Cracked shell - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
YN

Trailer: 2008 17B
Cracked shell

Hi all

Just wanted to see if any of you have seen and/or experienced the structural issue.

I have a 2008 17B. Bought used and it has been free of major issue till now, other than Dometic fridge needed replacement. I've taken it to Alaska Highway, BC Forestry Service Road and other dirt road. But I am a gentle user, I think.

When I was prepping for a trip the other day, I found a crack approx 2" long on driver side wheel well, where fiberglass shell and steel frame meets. Pictures attached.

I took it to the RV repair shop close by. They recommended me to take it to the bigger shop with better facility... Which I will do next.

I saw the thread that Escape doesn't take any more repair job... That's too bad. I was hoping that they might have some knowledge/experience with this kind of repair. I checked the forum but couldn't seem to find anybody posting issue like this...

Anybody out there who had it before?? How did the fix go? I will get it fixed in the end, but would be nice to know what to expect...

Thanks
YN
Attached Thumbnails
Edited_20210818_151330.jpg   20210817_165541~2.jpg   20210817_165550~2.jpg  
YN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Are those pictures taken inside the shell? Or outside?
Old 08-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
YN

Outside. In front of the driver side tire. I had to crop the pic to upload... Tire is located bottom right of this pic.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #4

Beats me. Maybe a rock flew up and hit you. These are pix of mine. Should be same area you described. I got my 17B new July 2008.
Attached Thumbnails
wheel well driver side.jpg   Wheel well passenger side.jpg  
Old 08-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YN View Post
Hi all

Just wanted to see if any of you have seen and/or experienced the structural issue.

I have a 2008 17B. Bought used and it has been free of major issue till now, other than Dometic fridge needed replacement. I've taken it to Alaska Highway, BC Forestry Service Road and other dirt road. But I am a gentle user, I think.

When I was prepping for a trip the other day, I found a crack approx 2" long on driver side wheel well, where fiberglass shell and steel frame meets. Pictures attached.

I took it to the RV repair shop close by. They recommended me to take it to the bigger shop with better facility... Which I will do next.

I saw the thread that Escape doesn't take any more repair job... That's too bad. I was hoping that they might have some knowledge/experience with this kind of repair. I checked the forum but couldn't seem to find anybody posting issue like this...

Anybody out there who had it before?? How did the fix go? I will get it fixed in the end, but would be nice to know what to expect...

Thanks
YN
I have heard of people taking fiberglass trailers to boat repair facilities who work on fiberglass boats. Might be some around the Surrey area.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
YN

Thank you, gbaglo, for taking time to take pic on yours. First pic of yours are where it's at. I just have no idea how it happened. Passenger side is fine on mine. I guess I will find out when I have someone taking a close look at this.

Yangstyle, thank you for suggestion. Just because it's a structural area, I'd rather have someone with RV knowledge look at it. First two RV repair place said they could fix it cosmetically but it will come back. I totally agree that it will need some reinforcement.

I love my 17B so I will get it fixed!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I would take it to a boat Fiberglass repairman. The stresses on boats is a lot higher than on RV's and the repair protocol will likely be way stronger than original. I would bet they grind it out, realign and ad CSM or stitchmat , with polyester resin. It is a very simple repair for anyone who repairs glass work.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Agree with the suggestion to go to a good boat FG repair facility. Boats have stressors come from every which angle including sometime constant pounding. A good shop can look at the area and determine the best approach for a structural repair.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:37 PM   #9

Check out Ladner boat shops.
IE. https://www.facebook.com/boatshopvancouver.ca/
Old 08-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #10
YN

Thank you, sofmerc and bborzell. I was thinking to hit 2 big EV repair place for opinion but changed my mind a bit. I will go to one RV place (recommended by other RV place) and one or two FB boat repair place. I'm pretty sure I can find somebody good in Lower Mainland. Fire ban in BC so my season will be shorter than I wanted. Might as well take advantage of it as good downtime.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:05 PM   #11
YN

Looks pretty good! Will be on my list for sure. Thank you
Old 08-18-2021, 11:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That's where the frame steps up from the main section to the rear extension. To me, it looks like either the step in the frame is taller than the step in the shell (so the part in front of the step is ripping off of the rear part instead of being supported by the frame right up to the step), or the shell was forced rearward against the step.

This part of the shell design has been essentially the same since the first Escape, and I don't recall anyone mentioning a problem like this before.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't recall anyone mentioning a problem like this before.
Nor I.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
If your fridge, furnace or AC doesn't work, go to a local RV shop. If your fiberglass shell has issues, go to a marina that does fiberglass repairs.

I expect the trailer frame is flexing a bit. With the tight radius there, the only thing that can happen is a crack to form. I would clean and inspect the steel frame. It is possible you may have a cracked frame.

I wouldn't get to excited about it as long as the steel frame is ok. It's easy to fix with a little YouTube.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #15
YN

Thank you, all! I see two FB boat repair shop near by that also fix RV. I will contact them and go from there. Hope it doesn't cost too much. Once repaired, I will post the pictures.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
I also agree with going to a boat place. Unless an RV shop deals and repairs fiberglass trailers on a regular basis they have no idea. I wouldn’t let an RV repair shop touch mine with a ten foot pole.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IF this is in the wheel well area, it's possible the structural work for the repair will need to be done from inside the trailer. Oh dear.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #18
YN

Fixed!

Hi again.
I took it to the local boat repair shop. We just cound't nail down the cause. Could be a rock hit, could be the pressure from the frame. Who knows. It would be super painful to fix from inside due to cabinets, so he did it from exterior for VERY reasonable price. Pic attached. He matched the color very well! He put some caulking between the frame and shell, hoping that it would help reducing the direct contact. Will see. Would be nice to have some rubber mount to absorb the shock/impact... He did warn me that it could happen again in the future. But, now I know where to go and price was awesome. So happy to find a place locally.
Attached Thumbnails
20210925_163752.jpg   20210925_163818.jpg  
Old 09-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Always good to read of a satisfying outcome to a problem, congrats and thanks for sharing!
Old 09-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by YN View Post
Hi again.
I took it to the local boat repair shop. We just cound't nail down the cause. Could be a rock hit, could be the pressure from the frame. Who knows. It would be super painful to fix from inside due to cabinets, so he did it from exterior for VERY reasonable price. Pic attached. He matched the color very well! He put some caulking between the frame and shell, hoping that it would help reducing the direct contact. Will see. Would be nice to have some rubber mount to absorb the shock/impact... He did warn me that it could happen again in the future. But, now I know where to go and price was awesome. So happy to find a place locally.
he did a great job, looks good