Counter Extension Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Counter Extension Question

After a few revisions of our Build Sheet somehow the counter extension that we wanted for our E19 disappeared off the sheet.
I've since ordered and received the extension and am ready to install.
I wonder if someone might be able to send me (or post) a photo of the extension installed? It would also be wonderful if I had a couple of measurements - the distance from the cabinet corner to each of the two brackets.
I assume that the top trim piece in the photo will have to come off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1297.jpg  
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Do these pics help?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3935.jpg   IMG_3936.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
I forgot to mention that the trim on the original counter stays on.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
After a few revisions of our Build Sheet somehow the counter extension that we wanted for our E19 disappeared off the sheet.
I've since ordered and received the extension and am ready to install.
I wonder if someone might be able to send me (or post) a photo of the extension installed? It would also be wonderful if I had a couple of measurements - the distance from the cabinet corner to each of the two brackets.
I assume that the top trim piece in the photo will have to come off.
Yes, remove the trim by slipping a flat bladed screwdriver under it, and save it to cut and reinstall if you desire

I had to install ours, as it had been installed on the bathroom wall, consider yourself lucky you didn’t have to patch an incorrect installation.

Anyways the measurements for mine are about 1 7/8” and 9 7/8” centered on the screws. You just want to make sure you’re roughly center on the internal wall supports. Note: I had to lower the fire extinguisher an inch also.

I’m attaching some pics, but it’s my first time on this forum so we’ll see if I pass.
Attached Thumbnails
F9C00086-6A13-43CC-8A9A-2F50475C5BA5.jpg   050F3B3A-0AD4-4744-9362-FCC73F3FB062.jpg   48B6344F-B9B8-4B1A-98AD-BEE36875690F.jpg  
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:07 PM   #5

If you look closely it appears that ksitte has the trim, and the counter extension is even with the counter. (Nice pictures ksitte!)

Ours I set back from the edge about 3/4 inch, as I didn’t want it to hang and be brushed walking past. I also haven’t reinstalled the trim yet.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #6

This is perfect. Thanks so much to both of you.
I hope I can return the favour sometime!
Old 07-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
I'm curious how that counter extension was missed during the build/configuration process. I thought the one next to the sink/in front of the door was standard on an E19. Was it intentionally deleted at some point?
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:51 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I'm curious how that counter extension was missed during the build/configuration process. I thought the one next to the sink/in front of the door was standard on an E19. Was it intentionally deleted at some point?
Perhaps a cost cutting deletion? Always best to verify standard and optional items on your build sheet with the factory.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Our original Build Sheet was revised 3 or 4 times. Once because we were offered to change our fridge from Dometic to Norcold, which we accepted. Another time because they could no longer get the retractable wall hooks. Then we added the WDH option and so on.

Each time a new Build Sheet was created we were asked to review carefully, which I thought I did, but lo and behold it appears as if on the final Build Sheet that I signed off on the counter extension had been deleted and I missed it.

So, I guess that it is my fault for not catching it but I'm thankful that it is an item that is easily added after the fact. It would have sucked if the A/C had been deleted and I missed it!
The moral of the story is to review every version of that Build Sheet really, really carefully!
(and no, the kitchen counter extension is not standard)
Old 07-27-2022, 08:53 AM   #10

I have in the past asked that the sink "hole" not be drilled. The standard sink cover without the hole can then become a nice flip up counter extension.....
Old 07-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Our original Build Sheet was revised 3 or 4 times. Once because we were offered to change our fridge from Dometic to Norcold, which we accepted. Another time because they could no longer get the retractable wall hooks. Then we added the WDH option and so on.

Each time a new Build Sheet was created we were asked to review carefully, which I thought I did, but lo and behold it appears as if on the final Build Sheet that I signed off on the counter extension had been deleted and I missed it.

So, I guess that it is my fault for not catching it but I'm thankful that it is an item that is easily added after the fact. It would have sucked if the A/C had been deleted and I missed it!
The moral of the story is to review every version of that Build Sheet really, really carefully!
Are you referring to the contract?

Our build sheet is exactly how we filled it out, with everything we wanted how we wanted it. But the contract was not, and even though we had to have it revised, we still missed things.

In my opinion, the build sheet to contract conversion is a broken process. One should feed the other directly, not be copied over and/or missed by a human.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #12

Not sure what contract you are referring to? Build sheet with options is the form signed by customer....?
Old 07-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. The floorplan configuration guide posted on Escape's website still indicates that it is a standard feature on the E19. I wish they would update their documentation if that has changed. I find it concerning because I want that extension....and wouldn't have specified it on my build, assuming it came standard.
Attached Thumbnails
E19_Counterext.jpg  
Old 07-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure what contract you are referring to? Build sheet with options is the form signed by customer....?
No, the build sheet is an excel spreadsheet, the contract is what we signed. We filled out the build sheet, someone converted it to a contract that we signed. It was a different document in our case, and had several things missing or incorrect

Hence all the revisions and mistakes.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. The floorplan configuration guide posted on Escape's website still indicates that it is a standard feature on the E19. I wish they would update their documentation if that has changed. I find it concerning because I want that extension....and wouldn't have specified it on my build, assuming it came standard.
We had the counter extension of our 19. Not sure if we paid extra for it or not.

We had the retractable screen door and the extension was useful for that situation. Did find that it was a bit in the way getting around when exiting the door etc.

It must have been an option on the 21 because ours didn't have one. In retrospect I'm quite happy about that because we make heavy use of the screen door pass through. In the standard configuration the extension is at counter height. This isn't ideal. If you set things like a brimming cup of coffee etc. on the extension and then exit, counter height doesn't work as well as having the extension a little lower.

I made two extensions. The one by the door is a little smaller to be less in the way of the door and mounted a little lower to make the pass through situation better.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0021_resize.jpg   IMGP0028_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #16

Quote:
I think the standard on that diagram refers to the standard location for the extension not that it is standard equipment.
I do see how that would be confusing though since other diagrams, like exterior lighting, show "standard" lights that are included in the base price.
If you do want the counter extension I think this would be worth pointing out to ETI.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
No, the build sheet is an excel spreadsheet, the contract is what we signed. We filled out the build sheet, someone converted it to a contract that we signed. It was a different document in our case, and had several things missing or incorrect

Hence all the revisions and mistakes.
I've gone back and reviewed all of our paperwork and like cpaharley the only thing we signed is the Build Sheet.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We had the counter extension of our 19. Not sure if we paid extra for it or not.

We had the retractable screen door and the extension was useful for that situation. Did find that it was a bit in the way getting around when exiting the door etc.

It must have been an option on the 21 because ours didn't have one. In retrospect I'm quite happy about that because we make heavy use of the screen door pass through. In the standard configuration the extension is at counter height. This isn't ideal. If you set things like a brimming cup of coffee etc. on the extension and then exit, counter height doesn't work as well as having the extension a little lower.

I made two extensions. The one by the door is a little smaller to be less in the way of the door and mounted a little lower to make the pass through situation better.

Ron
Did you have any problem screwing into something solid? I assumed that the extension is mounted high and to the right in order to catch cabinet frame.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
I think the standard on that diagram refers to the standard location for the extension not that it is standard equipment.
I do see how that would be confusing though since other diagrams, like exterior lighting, show "standard" lights that are included in the base price.
If you do want the counter extension I think this would be worth pointing out to ETI.
It's currently listed online as a standard interior feature for the 19 in the "Base Features" section. This definitely needs to be clarified with ETI...
Attached Thumbnails
counter_ext_std.jpg  
Old 07-27-2022, 04:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Did you have any problem screwing into something solid? I assumed that the extension is mounted high and to the right in order to catch cabinet frame.
Good question and observation. No, the bracket isn't screwed into something solid. But there's an alternative way of mounting it.

On the extension by the door the gable end of the counter does have some solid stock but not in locations that were useful to me.

The gable end is hollow core construction. So screws wouldn't have any useable bite. The solution in this situation, a hollow core with access to both sides is to drill an oversize hole, large enough to fit a tube the same length, or slightly shorter, then the thickness of the panel. It's called a compression sleeve. I just use a short length of copper tube. The same is done for installations on decks of boats where there's a soft core between the exterior and interior. Then a machine screw and nut hold things firmly without crushing the panel. Works for a variety of situations.

The other situation, the computer extension, is another situation where no suitable framing was available. But the drawer is instantly removable so I just hot melt glued in a backing block and screwed the bracket in place.

More info than you probably needed, but there's usually a way to mount things firmly even in the absence of framing.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote