Coleman Mach 10 NDQ air conditioner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Coleman Mach 10 NDQ air conditioner

Our 19 is entering production next week and it's down to crunch time. Samuel called to let me know that the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ with soft start will probably not be available as anticipated. Samuel told me that he thought the soft start version (which is not available) would be required to run it on our Honda 2200i small generator. Our options would be to install the non "soft start" Coleman model or the Dometic. There are "aftermarket" soft start options available, but Samuel was told by their distributor that might cause problems for the Coleman compressor . . . , reducing compressor life expectancy. Does anyone have any experience with these aftermarket products, or does someone with electrical or systems experience have an opinion? As an inexperienced person with these systems, I can't imagine why these soft starts would work well with some compressors, but not others.

Additionally, some folks have suggested that the Honda would run the regular NDQ without the soft start. The running amperage for the standard NDQ, non soft start is lower than many smaller ac units, so unless there is a really huge start up demand for power, then maybe my generator would run the AC regardless of the soft start.

Two questions:
1. Has anyone here added an aftermarket (like the MicroAir) east start capacitor to a Coleman Mach 10

2. Has anyone run a 13,500 btu AC (without any soft start) with a small Honda 2200i

TIA
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
1. No, but microair has great installation instructions. Link below.

2. I have a Dometic Cool Cat Heat Pump which I believe is rated ~11000 BTU. I installed the soft start. The hardest part was getting to the heat pump as it is in an inconvenient location. I am able to use my Honda 2200 to run the heat pump. I realize that this isn't 13500 BTU, but I doubt that the running amps of the Coleman are much higher. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another microair unit but for the price.

EasyStart RV Brand Specific Wiring Diagrams - Micro-Air, Inc.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
1. No, but microair has great installation instructions. Link below.

2. I have a Dometic Cool Cat Heat Pump which I believe is rated ~11000 BTU. I installed the soft start. The hardest part was getting to the heat pump as it is in an inconvenient location. I am able to use my Honda 2200 to run the heat pump. I realize that this isn't 13500 BTU, but I doubt that the running amps of the Coleman are much higher. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another microair unit but for the price.

EasyStart RV Brand Specific Wiring Diagrams - Micro-Air, Inc.
Did you ever try to run the Dometic Cool Cat with the Honda without the MicroAir?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #4

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
Did you ever try to run the Dometic Cool Cat with the Honda without the MicroAir?
No. Reading through their Coleman Mach installation instructions, they state that the specific soft start model will accommodate up to a 15000 BTU unit (which I think would be the Mach 15?). The Cool Cat is a beast & I didn't even try to start it off the generator without the soft start. Starting amps can be several times higher than running amps & I would not rely on using a generator without mitigating the starting current flow requirements.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
We are a few weeks behind you. We too heard about the supply issues around Coleman. Also, that there is a possibility that Coleman unit might be in a black shroud - a sharp visible contrast. I just don't know how visible the rooftop AC unit is.

I also learned that Coleman adds 1" to the height of the trailer - raising the Escape 5.0 to 9’3 ½” at its highest point. Is this something that should concern us a lot?

We need to decide whether to proceed with Coleman (with possibility of supply issues or black external unit). For us, the AC has been a marginal inclusion. So, I am going to look at threads on alternatives.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #6

Mach 10 with slow start

OP here. . . There is so much conflicting info. Some opinions suggest that my Honda will run the Mach10 without the need for a slow (Easy) start system. But in the the FWIW column, I think I’ve found a Mach10 unit with the slow start feature at an RV dealer. If I can really get that delivered, I think that’s what we’d do. Obviously we would have that installed locally since we can’t ship it to Escape.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 21NE
We did a post delivery install of a different unit. Easy job for the techs, cost us a couple hundred dollars. Well worth it to have the unit that we wanted instead of what was available from ETI
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:28 AM   #8

Thank you, tacchino!
Old 02-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #9

OP here again. I was able to find a Mach 10 NDQ with soft start at a RV supplier in South Carolina. It's being shipped to me and I'll have a local shop do the install. It will end up a few bucks more than the cost through Escape, but we decided it was worth it to get the soft start model.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
We did a post delivery install of a different unit. Easy job for the techs, cost us a couple hundred dollars. Well worth it to have the unit that we wanted instead of what was available from ETI
What make and model did you choose?

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
What make and model did you choose?
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

Discount code "RVWITHTITO" got us a little bit of a discount
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

Discount code "RVWITHTITO" got us a little bit of a discount
This is what we plan to get. We don't have our camper yet, so no point ordering already... I noticed that it is available in lower capacity 9.5K as well, but that does not have the heat pump feature. I assume the heat pump is useful to have...
Old 02-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #13

Trailer: Considering a Fiberglass Egg
Yeah, I was looking at the 9.5 as well. Since the trailers have a separate propane furnace anyway, I don’t think the heat pump is necessary- unless I’m missing something.
Also, I think the lower capacity better matches the volume in the 21 (and 17s and 19). Helping lessen the short cycling issues. Right?
But would love to hear from others more knowledgeable
MZL1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #14

Thank you! My thought was that 9.5K is perhaps a better fit for 5.0 from a size standpoint. I do, however, think that the heat pump might be helpful. I have seen threads where people carry a propane (CO concerns) or electric heater as a backup to furnace in shoulder season. If the heat pump with the larger 13.5K Houghton AC provides an adequate backup to the AC, the functionality can eliminate the need to carry a backup heater.

I understand that the heat pump efficiency below ambient temperature of 38-40F drops. So, it is a less than full backup for the furnace. But, more efficient at higher temperatures, provided one has access to electricity. Also, the warm air from it is delivered near the roof, so not ideal. But, perhaps with slightly elevated bed in 5.0, it would work.

That said, I am hoping for some knowledgeable advice. My own experience is somewhere between zero to none...
Old 02-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having grown up using heat pumps, which I renamed cool heat. They never seem to quite make it feel as warm as sitting around a campfire......
Old 02-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #16

Thanks, Jim! I too think that heat pump with the AC is less than completely satisfying answer. The choice we face for our Escape 5 seems to be - 9.5K AC only or 13.5K AC+heat pump.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thanks, Jim! I too think that heat pump with the AC is less than completely satisfying answer. The choice we face for our Escape 5 seems to be - 9.5K AC only or 13.5K AC+heat pump.
If it were me, I'd go with the 9.5 unit, otherwise the larger unit will freeze you before cooling you.......
Old 02-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #18

Thanks! I will try for the 9.5 kW unit. We are a bit away from all this. Finalizing our build this week (Feb 19th is the deadline). We were going to get the Coleman AC (13.5K). You had warned about that as well but we were thinking that it being installed by ETI saves some headache. Now there seem to be supply problems with Coleman. It led me to research the alternatives and appreciate the noise issue. So, we are dropping Coleman/ETI AC option.

The latest plan is to have someone install the Houghton unit after we pick up the camper. They (recpro) are showing the 9.5K AC to be out of stock now, but we will be buying it in the Summer when we have the camper. So, hopefully those issues will be resolved.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0ta
Just a thought, but if you could up the generator to a Honda eu3000is generator it would solve all of your problems. Admittedly the issue is where to store it?
I made a way of carrying it, and it was a task. But I would settle for nothing less than the 3000, it is quieter, possibly the quietest in the world? It has a much, much larger fuel tank and I never worry about running AC and microwave etc at same time.
Aside from the storage issue the extra cost of the 3000 would probably be offset by the cost of a soft-start and related electrical work.
But to be honest, my solution to storing it was a real pain and probably not feasible for many.
Dave58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #20

Dave - We are covered on that front! We have a 7.2kW generator built into our 2021 F150.