Commode liners for dry camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Commode liners for dry camping

Can anyone recommend a leak proof and relatively easy to close toilet liner that fits securely over the Escape toilet for dry camping? I can’t seem to find one that is wide enough to actually pull over the edges of the bowl for a secure fit (at least not one that’s not $5 a bag, yeesus!)

Thanks!
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What do you plan to do with the contents?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

Do you really want to know?

I'll put the bags in a 5 gal bucket lined with two trash bags, and then dispose of them when I can. I'm using some powder that's commonly used in medical facilities to harden the wee. Standard practice.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #4

Dispose of them where?
I hope you're not dumping in the trash.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #5

Glenn, I appreciate your concern but disposing of waste in a landfill-safe bag is absolutely legal, ok, and done by conscientious campers everywhere. My pal works in upper management for a major and well respected national land conservancy in the US - one of her main areas of concern is water quality -- and this is exactly what she recommends. Lots of info on this online as well.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Costco sells Kirkland brand 10 gallon wastebasket liners, 500 bags to the box. Fit perfectly and plenty strong. At 500 to a box, you an even double them and have plenty left over.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Glenn, I appreciate your concern but disposing of waste in a landfill-safe bag is absolutely legal, ok, and done by conscientious campers everywhere. My pal works in upper management for a major and well respected national land conservancy in the US - one of her main areas of concern is water quality -- and this is exactly what she recommends. Lots of info on this online as well.

I guess that's why governments spend billions on sewage treatment plants.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I guess that's why governments spend billions on sewage treatment plants.
What does everyone do with their dog crap? The waste receptacle in the park near me is always filled with everyone's bags. At least they are picking it up! Nothing worse than dog crap all over the place. Lived in a townhouse development many years ago and after a big snow storm they only cleared a small section of sidewalk in front of the mailboxes. Must have been 20 dogs that went #2 and it was a minefield just to get your mail. I moved. I have no patience for lazy, disgusting and inconsiderate people.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

From District of North Vancouver website
How to safely dispose of pet waste

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2020

A reminder that pet waste should be double-bagged before being placed in the garbage (not in your organics cart). This is especially important during the COVID-19 pandemic as we work to prevent the spread of transmission.
Small amounts of pet waste are accepted, as we want to limit the amount going to the landfill. Pet waste is potentially hazardous to staff and also produces methane, a powerful green house gas.
To learn more about how to safely dispose of pet waste, visit the Metro Vancouver website:
Old 09-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
From District of North Vancouver website
How to safely dispose of pet waste

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2020

A reminder that pet waste should be double-bagged before being placed in the garbage (not in your organics cart). This is especially important during the COVID-19 pandemic as we work to prevent the spread of transmission.
Small amounts of pet waste are accepted, as we want to limit the amount going to the landfill. Pet waste is potentially hazardous to staff and also produces methane, a powerful green house gas.
To learn more about how to safely dispose of pet waste, visit the Metro Vancouver website:
I don't have a dog but thank you for the education on waste management.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #11

While I definitely appreciate the environmental concerns here, and I have many of my own —I think it’d be great if we could keep the discussion to which bags fit in the Escape loo. If I could delete this thread I would, because I’m too exhausted to debate the pros and cons of pooping in a bag. So instead maybe we can just agree to disagree, knowing nobody’s committing any crimes here.

Thanks. I appreciate this community and the help
it has given me.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #12

If the moderators deleted ever thread that went on a tangent we wouldn't have a forum!
Old 09-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Another idea for a discussion at a rally.
Remember “I’m an idea man” no follow through.
But a catchy title
“What’s the Scoop on Poop? Canines, Felines, and Humanoids.
Ought to draw more than flies!
Iowa Dave
Old 09-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I've was a river rafter for many years prior to getting an Escape and often the designated "groover master" on a many trips, including an 18-day trip down the Grand Canyon. Nearly all rivers require some sort of portable toilet system. When I first started out, I used WAG bags suspended in a 20 ml ammo can: https://www.nrs.com/product/2737/cleanwaste-wag-bags).

This system has the powder that renders waste inert and is approved for landfills. I'm assuming you've tried this and found the bags didn't fit?? Seems to me you could arrange the bag so it would work.

I'm also assuming you're asking the question because you're either planning to camp when your Escape is winterized, or you're boondocking where water and/or a dump station are not available. An alternative to consider if you can't make the WAG bags work with your Escape toilet is use a different receptacle (I think a simple plastic bucket would work), and set it up outside the trailer. I have to say I eventually abandoned WAG bags because of the expense, and after long trips with a large group the bulk of multiple full bags got to be something I didn't want to deal with. So I bought an EcoSafe system: https://www.nrs.com/product/73050.02...-toilet-system

I have used this system for many years, on both river trips and tent camping and found it to work flawlessly. Of course, you do have to empty the contents eventually, but it goes into any septic cleanout or RV dump station, and it's not much more difficult than dumping your Escape.

Obviously both options would require a trip outside in stead of the comfort and privacy of the Escape's indoor toilet. But honestly, if for some reason I was unable to use my Escape bathroom, I would just set up my Ecosafe. It's good for more than a week with 2 people and doesn't require water. Hope this helps!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #15

Hey! Thanks for this. I used Wag Bags on the last trip and loved them, and they actually fit right into the Escape toilet - they were great. The only problem is that they’re really expensive, as you know, and I don’t really need two bags anyway (the zip bag and the main liner) if I’m not packing these out somewhere.

SO - I ordered the power that’s in the Wag bags from Cleanwaste (which I think is the key here) - I just need to find a less pricey bag that fits the loo. I’ll try the one suggested above. Thx!
Old 09-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
While landfill disposal of fecal material (animal or human) MAY be legal it is NOT ok or conscientious. A landfill is not designed to treat fecal material for pathogens or the nutrient loading it represents. Let alone the danger to the people who have to handle it along the way. This is an expensive and potentially dangerous and/or polluting way to dispose of your waste. I have 30 years in the Environmental Field, drinking water and wastewater operator licenses and a Masters Degree and would not encourage, condone or cite literature that promoted the disposal of untreated fecal material(treatment being totally elimination of all pathogens at least, which WAG bags do not do) in landfills or dumpsters. Unless you are camping in the dead of winter your tanks should do just fine. If you are worried about water use or freezing, do it in a bucket toilet and dump the contents in a real toilet when you get the chance NOT a dumpster. There are viable options besides standard septic systems or municipal treatment systems BUT they do have minimum standards to eliminate pathogens and just as important eliminate or use up the nutrient loading that human manure represents on our local water bodies.

BTW pet and farm manure is a real problem as well and is often a significant contributor to pollution of our freshwater systems.

I am sorry you only want info on using bags for your waste but this is NOT OK and should NOT be represented as a viable or sound option if your final disposal method is a dumpster or landfill. Honestly it would be better option to go off in the woods and dig a hole and do your daily business there covering up the waste each day of course and dig a new hole somewhere else tomorrow. There are even standards for how to do this properly though.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #17

Thanks for weighing in. While I appreciate your attempt to change one mind — and will take what you say to heart (instead of continuing what is in danger of becoming an, um, p***ing match) — I do think that if this is an issue of concern for you that you probably have bigger foes to tackle. I’m one camper. Tons of people use these bags, including campers on this board who have messaged me privately about this exchange.

Good luck and keep fighting the good fight - with gentleness. We all have the best intentions here.

Signing off, all best.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ian and Sue, thanks so much for your information on this subject.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #19

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
These plus Poo Powder work well. Very thick bags with draw-ties.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
While landfill disposal of fecal material (animal or human) MAY be legal it is NOT ok or conscientious. A landfill is not designed to treat fecal material for pathogens or the nutrient loading it represents. Let alone the danger to the people who have to handle it along the way. This is an expensive and potentially dangerous and/or polluting way to dispose of your waste. I have 30 years in the Environmental Field, drinking water and wastewater operator licenses and a Masters Degree and would not encourage, condone or cite literature that promoted the disposal of untreated fecal material(treatment being totally elimination of all pathogens at least, which WAG bags do not do) in landfills or dumpsters. Unless you are camping in the dead of winter your tanks should do just fine. If you are worried about water use or freezing, do it in a bucket toilet and dump the contents in a real toilet when you get the chance NOT a dumpster. There are viable options besides standard septic systems or municipal treatment systems BUT they do have minimum standards to eliminate pathogens and just as important eliminate or use up the nutrient loading that human manure represents on our local water bodies.

BTW pet and farm manure is a real problem as well and is often a significant contributor to pollution of our freshwater systems.

I am sorry you only want info on using bags for your waste but this is NOT OK and should NOT be represented as a viable or sound option if your final disposal method is a dumpster or landfill. Honestly it would be better option to go off in the woods and dig a hole and do your daily business there covering up the waste each day of course and dig a new hole somewhere else tomorrow. There are even standards for how to do this properly though.
I really appreciate your impute into this discussion. I don't have your credentials and so can not speak with the same authority as you. But I have for many years felt exactly what you have expressed. Thank you for speaking out. It's too bad people aren't prepared to listen.