Cooking with no stove - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Cooking with no stove

Michael.Chadwick
Today 10:28 AMMichael.Chadwick

We are nearing the decision point in our new camper.......stove versus no stove........can you use crock pots, electric frying pans etc.........will the voltage sustain that?
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you mean 12v crock pots and frying pans, probably not. With the standard 2x6 volts and solar you may have around 100 amps for use until recharging. Cooking outside is an option as well as using the stove inside when weather does not cooperate. The interior stove is a better alternative to cooking with 12volts.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Even if you don't plan to use the stove inside, I think it is still a good idea to get one. There may be the odd time you will need it and be glad you have it, and it will be there should you ever plan to sell your trailer.

You will not be able to do much with electric appliances on 12V, but if connected to the grid you could use anything you like.

Just curious, what is your reasoning behind maybe leaving a stove out of the trailer?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Eliminating the propane cooktop would definitely limit your choices of camp sites and the potential market when and if you decide to sell your trailer. We seldom use our cooktop but when it's raining or cold it's a real asset.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
Michael.Chadwick

We are nearing the decision point in our new camper.......stove versus no stove........can you use crock pots, electric frying pans etc.........will the voltage sustain that?
Do you know that the stove comes standard in every Escape? You are actually going to ask not to install it? That would be a major resale problem but likely a major problem for you, too, when you realize, uh, oh, bad decision. . Can only highly suggest that you keep it. And I say that when we can do without it also, the way we cook, not reheat, every kind of food we like in a microwave.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I was kind of confused by your original post. I assume you mean omitting the cooktop, and aren't talking about the oven. The word stove is kind of ambiguous.

I've not seen an Escape built with a finished kitchen and no cooktop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I was kind of confused by your original post. I assume you mean omitting the cooktop, and aren't talking about the oven. The word stove is kind of ambiguous.

I've not seen an Escape built with a finished kitchen and no cooktop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I thought maybe oven too but then asks about what sounds like stove.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You can use 120V AC cooking appliances, just like at home.

The main problem with this is that there is only power when you are either plugged into campsite power or using an inverter powered by the battery. If depending on the battery, even with solar power and the dual battery setup there would not be enough energy each day for most people to do all of their cooking.

Another issue is that with 30-amp power service the number of high-power appliances that can be run at the same time is limited. That includes the air conditioner or electric heater, and the (optional) electric element of the water heater.

If most cooking is done outside with propane, it can be practical for some people to go without the propane stove inside. A stove could be left out when the trailer is built, and added later if the decision changed or a stove were needed for resale, but it would be less expensive if included from the beginning.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cooking

Quote:
Michael.Chadwick

Unless you are very limited on weight, I would suggest developing a list of how you like to cook and what it would take to cook your way. The standard stove being included, I can see no reason not to get it. Other choices. Microwave (optional) oven (optional). 120 v appliances are all usable inside and out. Many campers like to cook outside when it's hot on a fold up table or if possible pull a picnic table under the awning. From there, the plethora of stove top cookers, camp stoves, gas grills, charcoal grills, Dutch ovens, pressure cookers, propane campfires, are only limited by your imagination and your overload springs. I left out wood fires, legitimate but not always an option in fire danger areas and wood restricted areas. Your only immediate choices that need build consideration are the microwave and the oven. The rest can come later. If the camping is not too crowded, you can plug a short heavy drop cord(s) into the 120volt outlet(s)on the current bush and cook off those too. Or run an outside fan etc. in addition to your 30 amp service feeding the camper.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Iowa Dave gave you some great info to consider Over the years, I've done all THAT. But, my future is looking different... no crystal ball here. I no longer want to drag along stove to cook outside.. when there's a perfectly good one inside..etc. TRY to figure out what your future should look like... THAT may give you the answers you seek....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
TRY to figure out what your future should look like... THAT may give you the answers you seek....
My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

https://youtu.be/8qrriKcwvlY

Ones future is always evolving. With kids leaving home, retirement looming, and travel plans decided, what once was will often change.

That said, outdoor cooking has always been a part of my camping no matter the style, and I hope it will be for many years to come
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We had a pop-up for about 25 years before our Scamp. Because it was brand new, we avoided cooking inside it unless there was no choice just to keep it "nice". That said, after many years we realized that all kinds of cooking could be done inside without damage to the interior. Besides, we paid for the equipment; why bring along duplicates to use outside? Our pop-up looked lovely when we sold it 3 years ago. I am not afraid to cook in the Escape we've got ordered and know it will do no damage. Besides, this trailer will be custom-made for us and I want to get the maximum use out of it myself. Not interested in "saving" it for the next owner. Just my thoughts.

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
...this trailer will be custom-made for us and I want to get the maximum use out of it myself. Not interested in "saving" it for the next owner. Just my thoughts.
I completely agree with this. I often wonder when I see a post for a used trailer for sale, and they say something like "black tank never used". Really? Why do you have a toilet then? The trailer is equipped with things like cooktops so you can cook on them - And toilets so you can use them - And awnings so you can sit in the shade. Just doesn't make sense to me to keep it as a museum, but to each his own.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Michael.Chadwick

What is your reason for eliminating the stove?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I have a stove. I rarely use it but on occasion I do. I think if I were considering ordering the trailer without one I'd ask for the exhaust hood, anyway. Then it would be safer and cleaner to use a camp stove inside if weather was bad, but you'd still have the counter space inside the rest of the time. However, you can also just cover the stove all the time and as others have said, have it for resale. It isn't all that uncommon to see a smaller trailer where the stove has been removed-some are just supplying campstoves with the trailer- but for a nice, higher end, mid-size trailer I think you'd want one for resale value, even if you hardly ever use it. Especially if it doesn't save you money or much money to leave it out.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #16
Site Team

I'm now on my second all-molded-towable. I waited seven LLOOONNNG years for ETI to create the perfect LAYOUT for me. GOT IT

But, I never considered my first, with resale in mind.. While your mileage may very (YMMV), why would you want to think your "memory" makers may be similar to some one else... they wont', and they CAN'T.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I completely agree with this. I often wonder when I see a post for a used trailer for sale, and they say something like "black tank never used". Really? Why do you have a toilet then? The trailer is equipped with things like cooktops so you can cook on them - And toilets so you can use them - And awnings so you can sit in the shade. Just doesn't make sense to me to keep it as a museum, but to each his own.
This, Absolutely this!
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
For me, not having a counter top stove is not an option, resale value alone. I would not purchase a used trailer without a stove. When the weather is bad, or if I want a quick soup or coffee, the stove inside is well worth its value.
Having said that, I love cooking outside. I have a 14" dual burner Camp Chef stove with a griddle on one burner and a grill on the other one. Either or both can be removed to use the burners with what ever cooking pots I want to use. Everything from pancakes to omelettes, stir fry to quesadilla's get done on the griddle. It is a little heavy to pack around, but oh, so worth it. If I am not on the road with the trailer, it all gets used in the back yard, or for tailgate parties. Someday, if or when the trailer gets sold, I will keep the Camp Chef system.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
When I camp I cook- outside with camp stove and grill and inside with my stove I like to cook so having a variety of tools is nice. I got this really cute all purpose stove /grill/griddle/ baker this year at the rally haven't used it yet but it's not very big maybe I can leave my stove and grill at home and do my outdoor cooking on that !
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #20

The OP dropped a bit of a conversational bomb, and has not been back. LOL