Commode liners for dry camping - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
The only little bit of advice I'd give is watch the video linked back on page 2 or 3 of this thread first, so you know exactly what is entailed with managing one. Best of luck!
Oops, wrong thread!! Here is the link to that video:
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar688 View Post
I so appreciate you speaking out about this very important issue. I plan on getting a composting toilet because I really don’t want to deal with the black tank. But I plan on composting my waste on my property in the appropriate way. I would never want to throw it in a bag and have it end up in the landfill. Keep speaking out because it educates all of us.
Not sure I understand not wanting to deal with the black tank but as long as you are dealing with your waste appropriately go for it! I have friends that have composting toilets in their homes and they seem to work quite well but do take more care than a traditional septic system. I have also seen many different experiments dealing with our waste at shelters on the Long Trail in Vermont. Most use some form of composting to make them work. The key to composting is liquid quantities(moist is better than wet, so you need to separate and properly dispose of urine or soak it up with something else), attaining the correct temperature for the correct time to kill pathogens, and avoiding runoff from the system as it is still fertilizer and can pollute our surface water.

Composting human or animal manure is different than composting leaves due to the problem of pathogens and the relatively high density of nutrients that can cause pollution. Glad you are planning on doing it right!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar688 View Post
Yikes! That was personal ;-) I know not to put TP into the toilet if that's what you were going to follow up with! I compost my dog poop and can adapt that system with the compost from the toilet. As critical as some folks are, I think in many situations it can work very well.

When you say you don't put TP into the toilet are you talking about a composting toilet or a conventional RV toilet with a black tank?
Old 11-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
All I would say at this point, as long as one is planning to put the waste into a composting bin on their own property and not into a dumpster, a composter is a reasonable alternative.
What does one then do with all the compost? Information I have read says it should not be used for any plants/crops grown for human consumption.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #45

Trailer: 2021 21NE (due 4/20/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I just don't understand this fear of poop in a black tank and having to use a sani-dump. How is driving a container of poop around and waiting for it to compost better?
I have no fear of poop in a black tank although I think the black tank is more unpleasant then what I will be dealing with in a composting toilet. It's really all about how I am going to use my trailer and what is most convenient for me.
cedar688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
What does one then do with all the compost? Information I have read says it should not be used for any plants/crops grown for human consumption.
Not sure what other folks do but I have horses and donkeys (yes I compost their manure as well) In their field there is an area that is appropriate to spread composted dog waste and eventually composted human waste. It will not come in contact with composted equine manure which is used for gardens. To put things in perspective, what will be emptied from the composting toilet will be a small amount of waste.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
When you say you don't put TP into the toilet are you talking about a composting toilet or a conventional RV toilet with a black tank?
A composting toilet. RV toilet paper can be used in a composting toilet but it fills up the container faster.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I thought that question was a little over the top too. Everyone wipes their bum

I was attempting, with humour, to point out that if you wipe yourself, managing a black tank should not be an issue. I'd also note that a composting toilet does not make do-do disappear.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Not sure I understand not wanting to deal with the black tank but as long as you are dealing with your waste appropriately go for it! I have friends that have composting toilets in their homes and they seem to work quite well but do take more care than a traditional septic system. I have also seen many different experiments dealing with our waste at shelters on the Long Trail in Vermont. Most use some form of composting to make them work. The key to composting is liquid quantities(moist is better than wet, so you need to separate and properly dispose of urine or soak it up with something else), attaining the correct temperature for the correct time to kill pathogens, and avoiding runoff from the system as it is still fertilizer and can pollute our surface water.

Composting human or animal manure is different than composting leaves due to the problem of pathogens and the relatively high density of nutrients that can cause pollution. Glad you are planning on doing it right!
If I was full time RV user, had a family or went on lengthy camping trips, perhaps I would rethink the composting toilet because I would want to manage the waste responsibly. For my purposes, it would be more inconvenient for me to have a black tank and try to figure out where to find a dump station after I return from a trip. (which would most likely be forest service or national park) Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I was attempting, with humour, to point out that if you wipe yourself, managing a black tank should not be an issue. I'd also note that a composting toilet does not make do-do disappear.
Humor is good but I am not quite sure of the point you are trying to make. You would have to understand how I live and how I camp to get why a composting toilet makes sense to me. Besides, I find "do-do" in a compost medium that is ventilated, mixed regularly and left sitting 4-6 months easier to manage and much less offensive then what cooks in that black tank.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
So now we have 51 posts with an OP who "Hope's to have an RV". Is this ultimately one who wants to more than anything literally stir the pot? I'm done with this one.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I agree. The Escape facilities are adequate, easy to empty, meet industry standards and can be serviced in thousands of sites across the continent. So discussion on alternate methods, just like putting a wood burner in the trailer for heat. only really provoke opinionated arguments. It is everybody’s right to chime in but it’s really like plowing a one inch snowfall before it melts. Doesn’t make much difference in the long run. That’s why there’s the popcorn emoji I guess.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I read this thread with interest, because of my 1st experience with a neighbor camper using a composting toilet. when I figured out what he had, I asked what happens to the bag. "goes into the dumpster" was the answer. my perception is most who use compost toilets do the same. where we were camping, seemed like a reasonable option at the time, because there were a lot of people camping in this area. when camping, I like to stay far away from dumpsters, and public bathrooms.

my last camping trip I went through Death Valley, and drove up to the Wildrose campground and beyond. I read the rules, and it was recommended you dig a trench for your bathroom waste. start on one end, and cover it up as you go. on up the road to a higher campground, I meet a camper digging his trench right behind his tent. we didn't discuss it, but seemed like a better ideal than a plastic bag.

I don't think there is one answer, depends on a lot of factors that will be different for different people, their preferences, and what's appropriate for different camping locations/ conditions. excellent discussion IMO. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:01 AM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I read this thread with interest, because of my 1st experience with a neighbor camper using a composting toilet. when I figured out what he had, I asked what happens to the bag. "goes into the dumpster" was the answer.
Did you ask him why he called it a "composting toilet", since nothing is being composted?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
sorry, maybe used the wrong term, my bad. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You people are clearly all nuts. I suggest a little more mental leveling.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #57

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
What does everyone do with their dog crap? The waste receptacle in the park near me is always filled with everyone's bags. At least they are picking it up! Nothing worse than dog crap all over the place. Lived in a townhouse development many years ago and after a big snow storm they only cleared a small section of sidewalk in front of the mailboxes. Must have been 20 dogs that went #2 and it was a minefield just to get your mail. I moved. I have no patience for lazy, disgusting and inconsiderate people.
There was an ethnic person who heard on the radio that most accidents occur within 25 miles of home. So he moved...
Old 11-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
So, after reading (more or less) this thread, I'm wondering if the easiest solution, by far, is just to use a porta-potty (such as in our 17A). Saves money, time, and space, ......
Ah, we A-listers are such a peculiar bunch
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #59

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Can anyone recommend a leak proof and relatively easy to close toilet liner that fits securely over the Escape toilet for dry camping? I can’t seem to find one that is wide enough to actually pull over the edges of the bowl for a secure fit (at least not one that’s not $5 a bag, yeesus!)

Thanks!
What about 5 gallon bucket liners user for brining / food prep in combination with bulk sodium polyacrylate (same stuff that is in disposable diapers) to absor moisture. The bags are relatively thick for a small bag (2 mil I think). They are clear unfortunately.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Yeah, Don! My Porta Potty is easy. And I've made two trips from home to San Diego (500 miles one way) in the past few months. Only had to interact with the world to get gas. Easy to stop anywhere to eat in the trailer or use the facilities. 17As are awesome.