cold weather advice needed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
cold weather advice needed

First let me apologize to those who are really in cold weather.

Here in South Carolina, six overnights of sub-freezing lows (as low as 25 a couple nights with daytimes 40-50) are being expected and we're not sure how to deal with it. After leaving MA before Christmas, we ran dry while in sub-freezing nights until a week ago when we finally hooked up to water. Running hot water and a flushing toilet are camping luxuries that we had missed.

We'll use the Ecoseb and a small electric heater to keep the cabin at 55 or higher. Will having the water heater on and allowing a continuous slow flow of water keep our plumbing safe and keep the intake hose from freezing or should we disconnect the hose and blow out the system? Should we put antifreeze in the waste tanks? Should we disconnect the sewer hose? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you have the foam underneath in theory you should be okay as long as it warms up during the days as you mention.

Without foam it'd be more of a crap shoot. Do what you say and hope for the best or dry camp, again.

I've had campgrounds tell us we had to disconnect the hose at night when it got below 32, I did such but left the hose out. It was frozen in the am. leaving it drip is supposed to work, but I've not tried it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with antifreeze at those temps, in the tanks or plumbing. I would however blowout the lines if dry camping.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Next time get a heated water supply hose and then your worries are over.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #4

We do have the foam underneath. In a one-night cold snap a few years ago, we had the hose freeze, which cause the campground faucet to freeze. Maybe we'll try staying connected and dripping on the 30+ nights and disconnect and drain the hose on the colder nights while leaving water in the system.

Thanks for your quick response,

David
Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
As a soon to be proud owner of a 21' and a newbie I am now confused. I read in recent threads (within the last month or two) that systems should be ok when lows are in the mid to upper twentys as long as daytime temps reach forty or fifty and the tt is heated.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
David I would simple disconnect the outside water hose at night and during freezing temperatures. Leave some cupboards open so heat gets to the interior water lines and not worry about it, we have camped in freezing conditions with both or 19 and 5.0TA doing this.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Our experience has been the same as above, these temps present no issue except the hose bib. Hey, if you forget to unhook the hose that’s what the wife’s hair dryer is for, and there is usually power right by the hose bib.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
David I would simple disconnect the outside water hose at night and during freezing temperatures. Leave some cupboards open so heat gets to the interior water lines and not worry about it, we have camped in freezing conditions with both or 19 and 5.0TA doing this.

Cheers
Doug
If you disconnect the hose, drain the water out so that it does not freeze and can be used again the next morning if required (without thawing it out first). If your freshwater tank is full, you would not require water services for several days anyway. Also, we have had the dump valve for the black tank freeze shut in cold weather, preventing us from dumping the black tanks until the weather warmed up a few degrees.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
As a soon to be proud owner of a 21' and a newbie I am now confused. I read in recent threads (within the last month or two) that systems should be ok when lows are in the mid to upper twentys as long as daytime temps reach forty or fifty and the tt is heated.
That's pretty much what we are all saying, if you have the foam insulation underneath.

Without the foam, you may be okay too, maybe. The little hose that runs from the fresh tank up into the body is just hanging out there, at least on mine it is.

Guess there's also a chance the gates may freeze. I had one crack last winter but I don't know if it was from freezing or me hitting something.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Agreed. Just disconnect the hose. 25F overnight lows with days well above freezing is nothing to worry about. Keep the trailer heated. Sustained cold is when you'll have issues.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
If your freshwater tank is full, you would not require water services for several days anyway.
Yep, this. The only potential problem here is the hose. No issues with the camper plumbing in those temperatures. I would just use your fresh tank, and fill it up as needed during your stay.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That's pretty much what we are all saying, if you have the foam insulation underneath.

Without the foam, you may be okay too, maybe. The little hose that runs from the fresh tank up into the body is just hanging out there, at least on mine it is.

Guess there's also a chance the gates may freeze. I had one crack last winter but I don't know if it was from freezing or me hitting something.
Bob I know this is not an exact science but is this accurate? Just thinking out loud...

The freshwater tank and supply hose up to the pump is a non-issue on all models if the city water hose is disconnected late and no water is needed overnight (fresh tank and hose empty). Drain city water hose and reconnect to hose bib in the morning after temps are back up a bit. If you have the underfloor insulation you could put some water in the tank and be fine as well and still have water to use. If you have the tank heating pads the tank would be safe to even lower temperatures, but as I understand it you need to be plugged in because even though they are 12V they will drain the batteries pretty quick. Another important point is that the 19 has no external hot and cold water lines (beyond the tank suction line), but I believe the 5.0TA and 21 do (these exit the shell, traverse the bottom, and then reenter the trailer). If you do not have the underfloor insulation these pipes would be exposed directly to outside air whether running off the city water or your freshwater tank and would likely be the first to freeze. Unlikely the gates will freeze unless the low temperatures are sustained for a while. If the daytime temperatures are a good bit above freezing then all should be well. One could always put a bit of RV antifreeze into the gray and black tanks for good measure if they are worried.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Bob I know this is not an exact science but is this accurate? Just thinking out loud...

The freshwater tank and supply hose up to the pump is a non-issue on all models if the city water hose is disconnected late and no water is needed overnight (fresh tank and hose empty). Drain city water hose and reconnect to hose bib in the morning after temps are back up a bit. If you have the underfloor insulation you could put some water in the tank and be fine as well and still have water to use. If you have the tank heating pads the tank would be safe to even lower temperatures, but as I understand it you need to be plugged in because even though they are 12V they will drain the batteries pretty quick. Another important point is that the 19 has no external hot and cold water lines (beyond the tank suction line), but I believe the 5.0TA and 21 do (these exit the shell, traverse the bottom, and then reenter the trailer). If you do not have the underfloor insulation these pipes would be exposed directly to outside air whether running off the city water or your freshwater tank and would likely be the first to freeze. Unlikely the gates will freeze unless the low temperatures are sustained for a while. If the daytime temperatures are a good bit above freezing then all should be well. One could always put a bit of RV antifreeze into the gray and black tanks for good measure if they are worried.
Sounds right to me. I forgot about the 2 cross lines to the kitchen sink, in mine are about even with the shower drain (see image). They would also be in danger if it gets below freezing for long in an unfoamed trailer. I guess you could consider leaving the kitchen faucet dripping both hot and cold. No idea how long at a drip it would take to fill the grey tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Lines2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
We do have the foam underneath. In a one-night cold snap a few years ago, we had the hose freeze, which cause the campground faucet to freeze. Maybe we'll try staying connected and dripping on the 30+ nights and disconnect and drain the hose on the colder nights while leaving water in the system.

Thanks for your quick response,

David
Filll your fresh water tank, located in the heated space rather than risking a freeze up with city water. Next, keep cabinet doors enclosing fresh water lines opened at night. Dump a little anti freeze in the gray and black tank and don't try do dump until it is above freezing.
This advice coming from you in balmy northen Idaho.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Filll your fresh water tank, located in the heated space rather than risking a freeze up with city water.
Yardsale does your 17 have an internal fresh water tank? Most Escapes have a belly tank that is exposed outside. Maybe you are suggesting that if you have have the bottom foam then the tank is in the heated space?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for your advice.

David
Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 19' Travel Trailer
We have a foam underneath, don’t have water hookup issue but am more concerned about tank components. We are traveling and got caught in cold snowy weather- like temps down to 8 degrees tonight. We keep doors under bed open but worried about tanks underneath..I thought about draining all tanks and water out...?? Any thoughts or recommendations?
Bob
Ranotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
A few weeks ago we camped in temperatures that dipped to 19F overnight. The valve on the grey water tank froze and I had to pour hot water over it before we could dump that morning. I managed to break the grey valve handle by pulling too hard - and my sweet wife hasn't let me forget that. Since then I add a half gallon of RV antifreeze to each tank when expecting temperatures that low. Remarkable how a wife can stimulate the memory cells.

--
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 19' Travel Trailer
Thanks Alan... but don’t have access to antifreeze tonight... we’ll see how it works out but I won’t pull on handles for sure.
Ranotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Last year I camped in temps that dipped just below freezing overnight. I had left the entire water hookup connected. In the morning, no water. The inline water filter had iced up. I removed the filter, the rest of the hookup was OK.

If you are using a water filter, take it off the night before so you have running water in the morning.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote