Corroded Window Screws - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Anybody have a picture? I have a couple of screws with slight cosmetic issues. I'd dab with Tremclad, if I thought it was a problem.
That's Canadian for Rustoleum.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I pretty much distrust the quality of most anything made in China -- but unfortunately, these days that's hard to avoid. I recall a couple of years ago visiting the gift shop at a Cracker Barrel after the wife and I had breakfast there. There were quilts, country kitsch, etc, as anyone who's been there knows. The whole theme is "country store". And, you guessed it -- almost every single item was made in China. It bothers me. Call me old fashioned but I'm willing to pay for quality, especially if it means jobs for North America.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
These screws are on the inside and the only exposure to moisture is via condensation, correct?
Mine appear to have a tiny clear plastic washer that may or may not be protecting the screw head, but either way the amount of condensation to corrode these must be so prevalent for it to occur??
Old 01-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We camped in the 2010 17B for at least 100 nights from 9/10/13-7/1/14 and had plenty of condensation with non-thermal windows with no rust.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 19'
I pulled one and looked at it under a microscope. It is obviously that someone roughened it up on a fine sanding belt, you can see the passes on the out of round head. Then it was 'dusted' with black paint. If it was left plated we would not be having the rust. The plating was removed exposing the steel.

It not even low grade stainless ... its common imported crappy steel.

Our trailer is parked under a carport and inside temp is 58+, this is just raw steel rusting.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Who would spend the time sanding an 'out of round' screw head?
Really?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Who would spend the time sanding an 'out of round' screw head?
Really?
Now that is the question ...

The sanding was to give 'tooth' for the paint to adhere to. Resulting in an out of round head with obvious 'passes'. I can only say what I see through my microscope.

That's why it's rusting so quick, it's raw steel with the plating removed so the paint would stick, but very little paint was applied. It wasn't a bad plated screw until it was sanded.

And I wondered how the heck they dusted them with paint? Bare hands, or do the lucky ones have a glove?

I'd say a place where labor is dirt cheap .... maybe a place where virtually everything is made by hand, even millions of holiday light strands obviously hand assembled.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The window screws in the Trillium I am rebuilding were somewhat corroded too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #29

Nice picture.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The standards are not what we grew up with and are accustomed to.
I've seen cars come and go since the 1970's... and standards are indeed not what we grew up with. They're better now: a recent GM car (to avoid comparisons between companies) is better built, better finished, more reliable, and longer-lasting than my parents' GM cars of 1971 and 1979.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I've seen cars come and go since the 1970's... and standards are indeed not what we grew up with. They're better now: a recent GM car (to avoid comparisons between companies) is better built, better finished, more reliable, and longer-lasting than my parents' GM cars of 1971 and 1979.
And, they're more powerful while using less fuel, have over 90% lower emissions, and (the kid in me coming out) have more cool toys.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #32

Nice to see the core defenders on duty. Boy, they do look nasty. The question about your Trillium is- how old is it now? Ya know, it's tough being in business and when things aren't right the companies who truly excel in providing World Class Service don't make excuses- they correct errors.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #33

I can't lose the nightmare of the day my dad traded in a Mercedes 190D on a Valiant. I sat in the driver seat and couldn't avoid looking at the paint runs on the passenger door window frame.
Never forgave him.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
I can't lose the nightmare of the day my dad traded in a Mercedes 190D on a Valiant. I sat in the driver seat and couldn't avoid looking at the paint runs on the passenger door window frame.
Never forgave him.
Lol...my Mom had a Valiant. A true POS.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #35

I was surprised as anyone to go out to the trailer and see the screws rusted. And I am constructively trying to understand and solve the problem. Reace has offered replacement screws and that's what I'll do. The screws obviously came with the windows and ETI is caught in the middle again.

I don't see the point in showing old screws. We are talking about a new trailer and screws are all rusted in less then 4 months. I'm puzzle why when 'we' find any defects there are a small group of folks that seem to discredit it. What's the point? I thought we were all in the same boat?

You want to see some 'flying joints' next?

When you look at this one you can see it's shaped like a pie pan instead of the rounded screw head it 'had'. And you can see the light areas with little paint and the brown rust.

I wiped rust off with a paper towel and if you looked at it in a microscope you can see the obvious passes of a very fine sander.
Attached Thumbnails
screwed.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And, they're more powerful while using less fuel, have over 90% lower emissions, and (the kid in me coming out) have more cool toys.
I agree with you but feel sorry for the folks who have been injured and died due to the failure of ignition switches. I understand that have springs that look like springs but the metal is too soft and they fail.

To me these screws are just another small example how we are all getting screwed ... 1,367,146 GM vehicles recalled
Old 01-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #37

Klem- the screws didn't come with the windows; Hehr doesn't supply. They are OEM provided and the OEM is Escape; they buy them from one of their vendors.

Hey- I know lots of folks are getting tired of this topic, although there are probably many who are just beginning to be aware of the problem. I just want to say we LOVE our 21 and are going camping tomorrow!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I don't see the point in showing old screws. We are talking about a new trailer and screws are all rusted in less then 4 months. I'm puzzle why when 'we' find any defects there are a small group of folks that seem to discredit it. What's the point? I thought we were all in the same boat?
Time to take a Chill Pill, Klem. Or maybe one that allows you a better sense of humour. We are all in ON the same boat, this forum. One that was once populated by fun loving people (and I do recognize there still are lots here). I was just having some fun, and meant no malicious intent in my post.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Lol...my Mom had a Valiant. A true POS.
My other nightmare ( before dad bought his Valiant ) is me buying a model car kit. They all showed a Ford Mustang on the box, but when I got it home I found a Valiant ( and that's what it said on the label that sealed the box ). I glued it together in a rudimentary fashion, placed it against the wall of my bedroom and slammed the bedroom door against the wall.
It didn't even make a decent wreck.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have seen better corrosion resistance in US made cadmium plated screws than with low grade imported SS screws . Stainless steel is no guarantee against corrosion anymore.
It never was an unconditional guarantee. "Stainless" steel rusts less than mild steel, but is not immune. There are many stainless steel alloys, and all are varying compromises between corrosion resistance and other properties such as mechanical strength. There are good reasons that few mechanical components are made of any kind of stainless steel. In many cases, I'm sure the cad plated steel screws are a better choice than many stainless alloys.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote