CO Detector Wierdness - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
CO Detector Wierdness

In the last couple of days the CO detector in our 19 has started to act wierd. The LP alarm goes off for no apparent reason. I've checked and rechecked the LP system and can find nothing wrong. The unit is just over the replacement date, purchased April 28, 2011. Could the problem be due to the age of the unit or something more haywire?

We're in Site 87 at the rally if anyone would like to share suggestions or experiences.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When I was googling this, one article listed things that can set off detectors other than propane. "Hair spray, febreze, carpet cleaners, cooking sprays, and dog or human farts." Everyone that has a detector alarm that is going off probably needs to claim the dog was inside the trailer every time it happens.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Those detectors are certainly limited-life items. I would replace it before putting much effort into looking for other possible causes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Those detectors are certainly limited-life items. I would replace it before putting much effort into looking for other possible causes.
I agree. The thing wouldn't stop beeping so I disconnected it and will try and find a replacement. May have to wait until we get back home. I hope the next one is the same size as the original.

Doug
Old 05-27-2016, 03:21 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
I agree. The thing wouldn't stop beeping so I disconnected it and will try and find a replacement. May have to wait until we get back home. I hope the next one is the same size as the original.

Doug
Just an FYI. Due to having my own detector problems right now I had checked the manufacturers web site and saw they had 3 models. Two of which are surface mount. The 30 series, which is what Escape has in my trailer, and a bigger 40 series. Not seeing a difference in the write ups I called them, the difference is only in the size. One is square and one is rectangle, the square being $20 more!!!

Here's the one I have. Robot Check
Old 05-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
We've had the same problems. They were intermittent but very frustrating. Two days ago after not being able to shut off the unit no matter how much fresh air I directed at it, I just cut the wires and ordered a replacement from Amazon.

One concern is that after cutting the wires, I lost 12V to a number of lights and outlets. I hope I just interrupted the circuit, but maybe I blew a fuse. I haven't checked yet.

Here's to hoping that I just had a malfunctioning or over sensitive CO detector and that the new one will play nice!
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We had one fail in our Rialta, it would just decide to beep at odd times and for no discernible reason. The good thing is that they are reasonably priced and replacement is easy, but I think that either their design or quality is questionable.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
One concern is that after cutting the wires, I lost 12V to a number of lights and outlets. I hope I just interrupted the circuit, but maybe I blew a fuse. I haven't checked yet.
Just off the top of my head but cutting the wires to the CO detector shouldn't interrupt power to other devices. There're not wired in series. Maybe you did blow a fuse if you snipped both wires at the same time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
So I'm able to report that I had a similar problem in the our 21.

I ordered a replacement, decided to change the color:
Amazon.com: MTI Industries 35742BL 12V CO/LP Gas Alarm: Automotive

and as this is a task that will be repeated every few years I changed the connectors to spade for easy replacement in the future:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:58 AM   #10

Interesting. My 15B was picked up just a month after the OP's unit, and the CO/ propane detector has started sounding...and being silenced, but neither have I been using it or I would have found a solution. It is almost a year past "end of life" so am expecting it to be replaced when I take my trailer in for a couple of other minor issues. Mrs Fixit I am not.

The learning curve of owning a trailer is long and steep and I think Reace rolls his eyes and takes a deep breath when I arrive, and I do intend to write a piece about all my lessons and misadventures to give hope to those who wonder WTH they have gotten into. I do love it though.
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Man, when I started reading this thread yesterday I'd never had a problem with my detector. Then last night, here at the rainy BC Eggs rally , ours went off with a deafening blast. Undid a spade connector to shut it off. Had installed them when re-positioned the unit. We are hooked up to shore power and not using any propane.

So, with the pouring rain and no boccie ball playing I actually read the detector info. Imagine my surprise to learn that it's supposed to be vacuumed and wiped clean etc. and that it has a 5 year life span and that it has an EOL signal that's different from an alarm signal. And also, it's a propane detector and not a CO detector (or any other gas).

So when we get home I'll vacuum the sensor and we'll see if it goes off again. Working OK for now. Oh, and now that I've read how the mute button works I won't have to disconnect the power.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Man, when I started reading this thread yesterday I'd never had a problem with my detector. Then last night, here at the rainy BC Eggs rally , ours went off with a deafening blast. Undid a spade connector to shut it off. Had installed them when re-positioned the unit. We are hooked up to shore power and not using any propane.

So, with the pouring rain and no boccie ball playing I actually read the detector info. Imagine my surprise to learn that it's supposed to be vacuumed and wiped clean etc. and that it has a 5 year life span and that it has an EOL signal that's different from an alarm signal. And also, it's a propane detector and not a CO detector (or any other gas).

So when we get home I'll vacuum the sensor and we'll see if it goes off again. Working OK for now. Oh, and now that I've read how the mute button works I won't have to disconnect the power.

Ron
Guess I should read up on the detector too . Thanks Ron for the head's up . Will later give you update on my other problem . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good info Ron. Might be beneficial to order a Propane/CO detector to replace it when time comes.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #14

To continue the story, I went to the local RV store here in Osoyoos to get a new detector. They had about 6 different kinds but none like ours on the shelf. We have the Safe T Alert flush mount CO/LP version, Model 35-742. The one they had was the wall mount version Model 35-741. I asked the store person if they had the 742 and was told they have been discontinued. She did show a flush mount unit but it was LP only. So, needing a replacement I purchased the 741. When I got it back to the trailer I found out the screw pattern was 1/2 inch narrower than the Model 742. BALLS!! Frustrated, I contacted the manufacturer and was told they still DO make the Model 742. And, she gave me a warranty authorization number and told me that when we get home, send the Model 741 unit back to them and they will send me a brand new model 742. How cool is that ! So for now, we have the 741 jury rigged to the furnace cover. WHEW!

Doug
Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21
Last summer, our detector was going off nearly every day. I think in part it was due to the midwest summer humidity. So we would leave windows open and try to keep air moving, but it was so frustrating to hear it go off so frequently. We had it replaced in February of this year and thought the problem was solved. However, last week the new one started beeping, too! Big sigh! I'm tempted to unhook it to avoid the constant beeping...
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 19'
Sounds like many people have this problem. Ours went off in the middle of the night for no reason at a deafening blast and we finally had to cut the wire powering it. It was 6 years old so guess it's an "end-of-life" thing and will look at a replacement. Thanks for the tips!
BajaZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm wondering how many owners have kept the instruction manuals ( eg. the propane detector ) that came with the trailer?
I bought a binder with plastic sleeves and everything I received from ETI went into that binder.
I also have a hardbound notebook where I've entered maintenance data and info such as bearing #s; best campsites and weather etc.

Note to moderators: the title on this thread could be misleading. CO is carbon monoxide. The propane detector in my Escape does not detect CO.