Cooktop not getting gas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 17b
Cooktop not getting gas

Hi, first time poster, new Escape 17b owner and we have a problem with our Dometic Gas Cooktop not getting gas. The fridge, furnace, and external tap are all getting propane after replacing the regulator today. I got some tips from Escape to disconnect the propane tanks and bleed the lines at the stove but that didn't work.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
BrinsonEscape17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
When you open the valve on the stove do you hear any hissing sounds?

I'm not familiar with the Dometic stove. Does it have its' own regulator?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:39 AM   #3

Hi @Ron_in_BC, Nope, no hissing sounds. The Manual doesn't mention a regulator and there's no additional manufacturer online documentation that I can find. We've tried leaving the burners on Lite to let the air flow out in case there's an air bubble too.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:54 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Is this a new Escape just purchased from the factory?

Make sure it’s not leaking gas in the area underneath the stovetop first, including when you hold the stove control down on “Lite” before going any further.

In our previous stovetops you have to hold down the control on “Lite” and then light the stove with a lighter, or match. Not holding the control down won’t let any gas go to the burner. Hold the control down while using a lighter over the burner for 30 - 60 seconds.

Hope this helps,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #5

Hi @Perry, It's a new stovetop in a 2022 trailer with a separate battery igniter. There's no propane odor at all. I just spent 5 minutes holding a butane lighter at the burner with no effect. Seems odd that the regulator would last only 5 months as well, but that's a separate story.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Did the stove ever work?
Old 08-06-2022, 08:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Are the valves on your tanks open? . Is there gas in the tanks? Is the regulator lever turned to one tank or the other? Does the furnace light?
When you open the valve on the top of the propane tanks they should be opened very slowly. Sometimes the overfill valve device sticks or hangs up. Pressure though the regulator can be checked with a Manometer at the port on the regulator that has a small visible hex head screw on the lower end of the regulator.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If everything else works, one possibility is a bit of teflon tape ended up in the gas line when the regulator was changed. Many of the stoves have their own regulator & if the crud got stuck in the stove regulator, that would cause the problem.

You could check it by temporarily disconnecting the propane connection at the stove. If you get gas, suspect the stove itself...
Old 08-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #9

Hey, getting back on line while on the road again. Thanks for the replies @rubicon327, @iowa_dave, and @vermilye, For more information:
* this is our 4th trip with the 17B after taking delivery this past Spring
* the first 3 trips the gas worked with every appliance: furnace, fridge, cooktop, waterheater
* This 4th trip the 1st half from Washington State to Colorado, again, everything worked (except for the battery system which another problem)
* the return trip, the propane was not flowing to the Fridge nor the Cooktop (both Dometic)
* Stopped at an RV center and they replaced the Regulator and confirmed there was flow to the external tap (my mistake, should have checked the cooktop and fridge) however, last night the fridge is working, but the cooktop is still not working.

* I did try holding the butane lighter to the burner for 5 minutes thinking that might break any airlock. no luck.

So that's where we are, now cruising along 70mph somewhere in Idaho.

Update: From Bliss Idaho, checked cooktop and surprise, it lit up. Elevation, 3,271ft.

Assumption: Regulator went out somewhere going east from Park City Utah (6000ish feet) and Colorado. At elevation and after replacing the regulator elevation wouldn't allow us to clear air bubble in cooktop stove until below 4000 ft.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Good theory. I like it when someone can come up with a plausible reason. Glad it is solved. Elevation over 6,000 does unusual things to refrigerators and furnaces. This is the first I have heard of a cooktop.

A funny thing is, identical models will behave differently at elevation. Maybe not so funny it it is your appliance misbehaving.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooktop, stovetop