Cracked toilet valve - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Cracked toilet valve

Getting the trailer out yesterday and getting ready to dewinterize. Accidently cycled the pump and later discovered a puddle of antifreeze on bathroom floor. Found toilet valve cracked at black fitting. In researching a replacement, discovered that this is a typical failure for this valve. Glad to have the optional shutoff ahead of toilet. I ordered two valves, one for spare parts. Valves $22 USD on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190621_152619008.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Do you happen to have a link? I'm bookmarking tips like yours.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's an excellent price!! I bought mine through a local RV parts department.
Attached Thumbnails
toiletvalv.jpg  
Old 06-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Carl, for the benefit of the group would you mind sharing the particulars of how you winterized and conditions the trailer was subjected to while winterized, or any other thoughts or info about how the failure occurred?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The picture reveals the valve is full of antifreeze? wonder what happened?
Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The picture reveals the valve is full of antifreeze? wonder what happened?
Looking at Amazon reviews it sounds like the plastic at the fitting is prone to cracking, combination of stiff supply line and the usual bouncing around like everything else in a trailer, it is apparently a weak point. There is another valve also on Amazon that claims to be a more durable plastic that holds up better than the original....who knows? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F2SKL...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 06-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Looking at Amazon reviews it sounds like the plastic at the fitting is prone to cracking, combination of stiff supply line and the usual bouncing around like everything else in a trailer, it is apparently a weak point. There is another valve also on Amazon that claims to be a more durable plastic that holds up better than the original....who knows? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F2SKL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Bookmarked!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had a showed control break over the winter with anti freeze in it on my last trailer, the goop isn't perfect.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Saved the linked product in my Amazon wish list!
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Same info I found. Didn't see the new improved. I will stick with the factory valves for now. Point of info, trailer was heavily winterized. I go through about 6 gallons of antifreeze with heavy flushing.

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Same info I found. Didn't see the new improved. I will stick with the factory valves for now. Point of info, trailer was heavily winterized. I go through about 6 gallons of antifreeze with heavy flushing.
Wow, that is a lot, do you not have the Ez-Winterizing "T" set up or put antifreeze in tank. Even using a hand pump, 2 gallon was all I used, one with the Ez-set up.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, that is a lot, do you not have the Ez-Winterizing "T" set up or put antifreeze in tank. Even using a hand pump, 2 gallon was all I used, one with the Ez-set up.
I have the EZ but prefer filling the tank and pumping through the system. Overkill i know. Use a half gallon in traps. Burp the city water inlet.

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

I have the EZ but prefer filling the tank and pumping through the system. Overkill i know. Use a half gallon in traps. Burp the city water inlet.

So why do you think the valve froze? Antifreeze should have protected it down to minus-whatever-degrees, right? Did it get colder than that? Did you blow out the lines before antifreezing, or just displace the water that was there? I’d like to learn how “what seems should have been good enough” failed.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
So why do you think the valve froze? Antifreeze should have protected it down to minus-whatever-degrees, right? Did it get colder than that? Did you blow out the lines before antifreezing, or just displace the water that was there? I’d like to learn how “what seems should have been good enough” failed.
The valve did not freeze. Apparently the valve has a known weakness at this fitting and they crack there. Many accounts on line of them being susceptable to vibration and shock. We went through some terrible roads last summer on our Nova Scotia trip. Was hard on my 1Up bike rack too. My guess is the winter temperature swings were enough to finally cause it to fail.

I'll guarantee that it did not freeze, since I pump plenty of antifreeze through the system to purge any water. Typiclly i go through 5 gallon plus. Part of the reason I use so much antifreeze is to avoid having to blow out lines. Some of the stuff that comes out compressed air sources is pretty nasty.

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
The valve did not freeze. Apparently the valve has a known weakness at this fitting and they crack there. Many accounts on line of them being susceptable to vibration and shock. We went through some terrible roads last summer on our Nova Scotia trip. Was hard on my 1Up bike rack too. My guess is the winter temperature swings were enough to finally cause it to fail.

I'll guarantee that it did not freeze, since I pump plenty of antifreeze through the system to purge any water. Typiclly i go through 5 gallon plus. Part of the reason I use so much antifreeze is to avoid having to blow out lines. Some of the stuff that comes out compressed air sources is pretty nasty.

Of course now that you have a spare, the valve will never fail again!

I had heard tales of the valve cracking when I had the Casita and bought a spare just in case. Six years later, I still have the spare. I carry it with me every trip I make which means I will probably never need it. Isn't that how it always works?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think we can be so concerned about something breaking or maybe stops working while we're traveling we forget you can adapt. For instance, I'd never consider replacing the toilet supply valve while on the road. Because don't you need to pull the toilet and once that's done also replace the seal between toilet and black water tank? With my luck something would go horribly wrong and then I wouldn't have a toilet at all. I'd shut off the water supply line, flush with jug water and carry on.

I know I'd much prefer doing repairs at home, with all the tools I have and lots of time too.

As long as my trailer is safe to go down the road, I'd treat it like a hard-sided tent! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think we can be so concerned about something breaking or maybe stops working while we're traveling we forget you can adapt. For instance, I'd never consider replacing the toilet supply valve while on the road. Because don't you need to pull the toilet and once that's done also replace the seal between toilet and black water tank? With my luck something would go horribly wrong and then I wouldn't have a toilet at all. I'd shut off the water supply line, flush with jug water and carry on.

I know I'd much prefer doing repairs at home, with all the tools I have and lots of time too.

As long as my trailer is safe to go down the road, I'd treat it like a hard-sided tent! YMMV

If a part may need to be replaced on the road, I always try it first at home for difficulty and any special tools needed. That said, I found that changing the toilet valve takes about 15 minutes and doesn't require removing the toilet in the 21'. It's really simple to do if you can get to the back of the toilet - I guess if the toilet was butted up to the back wall, it may have to be removed but the Escapes all seem to have enough space behind the toilet.

Oh, a small shaving mirror helps to see what your doing!

Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 21' foot 2019
I had that happen the first winter, in Montana. i drained the system but didn't blow it out. That toilet valve is the one place that doesn't drain (it could have a petcock valve but it doesn't).

I ordered a new valve which came quickly. But I was not able to swap it out without pulling the toilet, which also ended up requiring a new wax ring.

I use the air compressor now, to blow it all out. No trouble since. I don't use anti-freeze in the water system.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote