Combining "new" 160W solar with "old" 95W? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Zardoz, a simple way to incorporate the new 160 watt panel into the existing system is to connect it in parallel to the existing panel connections on your roof. The reason I suggest this is because you can buy a pair of parallel connectors cheap, plug your existing two cables from the existing panel into those and then plug a pair of short cables into them and run them down to one upper awning mount to tie them off as a connection point. Then bring a pair of 25' cables for connecting to your portable panel and just plug them into the cables and panel. All connections will then be the standard MC4 connectors which are high amperage, waterproof and are easily disconnected with a cheap tool...then you are running everything through the GoPower controller.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
HFT, did you use the existing cable from the original single panel to the controller or replace it with heavier gauge?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
are high amperage, waterproof and are easily disconnected with a cheap tool...
Thanks for the heads up. I only have one pair of MC4 connectors but I'll be adding others. I didn't know about the disconnect tool. Likely saved me some frustration.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
HFT, did you use the existing cable from the original single panel to the controller or replace it with heavier gauge?
I used the original 10 gauge cable. My entire system from the 3 panels to the MorningStar controller is all 10 gauge and the 4 parallel connectors and 4 additional cables are all MC4 type 10 gauge. Heavier gauge is not required.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #25

Quote:
I used the original 10 gauge cable. My entire system from the 3 panels to the MorningStar controller is all 10 gauge and the 4 parallel connectors and 4 additional cables are all MC4 type 10 gauge. Heavier gauge is not required.
Thanks, if I can fit another panel I'll be doing so this spring.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Bob,
I am using that Marinco marine connector or inlet for my portable panel. It has worked very well, an easy install and I have found it capable of handling up to 8 gauge wire. This may not be critical to some but I can be running 75 feet of cable to reach the sun with my portable panel, I wanted as little loss as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Charger Inlet.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #27

Here are some links to the connectors, the tool I mentioned and some short 6 foot MC4 cables:

Amazon.com: RENOGY® Branch Connectors Solar MC4 Connectors Y connector in Pair MMF+FFM: Home Improvement

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com : Solar Panel Cable 6 Ft - Mc4 Pv Extension- 10 AWG - 600vdc- Sunlight Resistant : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Steve
Old 02-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Jon, If you have yet to find a connector, how about one of these? They have them on Amazon as well but the image is not as good.

Marinco 150BBIW.RV White 15 Amp Power Inlet
This is a typical NEMA 5 plug in a housing, which means it connects to ordinary household 15A 120V cords. That means matching connectors are readily available, but it also means there is a danger that someone connects 120V AC power to your low-voltage DC inlet, energizing a circuit at several times the voltage for which it is intended. While many members of forums like this dismiss this hazard, since they are confident they will never mix up connectors on their own trailer, I wouldn't allow the risk on my own trailer.

For significant current at 12V and/or 24V, I think the Marinco ConnectPro series looks good; they are normally used for trolling motors, are sealed by an O-ring when connected, and have a weather cover. Unfortunately, the covered socket is an outlet - not an inlet - so it doesn't suit the purpose of bringing solar panel power into the trailer. If anyone knows of a similar product with a panel-mount inlet, I would be interested.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is a typical NEMA 5 plug in a housing, which means it connects to ordinary household 15A 120V cords. That means matching connectors are readily available, but it also means there is a danger that someone connects 120V AC power to your low-voltage DC inlet, energizing a circuit at several times the voltage for which it is intended. While many members of forums like this dismiss this hazard, since they are confident they will never mix up connectors on their own trailer, I wouldn't allow the risk on my own trailer.

For significant current at 12V and/or 24V, I think the Marinco ConnectPro series looks good; they are normally used for trolling motors, are sealed by an O-ring when connected, and have a weather cover. Unfortunately, the covered socket is an outlet - not an inlet - so it doesn't suit the purpose of bringing solar panel power into the trailer. If anyone knows of a similar product with a panel-mount inlet, I would be interested.
If you have a front box on the trailer why not just buy an MC4 cable, cut it in half and then wire it to the system inside through the bottom of the front storage box and lay the extra cable length inside. When you want solar you open the box, grab the two connector end and plug into your long MC4 cables...no side of trailer connection and no worries about leaks. Keep it all MC4, ...no personally made connections.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If you have a front box on the trailer why not just buy an MC4 cable, cut it in half and then wire it to the system inside through the bottom of the front storage box and lay the extra cable length inside. When you want solar you open the box, grab the two connector end and plug in to you long MC4 cables...no side of trailer connection and no worries about leaks. Keep it all MC4, ...no personally made connections.
This idea makes good sense to me, and can work with other connector styles if you are consistently using a different type and need to solve the inlet/outlet problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #31

Quote:
While many members of forums like this dismiss this hazard, since they are confident they will never mix up connectors on their own trailer, I wouldn't allow the risk on my own trailer.

Unfortunately, the covered socket is an outlet - not an inlet - so it doesn't suit the purpose of bringing solar panel power into the trailer. If anyone knows of a similar product with a panel-mount inlet, I would be interested.
Gotta agree, I could see a possible disaster scenario. You go and park in the driveway of relatives. During the meet and greet you casually mention that you'll need to plug in an extension cord. Shortly after your relative proudly says, I took care of the extension cord, you're all plugged in.

There is a solution for the Marinco situation, order an extra receptacle and use it as a cap to protect the live prongs but I'm thinking that keeping it all MC4 is the way to go.

Thanks HFT, already ordered from China Cheaper and free shipping. The annoying thing about living in Canada is seeing stuff in the US with a price that's OK but either they don't ship to Canada or the shipping doubles the price.

Ron
Old 02-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The annoying thing about living in Canada is seeing stuff in the US with a price that's OK but either they don't ship to Canada or the shipping doubles the price.

Ron
We all assume that if you live up there you gotta be rich!...
Old 02-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I got a small 30 watt portable panel as a gift. It uses Andersen Powerpole SB50 50 amp connectors. They are nice that they can only be plugged in one way, and positive and negative leads are in one connector. I got an extra set from Powerwerx.com.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I got a small 30 watt portable panel as a gift. It uses Andersen Powerpole SB50 50 amp connectors. They are nice that they can only be plugged in one way, and positive and negative leads are in one connector. I got an extra set from Powerwerx.com.
I have a shopping cart loaded with Andersen Powerpole connectors sitting at Powerwerx.com waiting for me to make some final decisions. The perfect solution if you're a do-it-yourselfer with DC projects in mind.

Just an FYI: They come in amperage sizes from 15A to 350A and all the colors of the rainbow.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #35

Quote:

How about using just the ground and the neutral legs of the NEMA 5 connector for your 12 vdc leads? Any idea what would be the result if someone connected it to 115vac? I've been unable to find valid alternatives.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
We all assume that if you live up there you gotta be rich!...
and what do you think we assume about you?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #37

Quote:
How about using just the ground and the neutral legs of the NEMA 5 connector for your 12 vdc leads? Any idea what would be the result if someone connected it to 115vac? I've been unable to find valid alternatives.
Wouldn't the 12 volt positive go to the same ground as the negative resulting in a short? The neutral leg is also a ground.

Ron
Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have to agree with Brian - After seeing the result of my students plugging a theatrical lamp into the janitor's 240V receptacle (our lighting system used the same twist lock connectors as the floor buffer outlets in the theatre's hallways), I'm pretty much opposed to using a connector that "could" be misunderstood. There are just too many "helpers" out there that can make a unintended connection.

As to what I used, I went with a surface mount SAE connector from Solar Sellers (Item E). This matches the connectors that came with the portable panel. While I haven't had a "real world" trial of the bypassed controller with the portable panel, I did try it for a few minutes after I wired it to be sure it worked, and did get an increase when the portable panel was plugged in. Since the batteries were full, no real trial.

As to adding a GoPower 160 watt panel to an existing 95 watt panel system, according to GoPower, it can't be done. The reason is the 95 watt panel has the frame connected to the positive output, while the 160 watt panel has the frame connected to the negative. Since code requires the grounding of the frames, this would cause a problem. Of course, since we have fiberglass trailers, we could get away with not connecting the frames...

I'm going to wait until Spring to decide if I want to add another roof mounted panel (right now the roof is under a cover & far too much snow). I have to make some templates of the different size panels, & see if there is room for one more on my 17. I still plan to carry the portable panel, but wouldn't mind a bit more power when traveling & when I don't want to dig out the portable panel.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #39

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Fyi - i got an answer from go power about connecting the portable panel direct to the battery at the same time as ur roof system. The 2 systems will work together as long as the roof system controller has a higher amp rating than the portable system. He did not elaborate as to why.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Special purpose plug for solar...

I see an SAE Solar Plug referenced on the Go power website. They have a standard pigtail made to go with their portable panels. Would be just the ticket for a direct connect to the onboard Go power controller.

SAE Solar Plug | GPElectric

Zamp Solar Roof/Sidewall Solar Plug
Attached Thumbnails
GP-PSK-SP_0.jpg  
Attached Images

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote