Converting shore power to household outlet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you explain what you are trying to do, it might be easier to come up with the connectors that will do what you want.
Exactly. What is the use case? I think you're making this way more complicated than it has to be, when all it sounds like you need is a dogbone. If you're wanting to hook the trailer up to a 20 amp circuit, just plug the trailer power cord into the dogbone adapter, and the adapter into the 20 amp receptacle. Done.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Exactly. What is the use case? I think you're making this way more complicated than it has to be, when all it sounds like you need is a dogbone. If you're wanting to hook the trailer up to a 20 amp circuit, just plug the trailer power cord into the dogbone adapter, and the adapter into the 20 amp receptacle. Done.
YUp..that's what the little black adaptors are for..take the male 30 and plug it into the 30 female side & out w the 20amp male so u can plug into 20 amp house power. We sometimes run the AC while parked in the drive, like if we are working INSIDE the 21 or showing it to friends.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #23

Trailer: Trailer: Escape 19'
Send a message via Skype™ to debedb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Is the intention to use the Escape's shore power cord as an extension cord, without involving the Escape itself, to plug in stuff which has a common household plug on it? If so, then you can use an L5-30P to 5-15R adapter; just do a web search, but here's an example:
https://www.corddepot.com/shop/power...rator-adapter/

Brian -- that's appears to be exactly what I want!
debedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The use case was explicitly stated as not being this. It's what everyone expects, so it is what almost everyone offers solutions for, but plugging the trailer into a 15 amp or 20 amp receptacle is not what is wanted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:46 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The use case was explicitly stated as not being this. It's what everyone expects, so it is what almost everyone offers solutions for, but plugging the trailer into a 15 amp or 20 amp receptacle is not what is wanted.
Well, it may have been stated but not very clearly. If they just want to use the trailer power cord without the trailer, still unclear as to why.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Well, it may have been stated but not very clearly. If they just want to use the trailer power cord without the trailer, still unclear as to why.

The goal really is not the cord but a way to put in a household plug (thank you now that I know it is a 5-15) directly into the shore power receptacle (or into the receptacle of the power cord, if that's easier).
Old 07-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Maybe, but to me "household" and "male prong" don't go together. To me "household" and "receptacle", which is female, go together. But as they say, whatever.

Ron

Well, the household receptacle corresponds to the household plug, does it not? Since I wasn't familiar with NEMA nomenclature, I was trying to be as descriptive as I could.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #28

Quote:

I don't understand why the 'why' is important. There is a device that I wish to plug into shore power, without going through the trailer electrical system, because [various reasons].

Let's err on the side of me having an engineering degree and understanding volts, amperes, ohms and all that stuff, and the danger of live male prong hanging out there.

I just do not know the correct nomenclature for the plugs and receptacles and where to buy them.

Hope that clarifies it.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #29

Quote:

I don't want to hook the trailer up. I want a particular device that has a household plug to plug into the shore power.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
YUp..that's what the little black adaptors are for..take the male 30 and plug it into the 30 female side & out w the 20amp male so u can plug into 20 amp house power. We sometimes run the AC while parked in the drive, like if we are working INSIDE the 21 or showing it to friends.
Maybe those are it but somehow I cannot find them
Old 07-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #31

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
I think that this is what you're looking for?

https://smile.amazon.com/Conntek-141...s%2C559&sr=8-2
Old 07-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post

Great job, Steven!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I got lost on the first page....
But maybe it is one of theses you are looking for. We keep it in our converted RV cargo trailer so we can hook up our 120v line when camping in a 30 amp only site.
Also good when our friends show up to camp here in their tent trailer and want to just run a fan off of our 30 amp plug at home.
Attached Thumbnails
3F5F1626-1FDF-497B-B979-178736FA006D.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by debedb View Post
Well, the household receptacle corresponds to the household plug, does it not? Since I wasn't familiar with NEMA nomenclature, I was trying to be as descriptive as I could.
Yes, that made sense to me.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post

Yep, sounds right. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
But maybe it is one of theses you are looking for. We keep it in our converted RV cargo trailer so we can hook up our 120v line when camping in a 30 amp only site.
Also good when our friends show up to camp here in their tent trailer and want to just run a fan off of our 30 amp plug at home.

This looks like the exact thing too -- but what is it called, as in, how to look for it online or what to ask for in a shop?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #37

Quote:
But maybe it is one of theses you are looking for...
Yes, that's it - functionally the similar to what I suggested in post #13, but plugging into a TT-30 campsite receptacle instead of an L5-30 receptacle on the end of a detachable power cord.

Quote:
We keep it in our converted RV cargo trailer so we can hook up our 120v line when camping in a 30 amp only site.
This is a good example of the way these are used.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
The confusion thus continues when one needs to plug a std male plug of 30 amp size into a std household female receptacle, which has no bent blades. One therefore needs a special adaptor, currently unavailable at Wally world..whether u wear a mask or not.

But, er, that's exactly the question that was asked -- what is the right adapter for this situation?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Yes, that's it - functionally the similar to what I suggested in post #13, but plugging into a TT-30 campsite receptacle instead of an L5-30 receptacle on the end of a detachable power cord.

This is a good example of the way these are used.

Yes, thank you.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by debedb View Post
This looks like the exact thing too -- but what is it called, as in, how to look for it online or what to ask for in a shop?
The best way is probably to use the NEMA connection type names. Most people are not familiar with them, but that's what you can find online or in an electrical supply store. I've never seen one in an RV store or home building supply store, so I wouldn't expect anyone to be familiar with this particular combination.

Just as this was the way to find the version for a locking connector such as on the outlet end of the detachable shore power cord...
Quote:
Is the intention to use the Escape's shore power cord as an extension cord, without involving the Escape itself, to plug in stuff which has a common household plug on it? If so, then you can use an L5-30P to 5-15R adapter; just do a web search, but here's an example:
https://www.corddepot.com/shop/power...rator-adapter/
... the equivalent for the version which goes into a 30 amp campsite outlet would be a TT-30P to 5-15R (or TT-30P to 5-20R) adapter.

Although the 15 amp (NEMA 5-15) and 20 amp (NEMA 5-20) connections are different, many NEMA 5-20 receptacles (outlets) are designed to accept either 15 amp or 20 amp plugs. The adapter which Steve found is an example of this.

Tags
cord, electrical, power