Counter Extension Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Counter Extension Question

We just recently noticed that our flip-up counter extension (installed by ETI) by the kitchen sink, easily sways back and forth (with just the slightest touch of a finger), when in the down position. We realize this makes it super easy to lift and lock into place since there is zero resistance. By the way, we like and use this nice little counter extension a lot when doing dishes!

This realization, however, made us think...how much does this little counter extension rock back and forth, hitting the counter, over and over while under tow?... Especially during city driving? All those starts and stops...Hmmmm We know it's not a big deal but we just prefer to have everything secure, if possible.

So, for now, we decided to add one more item to our departure check list: Lift counter extension to the up (locked) position during travel. Now we feel a bit better knowing it's not moving back and forth and secure in place.

However, all this to say, we are curious if anyone here has figured out a way to secure their counter extension (so it doesn't move) when in the down position? Perhaps with something simple like velcro? hook loop hardware? strap? bungee? clip? magnets?...

My apologies if this has already been addressed here, just couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Maybe a little block on the bottom of the shelf with the magnetic latch and the plate screwed to the cabinet.
I will have to check ours.
Attached Thumbnails
E9165DD3-7AB5-4A11-B204-779EB2A46A37.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:31 AM   #3
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Maybe a little block on the bottom of the shelf with the magnetic latch and the plate screwed to the cabinet.
Hi Eggscape, What a good idea! Love all your mods, so if you pursue this... would love to see how you do it. Now to hunt and gather at HD. Thanks again for this suggestion! -Bea
Old 02-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #4

I went out and took a look at the table action and yes it could swing forward and back to rest unrestricted. A little extra unnecessary wear and tear and I would be concerned if I were off-roading the trailer regularly.

In the down position the support bars scissor together. A simple little hole though both would keep the top from swinging. It is hard to get some good light on the bars but a hole in this position would work...about 3/4s the way up I would think for the best results. Start the hole straight on then when you get a little dimple, raise the back of the drill a bit to make the hole on a downward angle. This will aid the pin in staying in place.

If the idea does not work...then not a big financial outlay has been lost.
Attached Thumbnails
22DFC6A0-920E-4402-9F73-4D96AF6F9494.jpg  

Old 02-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #5
Bea

Quote:
I went out and took a look at the table action and yes it could swing forward and back to rest unrestricted. A little extra unnecessary wear and tear and I would be concerned if I were off-roading the trailer regularly.

In the down position the support bars scissor together. A simple little hole though both would keep the top from swinging. It is hard to get some good light on the bars but a hole in this position would work...about 3/4s the way up I would think for the best results. Start the hole straight on then when you get a little dimple, raise the back of the drill a bit to make the hole on a downward angle. This will aid the pin in staying in place.

If the idea does not work...then not a big financial outlay has been lost.
Yet, another excellent suggestion, Eggscape! Hummm...not sure what we'll do, but you've given us some nice possible solutions here. Thank you! -Bea
Old 06-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
Bea

Quote:
I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion, Eggscape - it worked!! My husband screwed in a block and attached some magnetic latches and now it's not going anywhere - no more banging against the counter during travel. I like it because the 2 magnet latches make the connection nice and strong and it's so easy to lift the counter when needed and when it's down, it's down and secured. I was going to paint it but decided to leave it - can barely see it. This is a very small mod (compared to you and all the other amazing experts here) but our gratitude is huge! -Bea
Attached Thumbnails
52485B04-1A4F-40F7-863D-71903BC0E73D.jpg   8145BC24-E1AE-47BC-ACE6-B22A5FCA9BAD.jpg   2B15F22B-B5F9-4396-85C9-F398B57CA60B.jpg  
Old 06-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #7

Looks like it works…Glad I could Bea of help!

Old 06-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
Bea

Quote:
Looks like it works…Glad I could Bea of help!
Hope we can both Eggscape so we can meet at a rally someday! -Bea
Old 06-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hope we can bot.
The counter extensions are one of my favorite options. I have two up in the dinette. I removed the table and they are perfect for stuff I would normally keep on a table. Long arms are handy!
Old 06-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't get so comfortable with those extensions that you lean on them with considerable weight. I did, and had to replace the supports.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't get so comfortable with those extensions that you lean on them with considerable weight. I did, and had to replace the supports.
The only one I don't use is the one that comes standard, I think. By the door on the sink counter. I have the two in the dinette and on the TV counter. I didn't get the one on the wall by the bed as it needed the bathroom wall support added.