coax cable hookup issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
coax cable hookup issues

Hello,

I am trying to figure out where my external coax input (on my 5.0TA located below the external water quick-connect on the back side of the trailer). I cannot figure out where that connection connects to inside of the trailer. So far I have only found one coax jack inside the trailer behind the tv by the bed. I have a King brand tv signal amplifier installed and the jack plate is labeled King as well.

I hooked up my coax tester to the outside tried several different combinations but the only result I get is "FAULT-OPEN" ... On the inside of the King jack plate there is are multiple jacks labeled:

Antenna - Set 2
Cable

in that orientation.

Added pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/Xv0NPTa

Any ideas / help very appreciated! Gracias!

Sean
mbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Both the coax from the outside connector and the coax from the rooftop antenna connect to the back of the wall plate. When the power button on the wall plate is on, the connector on the front of the wall plate connects to the rooftop antenna. When the power is off, it connects to the outside cable connector. So when you have cable connected to the outside connector, make sure the wall plate power button is turned off and you should be getting cable to the coax connector on the front of the wall plate and then to your TV.

Here's a link to the King Jack manual if you don't have the one that came with your trailer: https://kingconnect.com/content/Prod...8OA8400%29.pdf
Old 09-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply, David... I will give that a shot tomorrow and see if I’m able to get it to work and post the results back here. I thought it worked the way you described but I could’ve sworn I tried it with the amplifier turned off without a resulting connection.. but I do have a talent for making mistakes so hopefully this is one. : )
Old 09-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
On my 5.0TA, when connected to cable systems (not using the Jack antenna), my wife complained that the lower cable channels (typically, the network feeds: CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.) either didn’t come in or were snowy. I ended up running a new CoAx cable to a separate plate which I mounted on the cabinet next to the door and the stairs. I used that location because I knew she wanted a portable satellite dish and the top of the cabinet seemingly was the best spot for a satellite receiver. But it cleared up the problems with the lower cable channels.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
On my 5.0TA, when connected to cable systems (not using the Jack antenna), my wife complained that the lower cable channels (typically, the network feeds: CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.) either didn’t come in or were snowy. I ended up running a new CoAx cable to a separate plate which I mounted on the cabinet next to the door and the stairs. I used that location because I knew she wanted a portable satellite dish and the top of the cabinet seemingly was the best spot for a satellite receiver. But it cleared up the problems with the lower cable channels.
That's a really interesting problem! I'm not sure if it's related to what I discovered but here it is...

As David correctly pointed out, the 2 cables in the back of the King jack plate inside run to the outside sat/cable hookup and the powered antenna hookup respectively... What I've discovered is that, if I plug my Klein Coax Explorer directly into the coax behind the port, it detects the circuit, but if I plug it into the TV1 Jack on the outside of King jack plate (where your normal TV plugs into) with the amplifier turned OFF or ON, it does not detect a circuit to the outside cable connection, which leads me to believe the King circuit board interferes somehow with my little Coax Explorer tool. I don't have a cable TV connection nearby to test out to see if TV channels actually get through, but that would be interesting to see.

My hidden motivation was actually to connect a cable modem / Wi-Fi router inside of the Escape to hook it up to an internet connection at it's current location through said outside cable/sat jack, but I think I'm going to just leave it in a weatherpoof plastic enclosure and not bother with the jumble of cables and whatever untold effects from the radiation I'd be picking up sleeping 2 feet away from a Wi-Fi router. : )

Thank y'all both for your help.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I also have noticed poor analog cable reception from the outside cable hookup, just like C&G. I have the Escape Jack antenna option, too, and have 2 TV outlets. Jack antenna reception is fine. I normally use the Jack antenna, not campground cable, so not an issue for me. I have assumed it is signal loss across coax connections, but have not bothered to check the coax wiring.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote