, reconnected all but unwound the hose to remove all bends/kinks. All is working now.

Pressure does seem very low, even before the regulator and filter. Think I should invest in a regulator with a gauge if there is such a thing…
Old 08-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdanforth View Post
I think that the issue might have been a sticky check valve or might simply been a kink in the inlet hose. I disconnected everything this morning, reconnected all but unwound the hose to remove all bends/kinks. All is working now.

Pressure does seem very low, even before the regulator and filter. Think I should invest in a regulator with a gauge if there is such a thing…
Most regulators are set to be in the 40 to 50 psi range. And yes, there are regulators with gauges. You do not want more than 50 psi or so anyway. It is possible for regulators to go “bad” and fail to pass water at any pressure. There are also adjustable regulators with gauges. But if pressure is low at the spigot/hose bib, it is what it is.

There are two check valves in the Escape. One is at the city water inlet to keep water from gushing out when you are running on the fresh water tank and 12v pump. The other is in the 12v pump to keep city water from flowing into your fresh water tank which if it happens, will overflow onto the ground outside.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here you go...........https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressur.../dp/B000EDQQD8
Attached Thumbnails
81ogLcl-rBS._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
Old 08-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #8

Thanks!!
Old 08-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The unit which Jim showed is great for troubleshooting, since it shows you the regulated water pressure. There are also adjustable regulators with gauges (from Valterra, Camco, and probably others), so you can set the pressure that you want. The gauges on the adjustable units show actual pressure (rather than just low or high).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote