cracked propane pigtail hose - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
cracked propane pigtail hose

I was surprised to find a crack on 1 of the 2 propane pigtail hose yesterday.. less than 1 year owning the RV.

I think it's Camco.. and looking at Amazon review, it seems this is an issue.

Has anyone found a better pigtail hose for our setup?
Also, is it easy to replace the pigtail?

Thanks!
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
I was surprised to find a crack on 1 of the 2 propane pigtail hose yesterday.. less than 1 year owning the RV.

I think it's Camco.. and looking at Amazon review, it seems this is an issue.

Has anyone found a better pigtail hose for our setup?
Also, is it easy to replace the pigtail?

Thanks!
I replaced the ones on my 17 twice in the 6 years I owned it. High heat, combined with vibration & age seems to do them in.

Not at all difficult, although they come in different lengths - measure yours to get the same. Depending on the fittings, flare type do not use teflon tape, while standard threaded ones should use yellow teflon tape or pipe dope.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Has anyone found a better pigtail hose for our setup?Also, is it easy to replace the pigtail?
Here is a post I made when I replaced pigtails. Much better hose quality is the Mr. Heater brand. Link in the post.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post220269
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Here is a post I made when I replaced pigtails. Much better hose quality is the Mr. Heater brand. Link in the post.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post220269
Didn't know at the time of our replacement Mr. Heater were the best but besides a new regulator used those new hoses . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I changed both the regulator and pigtails with Marshall brand within the first year. Best part is no more weird noises coming from the regulator.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If the current hoses screw directly into the aluminum regulator body with a pipe thread, I suggest adding adapters to inverted flare, and using hoses with inverted flare ends, as described in the discussion linked above. It will save trouble in the long run, especially if multiple hose changes are required.

Essentially all tank pigtails now have the QCC-1 connection, which means they have the big plastic hand nut which engages coarse acme threads on the outside of the tank valve, so it's hard to buy anything but the right hose, as long as the regulator end and length are right. On the other hand, Escape uses pigtails containing excess flow valves with a higher flow rating - those can be identified by the green nut; the standard flow rated version has a black nut. It is probably a good idea to get the higher-flow (green) ones.

I doubt there's much difference between major brands. I just buy whatever brand I find in local stores, and have never had to replace one later (but we don't have hot weather here).

The replacement just takes the right size wrenches (or a couple of adjustable wrenches and some patience), plus thread dope or tape if you have to handle a pipe thread. It's not difficult compared to most RV maintenance work, but due to the involvement of propane it's worth doing right and checking for leaks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
I heard gas escaping when I valved in the propane while preparing for our trip last week. Both pigtails were severely cracked and one was leaking (see photo). I'm surprised they failed after only 4 years (manufactured June 2014), since the hoses on my 20-year old grill still are in great condition.

I ordered stainless-steel reinforced pigtails, on sale from Camper World: https://www.campingworld.com/rv-type...gtail-flare-15. I hope they last longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Pigtails.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Propane hose vulnerability?

Since this thread is centered on propane hoses, this information may be related.
Recently obtained a 2015 17B from a fine gentleman in West Virginia, and wished to freshen it up, so to speak.
Noticed that the propane bottles pan, which is attached to tongue with self tapping screws had some rust. Removing the pan revealed the screws had rusted extensively, and rust had started attacking the tongue as well as the bottom of the pan. Grind/sand and paint; can do!
Noticed main propane supply hose from regulator was fed through hole in pan which did not have any type of grommet on raw metal to protect hose from chaffing. Perhaps splitting some hose type material to mount as a grommet will work.
Any recommendations?
Otherwise, hoses and connections appeared in good shape. Based on the information others have provided we will keep an eye out for those problems.
Thanks!!
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by George and Linda View Post
Since this thread is centered on propane hoses, this information may be related.
Recently obtained a 2015 17B from a fine gentleman in West Virginia, and wished to freshen it up, so to speak.
Noticed that the propane bottles pan, which is attached to tongue with self tapping screws had some rust. Removing the pan revealed the screws had rusted extensively, and rust had started attacking the tongue as well as the bottom of the pan. Grind/sand and paint; can do!
Noticed main propane supply hose from regulator was fed through hole in pan which did not have any type of grommet on raw metal to protect hose from chaffing. Perhaps splitting some hose type material to mount as a grommet will work.
Any recommendations?
Otherwise, hoses and connections appeared in good shape. Based on the information others have provided we will keep an eye out for those problems.
Thanks!!
Another good place to check. Thanks! I will probably use one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-AST/202522461
Attached Thumbnails
gardner-bender-tool-accessories-ghg-ast-64_1000.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A couple weeks ago (July long weekend) as I was preparing the Escape for a trip to Banff, I opened the valves on my propane tank and heard a hissing. Sure enough, one of my propane hoses had a crack. Since I was in a rush to get away, I ended up paying the extorsionist prices at a local RV shop for a new hose, which was nearly twice the cost of a similar product on Amazon. I guess that from now on, when connecting my tanks I will pay a little more attention to rotating the tanks a small amount as required to minimize the bend radius on my hoses.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George and Linda View Post
Noticed main propane supply hose from regulator was fed through hole in pan which did not have any type of grommet on raw metal to protect hose from chaffing. Perhaps splitting some hose type material to mount as a grommet will work. Any recommendations?
Interesting timing. I just replaced our propane regulator on Saturday and dealt with this issue. I noticed that Escape had wire tied a piece of lightweight plastic tubing that was sliced and cupped around the hose. I think they only had a piece further underneath where it rubbed against the threaded rod that extends through. I noticed the hole in the pan needed something too. Since I had it all apart I slid a 12" piece of 3/4" I.D. reinforced heater hose over the propane line and then zip tied it tight in a few places. This fits perfectly and is long enough to protect from rubbing in both locations. I had the tubing on hand. Hardware stores usually sell this by the foot but unfortunately my local Lowe's/HD makes you buy 10' now.

www.homedepot.com/p/UDP-3-4-in-I-D-x-10-ft-Rubber-Heater-Hose-T62006003/304185178
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
I heard gas escaping when I valved in the propane while preparing for our trip last week. Both pigtails were severely cracked and one was leaking (see photo). I'm surprised they failed after only 4 years (manufactured June 2014), since the hoses on my 20-year old grill still are in great condition.

I ordered stainless-steel reinforced pigtails, on sale from Camper World: https://www.campingworld.com/rv-type...gtail-flare-15. I hope they last longer.
Those stainless braid hoses look nice. Just curious since your pigtails look so bad...do you always keep a propane cover over the tanks?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While you are working on the propane tanks, I'd suggest installing some clear plastic automotive edge guard to the propane tank bottoms. Will keep them from scratching as well as allow water to evaporate.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
T&B makes snap in plastic bushings which are used to run wiring through metal studs . They are inexpensive , easy to install and stay in place
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
While you are working on the propane tanks, I'd suggest installing some clear plastic automotive edge guard to the propane tank bottoms. Will keep them from scratching as well as allow water to evaporate.
Thanks Jim! Good solution for that issue. Thanks also to rubicon327 for the tip about the heater hose, which is usually made of tough material.
George
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Those stainless braid hoses look nice. Just curious since your pigtails look so bad...do you always keep a propane cover over the tanks?
Yes, I always kept the propane cover in place.