Cleaning the interior of our fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Cleaning the interior of our fan

Has anyone found an easy way to clean the interior gunk off of the fan? We have a 2015 19' and I can no longer look at the dirty mess. I cannot get the fan blades off to allow for easy cleaning and trying to clean the inside of the lid while pushing cleaning tools up between the blades has taxed my patience.
I will appreciate any helpful suggestions! The manual doesn't discuss maintenance or cleaning.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
It's just a hex screw holding the blade on the motor. Maybe you can't see it due to the dirt buildup.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Easy removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
It's just a hex screw holding the blade on the motor. Maybe you can't see it due to the dirt buildup.
Having repaired my fan this Spring, yes, it is an easy fan blade removal with unfastening 1 hex screw and pulling the blade off. That opens up more of the area for additional cleaning. You just need a small and the proper size Allen head (hex) "wrench", commonly available. Trailer is in storage now, I don't know the screw size, but it's a small hex screw.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Yes, we have the hex wrench...but the blade is apparently stuck too tightly on the shaft. We shall have to pry it off as it appears dirt and time (7years) have made this simple project a bit more challenging.
Thank you all for your suggestions...it really helps to communicate with other Escape owners:-)
Old 06-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #5

Try this?

Try spraying some silicone lubricant into the fan/motor shaft interface. A little bit of lubrication can often do surprising wonders.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 E19'
It’s a fairly small size set screw, so the wrench might bend a bit. Seems to work well to get a long version wrench and give it an initial “snap” with your wrist to help break the screw loose. We tend to pull the fan blades off after long SW trips and clean out the red Utah dust. Loosening the screw once in a while helps keep it a good loosening mood.
Great Eggstrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
And a good place for a little shot of never seize upon reassembly. I like the long handled Allen wrenches with a T handle,
Try to make it tighter then a quick reverse of direction as noted. There are pullers but little ones like that would need are not common in my world.
Have you lubed the shaft above the blades with a penetrating fluid and left it over night?
Iowa Dave
Old 06-18-2022, 04:59 PM   #8

Warning!

I wouldn't just try to pry the fan blade off. That could easily bust something, and make a cleaning project a repair or replacement project. The advice above is worth trying first. If the set screw is set, you won't be able to pry the fan blade.

Good luck